Murree is a hill station on the border between Punjab and Azad Kashmir in Pakistan.
An American journalist Camile wrote, that, "Everything and anything can happen in Murree. Romance is in the atmosphere; intrigue is in the air. The roads to this happy holiday's resort embrace both the heaven and earth. In Murree it is easy to fall in love".
Murree was once a charming colonial town nestled in the Himalayan foothills - but the last 15 years have seen rampant development and today Murree more closely resembles a litter-strewn overcrowded tourist resort. However it remains exceedingly popular with Pakistani families and still receives glowing recommendations from this demographic. For the international visitor heading further north to the Galis (e.g. Nathia Gali) may prove more rewarding. In summer it is cool - even chilly in the evening - while light rain is common. In winter Murree hides herself under thick blanket of snow, however few tourists visit at this time and most hotels and attractions will be closed.
Taxis and buses run from Islamabad and, usually, take about 1.30 hour.
There are four routes to Murree from the capital, Islamabad: it takes 1.30 hour to reach Murree from Islamabad via the old Islamabad-Murree Road, it takes 1 hour to reach Murree from Islamabad via the 4-lane Islamabad-Murree Expressway. The Expressway has a bad reputation for accidents and there are often police stopping speeding motorists.
There are two less used routes that are worth exploring if you are not in a hurry. The third longer route to Murree from Islamabad via Nilore and Simli Dam - this joins at Lower Topa. The fourth is even more adventurous and starts from the Monal restaurant in Islamabad - if you keep following the road you will eventually end up on the 'old Murree Road' - this route requires a 4x4 as the road is unpaved in parts, and you have to bump over a riverbed where a bridge has been washed away. For this fourth route a print out of a google map and a GPS is strongly advised. Takes 3 hours or so - although you'll want to stop for photos!
The mountain drive is refreshing and the scenery is breath-taking especially on the Nilore-Simli-Lower Topa route.
Murree is the administrative Headquarters of the Murree district. It is well connected by road to other towns of the area. These small towns are Khanspur, Ghora Gali, Sunny Bank, Jhika Gali, Bhurban, Nathiagali, Ayubia, Kalabagh and Patriata. Murree is also linked by road to the larger towns of Islamabad, Muzaffarabad and Abbotabad.
Driving in or through Murree is at best a nightmare - the roads are too narrow, and the cars too many. There are alternatives. Public transport (buses, taxis and vans) are readily available but would be generally crowded. The best way to negotiate Murree in a car is to take the old Murree Road and park to the north of Murree and walk in to the centre. Similarly if heading to Nathiagali or other towns north of Murree take the old road (which acts as a Murree by-pass) and turn on to the Abbottabad road). If you must take the expressway then take this past Murree to Lower Topa, then take the Lower Topa - Murree road, which will take you to the Abbottabad road. Just to restate avoid driving through the centre of Murree at pretty much all costs.
Except for the Islamabad-Murree highway all other roads are single / two lane roads and the driver should be conversant with mountain driving skills.
The nearest air link is Islamabad International Airport and the nearest rail Link is at Rawalpindi Cantonment Station.
If you are to hire a taxi from Islamabad to Murree you need to pay just Rs.1200/- (if on petrol) or Rs. 900/- (if on CNG) and the taxi will drop you from Faizabad to Murree.
If you are to go by bus you have to pay around Rs.100 as one way fare.
Murree has now become a highly commercialized place. The residents of Murree area have adopted the profession of gaining easy money by becoming agents that roams around every corner of main Mall road to trap the visitors and take them to the Hotels, impersonating the hotel employees, however in reality these agents takes commission from the Hotel owners by bringing in the customers and taking percentage of commission upto 40-50% of the total amount paid by the visitors to the hotels for room. These agents actually chase visitors and frustrates them to get a room through them. The best way to avoid these agents is to book a hotel (Usmania Hotel, PC etc.) in advance, or DO NOT roam with luggage on Mall road.
- Kashmir Point
- Pindi Point - a chairlift runs up to here
- The Mall - the main strip with shops, hotels and restaurants.
- Lawrence College & Church
- Many locals believe that Mary, mother of Jesus, is buried in Murree and that the town is named after her (formerly Mari). Her supposed tomb sits on a hill underneath a television tower. Locals can point you in the right direction. You may need special permission to visit.
