This district comprising the suburbs of Jogeshwari, Goregaon, Malad, Kandivali, Borivali, and Dahisar lie on the Western line and are usually included in the Western Suburbs. It is home mainly to the middle class providing them with more affordable living. Apart from the usual suburban sprawl, this area has some nice beaches, especially near Malad. Jogeshwari has hot springs which are reputed to have medicinal properties. Borivali is the entry point for the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, which explains why the wildlife reserve is more popularly known as Borivali National Park.
All these suburbs are located on western train route. Western express highway which runs parallel to the train route on its eastern side is the main way to get get to these suburbs. It can take anywhere between 30 minutes to two hours to get here by train from downtown Mumbai. Trains are more dependable with regard to time, but heavily crowded most of the times.
- Manori, tiny island off Marve beach near Malad. This is a small beautiful island with nice beaches, but dangerous for swimming. The beach on the northern side is cleaner. This is a nice place to spend the weekend though. It has a couple of hotels (see under sleep.) To get here from Malad station, you can take an auto for Rs. 50 or a BEST bus and reach Marve, from where you can board a government-operated ferry. Make sure to try the sea-food here. Also be sure to book in advance, as the rooms get filled up, especially over the weekend. Rs. 2.50 per person for the ferry, additional charges for vehicles.. edit
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park (Local Stn. Borivali), Borivali, Mumbai +91 22 2842 1174. Check out this relatively unknown national park, situated in north Mumbai. It's in Borivali and serves as the lungs of Mumbai. It's quite famous for its leopards and the caves inside the park. Open 7:30AM-7:30PM.
Within the park are three fun activities: pedal boating, a toy train ride that runs over a bridge and through a tunnel, and a "safari" bus ride into the park to view tigers and lions. Tickets for each activity are sold on site.
- Kanheri Caves (Local Stn. Borivali) — Borivali, Mumbai is a nice place to visit for history enthusiasts. This is a complex of Buddhist temples cut out of the rock. 9AM-5:00PM. Entry Fee is 5 Rs. per person. (100 Rs. per foreigner)
- Aarey milk colony is another green pocket of Mumbai. You can take a tour of the milk production plant and have a picnic outside.
It is a growing area of shopping malls. There are the Infiniti and InOrbit malls in Malad. Other than that places to shop are concentrated near railway stations.
Also Raghuleela Mall and Oberoi Mall are the Best Attractions in the Western Suburbs.
- Rajdhani, InOrbit mall, Malad. Great Gujarati Thali.
- Silver Coin, IC colony, Borivli. Good variety of Moghlai, Punjabi food along with a few continental dishes. Average meal per person around Rs. 350.
- Banjara Dhaba, Borivli West, Rushi Complex, close to IC Colony. Good variety of Punjabi and Chinese food. Reasonably priced and decent Dhaba style ambiance. Drinks served.
- Salute, Borivli West, Kastur Park. Good variety of Punjabi food. Moderately priced.
- Urban Tadka, Kandivali, Off West Express Highway. Good variety of Punjabi. Moderately priced. Drinks served.
Machaan in Malad west, Above Croma, on link road is a good family restaurant &s erves some excellent veg & non veg Indian food. Drinks are also served. Good Ambience. Kids love the place due to the Jungle theme inside the restaurant. Priced resonabaly.
- Khaugalli Asha Palace, Chincholi Bundar,Malad (w) (Link Road), ☎ +91 22 28721123, . Authentic street foods, Burgers, Sandwiches, Wraps. edit
- california pizza kitchen. edit
This is not a great place to drink. It has a very small number of good pubs. Drinks are served in a few good restaurants. A large number of men drink in smaller and cheaper bars, but women are not generally seen in such places.
- The Resort Hotel, 11, Madh-Marve Road, Aksa Beach, Malad (West), Mumbai - 400 095, ☎ +91-22-2880 8888, +91-22-2844 5538, +91-22-2844 5260, +91-22-2844 5318 ([email protected], fax: +91-22-2880 4444, +91-22-2881 8641), . checkin: 10AM; checkout: 10AM. Five star hotel, located close to Aksa beach. Rs. 5,800-16,000. Includes complimentary breakfast, excludes taxes.. edit
- The Retreat, Erangal Beach, Madh-Marve Road, Malad (W), Mumbai 400 061, ☎ +91-22-2881-3500 ([email protected], fax: +91-22-2881-1919), . A five star beach facing hotel. Rs. 4,500-15,000. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!