- Not to be confused with Münster in North Rhine-Westphalia.
Munster is a town in the Lüneburg Heath of northern Germany on the River Örtze. Munster is located in the middle of the triangle of the cities of Hamburg, Bremen and Hanover. All three cities can be reached in less than 1 hour. The town centre is very clean and modern with plenty of opportunities to visit coffee shops and cafes as well as the local market open at weekends.
The town is home to the German Army's largest garrison and is situated between the two training areas of Munster North and Munster South. Munster has been closely associated with the military for over 100 years. However the use of this area as a training ground goes back to 1893. The Munster military training areas, represent nearly 50% of the city's total area, are reserved for military use. Due to the restricted areas, many rare species and habitats can be found in this region. The region's populations of rare species have been previously drawn upon to restore populations in other regions where such species are endangered.
The Bundeswehr's Research Institute for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare Defence is located in Munster. In 1916, the German Empire opened Gasplatz Breloh ("Breloh Gas Facility"), an area dedicated to research in and production of chemical weapons. In 1935, the Third Reich reopened the site as an experimental research and production area for chemical ammunitions under the name Heeresnebelfüllstelle Raubkammer ("Army fog-filling plant, Raubkammer"), "fog" being used as a cover for chemical agents. During World War II, large quantities of sulphur mustard gas and the nerve agent were produced here. At the end of the war, Germany had a continuous production line for GB ready to go online; this plant was dismantled by the British Occupation Forces and later shipped to Porton Down, Great Britain.
The close relationship between the civil and the military circles is symbolized by the bronze statue of Lili Marleen. She and her soldier have been greeting all visitors for more than twenty years from their point of welcome beside the town gate leading to the centre of Munster. Thousands of visitors each year are attracted to the German Tank Museum. In Munster there is a wide range of hotels, holiday apartments and a 4-star camping site. There are several restaurants and guesthouses offering ranges of food. There is plenty of free parking available.
Munster is situated little more than 1 hours driving time from the 3 International Airports of Hamburg ,Bremen  and Hanover 
Hannover airport is 107kms from Munster. The international airport has regular flights from all over the world with services to most European capitals and major cities. The airport is situated 11 kilometres to the north of Hanover centre and has easy access to the autobahn. It is the ninth largest airport in Germany and is one of very few German airports which are open 24 hours a day, although there are very few flights between 11pm and 4am. Munster Oertze is approximately 107 kilometres from Hanover airport with an estimated driving time of 75 minutes. Hanover airport is also accessible by a combination of trains, buses and taxis.
There is also an international airport at Bremen which has many of the budget airlines operating regular flights to most European countries. The airport is located close to the city centre and there is a tram which departs every 5 to 10 minutes (on Sunday evenings up to 30 min) to Bremen city centre and the journey takes 11 minutes and costs €2.30. This airport is close to the autobahn links but is 124 kilometres and a 85-minute journey to Munster
Hamburg is the nearest international airport to Munster. It is located approximately 8 kilometres north of the city centre and is the fifth busiest airport in Germany. In 2009 extensive refurbishment improved road access and connections to the Hamburg S-Bahn system which will connect with the main Bahnhof in Hamburg city centre. The airport is 89 kilometres away from Celle and will take approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes by car.
Today regional trains work the line from Bremen via Soltau to Uelzen. Long distance trains (IC) trains only run on Fridays and Sundays from Berlin and are geared predominantly to commuting Bundeswehr soldiers. An Intercity link from Magdeburg used to run nightly from Sunday to Monday until the timetable change on 9 Dec 2007.
By train use the rail line No 116 Bremen - Uelzen indicated in the railway guide and alighting from the train at the Munster (Oertze) Station.
Munster lies on the B71 federal road between Soltau and Uelzen, not far from the A 7 motorway. You can reach Munster by car via the A7 Hanover - Hamburg motorway taking the exit "Soltau Ost" and following the through road B71 to Munster. Munster is well sign posted from all directions leading to the town centre and car parks.
Access from Hanover centre would be via the A7 (North) taking the exit "Soltau Ost" and following the through road B71 to Munster. The journey is 107km and will take apporx 75 mins.
Driving from Bremen ( from a westerly direction) will be on the autobahn A27 which connects to the A7 to the south-east of Walsrode. The A7 runs north taking the exit "Soltau Ost" and following the through road B71 to Munster. Driving Distance is 124kms and will take approx 85 mins.
Travelling from the north (Hamburg) is also via the route A7 taking the exit "Soltau Ost" and following the through road B71 to Munster. The jouorney distance is 85kms and will take 65 mins.
The town is small and it is quite easy to walk from most of the car parks.