- Cecil Hotel, Cuart road (labelled as 'Murree Holidays' on Google Maps), . The original colonial hotel, built in the 1850s when Murree was founded, this place exudes old English charm, and gives a rare flavour of Murree's history. The Hotel closed in the 1990s but you can still ask the caretakers for a look around. Sadly the place is now surrounded by modern holiday apartments (the Cecil Resort) but its still got some nice views from the upstairs veranda. edit
The main attractions of Murree are its natural scenery and refreshing atmosphere. It is an ideal place for a family get away and vacation. With its many places of interests like Patriata, Ayubia, Nathiagali, Bhurban, Khanspur it offers many spots for picnics, mountain hiking and trekking. The best of these treks is from Dungagali to Murree on the water pipeline.
The area around Patriata has been developed and provides excellent hiking and trekking paths.
Chair Lift and Cable Car
Patriata has a scenic two stage cable car that would take the tourists to the highest point of Murree Hills. Those not interested in waiting in the queue for the ride can drive up to the Patriata top. PKR 400
Murree Safari Train
Explore the scenic Kashmir Point with the Safari train. PKR 150
Another exciting thing to do in Murree is visiting Sozo Adventure Park and get thrilled with haunted house and amazing adventure rides.
The Golf Course at Bhurban is unique because of its altitude and tough layout.
Hadiqa's choot is a popular tourist attraction, visited by millions every year. People travel from far and wide just to catch a glimpse of this natural wonder.
Murree has a variety of handicraft shops selling curios for the tourist to remind them of their visit to this hill station. Traditional clothing items , head wear, carved walking sticks, jewelry items and leather goods are abundantly available.
Also visit Millenium Mall - on main Mall road, next to Usmania Restaurant. A complete shopping mall with every kind of multinational brands in cosmetics, clothing, shoes, grocery, watches, leather, restaurants, coffee, ice cream parlors, sweets from all over the world, some of famous names are KFC, Pizza Hut, Indulge coffee shop, Nirala sweets, Gucci, Emporio Armani, Nike, Adidas, Pierre Cardin, Rado, Tissot, Victoria Secrets, and many more have already got outlets in this mall. 1st floor is only for joy land amusement park for children.
There are many restaurants in Murree, mostly along The Mall. One very popular restaurant is called Al-mai-dah.
'Fuschia Restaurant' near Kashmir Point just before the Governors House is a newly opened restaurant. It offers a mix of English, Pakistani, Italian and more. The Restaurant also has thrilling games for children such as a Jumping Castle, Trampoline, battery powered cars and an Arcade.
- Red Onion Chain of Restaurants situated on the main mall road, stands one of the most modern restaurant in Murree. Established in 1993, pioneer to 'Buy one Pizza & Get the second one Absolutely FREE' this restaurant offers a wide range of cuisines not offered anywhere else in the vicinity i.e Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Pakistani & Continental. Prices are very moderate, ambiance is modern & customer service is very friendly! Other branches of Red Onion; Nathiagali, Abbottabad, Rawalpindi, Islamabad, Rawal Dam & Karachi.
- Saffron: An elegantly decorated restaurant with stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. Saffron offered the ultimate personalized culinary experience. The menu is a blend of continental and local favorites including our very own rendition of the ever-popular chicken karahi and chicken makhani. Saffron lies overlooking crisscrossing paths, beautiful hills and valleys. The restaurants outdoor patio allows you to dine under the roof of the world , in the most breathing natural surroundings our part of the world has to offer.
- The Huqqa Pani Lounge with its gracious old world charm serves a variety of fruit flavored tobacco or sheesha. Apart from the shakes and drinks, the room offers a wonderful and relaxing atmosphere with a glorious view of Murree and the surrounding hills.
- KFC, Millenium Mall Murree at the end of Mall road
- Angeethi - the Grill is located adjacent to the Huqqa Pani lounge and follows the same earthen traditional theme. So after relaxing in the lounge, you can come and watch our chefs prepare a variety of mouthwatering barbeque dishes. The beautiful backdrop and the traditional ambience , combined with the delicious food make dining at The Grill an occasion to remember.
- Peshawar Namak Mandi Restaurant' on main Kashmir point, an open air terrace with views of the surrounding parks and road. The restaurant is famous for traditional peshawar namak mandi (namkeen tikka and karahai).
- Usmania Restaurant, Mall Road,Murree,Pakistan,47150, ☎ 053-7612058. Highly recommended restaurant in Muree, Pakistan. Its specialty is Pakistani traditional food. edit
- Spicy Grill at Lockwood Hotel Murree, Imtiaz Shaheed Road, Murree (Next to Cecil Resort (Cecil Hotel)), ☎ +92-51-3410112, . Serving traditional Bar Be Que and other gourmet dishes. Mouth watering Bar Be Que served in the moon light under the blue sky at the lush green lawns of Lockwood Hotel. edit
Hard liquor is only available to foreign passport holders at PC Bhurban hotel. However night receptionists at nearly all hotels are able to arrange some stuff for a little consideration. There are no bars or pubs.
- MR Cod, Main Mall Road, . Fine Fish, Chicken & Chips edit
There are many well equipped medical centres in Murree and surrounding which can always provide you with basic medical treatment,like Abbasi hospital at Suny Bank,Tariq medical centre Bhurban,alshafa clinic Murree and many more.Along with these medical centres there is a military hospital "CMH" situated on Murree mallroad.
Murree being a well established tourist destination has a wide variety of lodgings available to suit all pockets. The top of the line is the 7* Pearl-Continental Hotel at Bhurban. However PC Bhurban is 25 minutes drive away from Murree proper. Other good standard hotels are available in Murree proper besides a number of other hired lodgings of various standards. Another option is to hire summer houses. Murree also has a number of private and government owned rest houses and bungalows. Generally the summer season rates are 5 to 6 times more than the winter season. And be aware that some hotels may be extremely persistent to make you stay at their own hotels, which may usually be of low-class.
There are a lot of hotels and restaurants on Mall Road Murree. In May 2007, Usmania Restaurant charged us Rs.3500 for five triple bedrooms. They serve good Pakistani cuisine as well.
- Shangrila Resort Hotel Murree , adjacent to the Punjab House on Lawrence College Road in Murree is fabulous and a bit eccentric. Standard rooms begin at 7,000 PR, the Executive Suite (recommended) is 10,000 PR, and the Deluxe Room is 15,000 PR, Family Suite 2-Bed Rs. 8000.00 PR, Family Suite 4-Bed Rs. 12000.00 PR, Deluxe Room Rs. 15000.00 PR, Deluxe Suite Rs. 20000.00 PR. A nice and quiet get-away high up in the pine trees, Shangrila has a full restaurant, a grill, a tobacco bar, and a billiards room. Located near the shopping and commercial districts, as well as the famous Mall Road. Saffron all-day fine dining restaurant, offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets as well as an extensive ‘a la carte menu with an emphasis on natural and fresh ingredients. Full Service Restaurant, BBQ-Buffet Restaurant, Lounge for Family Reunions and Private Gatherings, Dining and Entertainment facilities, as well as several individual cottages, which are located in a secluded corner of the premises.
- PC Bhurban  The top of the line is the 5* Pearl-Continental Hotel at Bhurban. However PC Bhurban is 25 minutes drive away from Murree proper. It used to be a nice place but the standard is going down day by day. The main reason for this is the day spenders who just ruin the used to be calm atmosphere
- Jawa Hotel Murree . This is off of the mall, up the hill from one of the last roundabouts in town (heading uphill). This hotel takes credit cards! 051 341295052, and it has internet access. Rooms are typical world-3 star class
- Maisonette MorningSide  Nestled in the Murree Hills, it is situated in the posh Kashmir Point area, 50 meters from the Governor’s Residence. The suites are equipped with internet, flat-screen television, mini-bar, etc. The hotel also has terrace, gym, pool table, foosball, caram board, etc. It also houses a mini-cinema. They might be bit unreliable on their commitments so have a backup plan even if you have a firm reservation. Relations Officer, Mr. Asim :0321 9705729.