There is plenty of opportunity for cycling in the area, there is public transport. ÖPNV (regional public transport)
Taxis available from Taxi Bormann at Lindenstraße 23, Tel: +49 (0)5192 4011
A Tiger tank in the German Tank Museum
- German Tank Museum, Hans-Krüger-Straße 23, ☎ 05192-2552 ([email protected], fax: 05192-130-9999), . Mar-Nov Tue-Sun and public Monday holidays, 10AM-6PM, last admission at 5PM. Adults €7, ages 6-13 €3.50, under 6 free. edit
- Ollershof, Kirchgarten 2, 29633 Munster, ☎ Tel.: (0 51 92) 2 810, . Ollerhof is a 16th century museum that can be hired for weddings. Enrty free, Weddings from €100. edit
Buildings of interest
- Munster Communications Centre. In the spacious building almost 30,000 media such as books, CDs, games which can be lent at no charge. There is also available to the public Internet access and is likewise free of charge. edit
Places of worship
- St. Urban's Church (St.-Urbani-Kirche), Kirchkarten 12, 29633 Munster, ☎ (05192) 23 21 / 1 07 85, . Tue, Wed, Fri 10 - 12 hrs Thur. 16 - 18 hrs. A 13th century church edit
- St. Stephen's Military Church (St.-Stephanus-Militärkirche). The only church allocated to an entirely military parish in Germany and the highest building in Munster edit
- St.Martin's sheep pen church. St.Martin's sheep pen church is an old sheep pen that was converted to a church edit
- Walking tours and Biking excursions, . In Munster, nature lovers and fans of cycling or walking tours can find the perfect countryside with the game enclosure and the "Dethlinger Heide", a vast heather region south-east of the town. For tourists who like walks, take photographs or just relax it is especially worth their while to make their visit in July and August when the heather is usually in bloom. edit
- Golf Club Munster, Kahlenbissen 50 29633 Munster, . this is a delightful 9 hole course with 18 tees allowing you to play 18 holes. The clubhouse offers light refreshments of the imbiss type and has tables and service outside in good weather. The club is closedon mondays and Tuesdays. Open Wednesday to Sunday from 1130 hours. edit
- Swimming Pool, Osterberg Park, . Adjacent to the Osterberg park is the indoor and outdoor swimming pools for all kinds of swim fans who can spend their tie according to their taste. There is the deep pool for 25m lane swimming, on a 40m tube waterslide with timekeeping, in a big public leisure pool and fun pool as well as in a seperate shallow pool for toddlers www.munster-touristik.de edit
Munster has a full range of shops should any items be required during your visit. There is a market on Saturdays. There is a whole range of cafes and coffee shops so there is no need to be hungry or thirsty.
- Eis Cafe Dal Bo, Wilh.-Bockelmann Strasse 5+27, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192986440. Daily 0900-2200hrs. original Italian Ice Cream, cakes, milkshakes, sandwiches, crepes and breakfasts from €3. From €3. edit
- Cafe-Restaurant Zu Wassermuler, Lunerburger Strasse 7 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192-7028. 0900 - 2300. This famous restaurant is in the heart of the town of Munster. It serves coffe and delicious cake during the day. The menu in the evening is quite varied and reasonably priced. Have your meal served in the pan on your table steaming hot. Middle of the road. edit
- Ella's Restaurant, Wilhelm Bockelmann Str 26 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 7190. daily 1130-1400 and 1700-2359. Cocktails and pizza cooked in a traditional stone oven. On Mondays from 1700-2400 large pizza only €6.00. edit
- Das Cafe, Veestherrnweg 10, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 963965. From 0800 daily. Home cooking in comfortable surroundings and antique furniture. Ideal location to enjoy your German breakfast. Thursday is soup day. edit
- Da Vito Ristorante & Pizzeria, Sohlstr 21, 29633 Munster, ☎ 051923588. Mon - Sun 1130-1400 and 1700-2300hrs. Home made pizzas and other Italian specialities. Delivery service available. edit
- Gasthaus Zum Oertzewinkel, Kreutzen 20, 29633 Munster, ☎ 050558336. Daily 1200-1400 then 1800-2115hrs. Closed Wednesday.. This restaurent has an assortment of menues capable of catering for 120 persons. edit
- Landhaus El Rancho, Nordstr 27, 29633 Munster. Tue-Sat 1730-2200hrs, Sunday 1200-1400 and 1730-2200hrs. Closed on Mondays. Argentinian steakhaus. edit
- Landhotel Heidkrug, Alvern 4, 29633 Munster, ☎ 051922211, . Seasonal offerings including a club room for 10-70 persons. edit
- Hotel Deutsches Haus, Friedrich-Heinrich- Platz 1, 29633 Munster, ☎ 0519298900. Steakhaus from 1700hrs. Breakfasts from 0600-1100hrs and warm food from 1100-2300hrs. A hotel with a 3* restaurent with a full menue to cater for all pallets edit