- Murree Holidays (Murree Apartments), Mount view road Cecil Hotel Murree (5 Minutes walk from Murree Bus stant), ☎ +92 315 518 2830, . checkin: 4:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 Noon. Amurree.com is the first service in Murree to provide online reservatin and booking. It is situated in main city with beautiful mountains and landscape PKR 1000/night. (33.90646,73.38855) edit
- Cecil Hotel, Cart Road, ☎ 0513411131-32-34. edit
- Hotel Amore, Donga/Doonga/Dunga Gali, ☎ 0992-355101-4, . edit
- Hotel LeGRAND, Changla Gali, ☎ 0992-357136-9, . edit
- Maisonette Firhill Murree, Murree, . edit
- European Complex, Bhurban, . edit
- Usmania Hotel, On main Mall Road, ☎ 051-3411337. In off season, a decent room will cost around R.s 500. In June-Aug. peak season costs around R.s 8,000. 8,000. edit
- Gali's End, in Kalabagh, just north of Nathiagali (about 25 kilometers from Murree or Abbottabad, and a little over 70 kilometers from Islamabad.), ☎ 0300-8564161, 0333-5636748, . A beautiful old house perched on top of a hill with truly magnificent views. What separates Gali's End from other hotels and guesthouses is that it actually has some charm, helped by its brick and wood construction, European style furniture and tasteful decor (rather than being a steel and concrete fabrication with over-the-top Pakistani furnishings like most other places). This is an excellent choice if travelling in a group - the house is divided in to 3 apartments, each with 2 of more bedrooms - and you can rent the whole house if you want. The place is self catering, but the caretaker can organise a BBQ or bonfire in the garden. From Rs. 14,000 per night for 2 bedroom apartment. edit
- Brightlands hotel, Imtiaz Shaheed Road, ☎ +92513410270, . checkout: 1200. 40 rooms. Mid range to high end accommodation available, including cottages for larger groups and families. The hotel was built by the English over 100 years ago. Beautifully built and well maintained. Offers great views and privacy. Varies. edit
- Murreepoint, Murree Point, STOP & SHOP, Bansragali, Murree., ☎ 0314-5282644, . Murreepoint is the resource of peace and hospitality for the huge numbers of tourist to Murree annually. Enjoy amenities and luxurious lodging at affordable price at Best hotels in Murree... 2500. edit
- Lockwood Hotel Murree, Imtiaz Shaheed Road, Murree (Next to Cecil Resort (formely Cecil Hotel)), ☎ +92-51-3410112, . checkin: 12:00 p.m; checkout: 12:00 p.m. Lockwood Hotel Murree built in 1880 is the only traditional style hotel in Murree. Stepping in the Lockwood Hotel is an experience, Ushered into an era long forgotten, one of a few places left in Murree, which gives you a rare insight of what the glamour of Murree was in the yester years when elites of the country choose Murree as the rest and recreational station for their Summer Holidays. edit
Murree can serve as a focal hub of your stay. Day trips can be planned for Nathiagali, Kalabagh, Muzaffarabad, Ayubia, Patriata, Khanspur, Bhurban and Gharial.
- Nathiagali is about 32kms from Murree. The bracing air of the surrounding mountains is as pure as fresh spring water.
- Ayubia is about 26 kms from Murree, (Khairagali, Changlagali, Khanspur and Ghora Dhaka, these four mini resorts spread over an area of 26 km have been developed into a resort complex called Ayubia). In addition to riding trails, hiking places and picnic spots, Ayubia has a chair lift at Ghora Dhaka, which attracts visitors to enjoy scenic beauty of Pine Hills.
- Thandiani is the coldest among other hill stations near Murree. It can be reached from the Murree-Nathiagali route, but it takes more time and the road is too winding. Thandiani is 31 km from main Abbottabad City and 25 km from Thandiani-Nathiagali crossing. The drive takes more or less 80 minutes from Abbottabad with lovely views on both sides of the road. The road spans more than 1219 m above Abbottabad. On the way along with tall majestic pine trees you come across groups of monkeys. The major place on the way is Kalapani at 23 km from Abbottabad. It has a beautiful local dak bungalow. Hule ka Danna is about two kilometres north of Thandiani. It is one of the most beautiful glades in the region. Thandiani offers lush green lovely views.
Trekking is the best sport to do, following are some of the treks:
- Ayubia-Changla Gali
- Ayubia-Dungagali, 4km, a must to do
- Dungagali-Mushkpuri Top
- Mushkpuri Top-Nathiagali
- Nathiagali-Miranjani Top
- Temoor khushhal khan