- Restaurant Zum Oertzetal, Danziger str. 74-76, 29633 Munster, ☎ 051922351. Tues-Sat 1700-2400hrs, Sun from 1130hrs. A 60 seat restaurent with the ability to host parties uto 350 persons. edit
- Frankys, Dr Hermann-Marcks Str 12, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 18333 or 0171 5126313. 1000-2200. Visit this premiere sports bar where you can enjoy the local beer. Like most German bars there is always food available. edit
- Lifestyle Restaurant & Cocktailbar, Wilhelm-Bockelmann Str 5-5, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 986882, . mon-Fri 1130-1400 Thu-Sat 1730-2400. This cocktail bar is located in the centre of the town and offers comfort and live music. It does have a menu and offers a Schnitzelbuffet. edit
- Charly's Pub, Wilhelm-Bockelmann Str 48, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 5385. Sun-Thr 1700-0200, fri-Sat 1700-0400hrs. This pub with 25 types of wiskey on offer is situated in the centre of the town. There is no doubt that you will be served with a range of local biers. edit
- Campingplatz Zum Oertzewinkel, Kreutzen 22, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05055-5549. This campsite offers all the comforts of a typical German site. Onsite shop to buy food, onsite Gastadt, showers, washing machines and other home comforts. Modile homes, caravans and tents all catered for. Bring your dog and enjoy the open countryside. edit
- Residenzia Hotel Grenadier, Rehrhoferweg 121, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192-98380, . This is a Budget 3* hotel with all the basic ammineties. From €39. edit
- Winkelmanns Hotel, Wilhelm-Bockelmann-Straße 2, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 98 00 0, . Situated between Hamburg and Hanover, this traditional hotel lies in a quiet, yet central location in Munster, right in the heart of the Lüneburger Heide (Lüneburg Heath) nature reserve. From €20. edit
- Deutsches Haus Hotel, Friedrich-Heinrich-Platz 1, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 98900, . A local hotel with an excellent restaurent From €80. edit
- Gasthaus Zum Wietzetal, Reiningen 5, 29649 Wietzendorf,. checkin: 14:00 - 22:00 hours; checkout: Until 10:00 hours. This family-run guest house offers free internet, a daily buffet breakfast and free private parking. It is tranquilly located outside the village of Wietzendorf, in the Lüneburg Heath about 5 miles from Munster. edit
- Hotel Kaiserhof, Breloher Str 50, 29633 Munster, ☎ 05192 98550, . checkin: 1500; checkout: 1200. Conveniently located downtown, not far from the main station Münster (Westphalia), from the shopping streets and sights. The hotel even offers a Spa and Wellness facility. Single from €98, Double from €108. edit
For internet cafes you will need to travel to some of the larger towns such as Soltau, however a number of the hotels have Wifi availability if you are a resident.
Mobile phone coverage is good for the main providers, Vodafone and D1 (Deutcher Telekom)and O2.
- Hannover is the capital of Lower Saxony,hosting many cultural events, annual commercial expositions such as the Hanover Fair and the CeBIT. Every year Hanover hosts the Schützenfest Hannover, the world's largest Marksmen's Fun Fair, and the Oktoberfest Hannover, which is the second largest Oktoberfest in the world.
- Hamburg is Germany's second city and largest port. It is around 40 minutes away on the A7/A1 motorways.
- Bremen is home to the world famous Town Musicians, puts itself on the map as the pulsating, multifaceted heart of North West Germany. A popular hive of heritage, science, high technology and space industry keeps up breathtakingly pacy innovations. A commercial and industrial city with a major port on the river Weser.
- Celle is lined with half-timbered houses, most of them built in the 16th century. There are a lot of excellent shops in the pedestrian precinct.
- Walsrode Bird Park Located in Walsrode about ½ hour away, is the largest bird park in the world and suitable for all ages.
- Serengeti Park, not far from Walsrode, is the largest safari park in Europe and a must for families.
- Soltau Therme,Thermal baths that offer swimming both in and outdoor, sauna, general wellness including cosmetics, massages and general therapy as well a restaurent.
- Heide Park,,Heide Park is a theme park in Soltau, Lower Saxony. With an overall area of over 850,000 m², it is one of the largets amusement parks and the biggest in Northern Germany.
- Timmerdorfer Strand,, Timmerdorfer Strand has everything to offer. Sandy beaches, lifestyle, culture, hotels, bars, nightlife and a multitude of events hosted throughout the year.
- Dinosaur Park, ,130 million years ago, huge herds of dinosaurs roamed the countryside around the Steinhuder Sea. The footprints of these huge creatures can be found right here in the park.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!