The seaside village of Morgan's Bay is located on the Eastern Cape Wild Coast of South Africa and is about 85 km east of East London. Morgan's Bay lies between the famous Morgan's Bay cliffs and a mile-long stretch of unspoilt beach, bordered by the Cape Morgan Nature Reserve.
In the early part of the century, Morgan's Bay was a popular holiday destination for farmers from throughout South Africa's Eastern Cape region. Every year, after the harvest, they packed their families and possessions into wagons for a camping holiday by the sea. These days Morgan's Bay is still a popular camping destination, with families from up country making the yearly trek down to the sea to enjoy the delights of the Wild Coast.
Situated 10 minutes away from the Kei River and the adventures of the Wild Coast, yet only 45 minutes from the modern amenities of East London, Morgan's Bay offers you the best of both worlds.
Directions from East London:
Drive North-East along the N2 highway from East London, take the Kei Mouth / Morgan Bay turnoff at Mooiplaas and follow the R349 for R35.5km. Turn right at Morgan Bay turnoff and follow the road for 7km's until you reach Morgan Bay.
Directions from Durban:
Drive South from Durban along the N2 highway, 31km past the Kei River Bridge turn left at the Kei Mouth / Morgan Bay turnoff at Mooiplaas and follow the R349 for R35.5km. Turn right at Morgan Bay turnoff and follow the road for 7km's until you reach Morgan Bay
The are no buses or taxis in Morgan's Bay.
If you're a keen hiker it's worth a ramble over the Morgan's Bay Cliffs. These impressive slabs of dolerite, which drop some 50 meters into the pounding surf, are ideal vantage points for watching the sunset. If you're lucky, you may even see the dolphins frolicking in the waves, which crash against the rocks below.
Holidaymakers on the Morgan Bay beach
Keightley's Krantz, Morgan Bay
Morgan's Bay is an ideal destination for adventurous family holidays with an excellent swimming beach, patrolled by lifeguards during the festive season, and lagoon in pristine natural surroundings. It's the perfect place to get in some well earned relaxation and breathe in the fresh sea air. During the day you can gaze at passing ships on the horizon or lie on the beach with a book. At night you can lie relaxed in comfortable accommodation while being hypnotised by the dull roar of the sea, glorious stars and the intermittent beam of the Cape Morgan Lighthouse across the bay.
- Activities, . Activities on offer in the area include surfing, golf, deep-sea fishing, dolphin and whale watching, fly fishing, mountain biking, hiking and nature trails, rock climbing, abseiling, surfing, canoeing, micro lighting, horse riding, game viewing and bird watching. edit
- Wild Coast Horse Trails, 18 Coral Street, Kei Mouth, ☎ +27 (0)82 567-0972, . Wild Coast Horseback Adventures. The most glorious horseback beach riding holiday in the world! A unique horse trail that offers a full holiday experience while giving you the chance to sample the undeveloped beauty of the South African Wild Coast. The beach riding along the Transkei is exhilarating and exciting. One sweeping bay after another, rolling hillsides, river crossings and warm lagoons ensure adventure filled days of fabulous horse riding. Torstone Sport Horses ~ competitive endurance horses and high quality pleasure riding horses. **6 nights 7 days Wild Coast Horse Trail. **8 nights 10 day Surf & Turf Safari. **1 to 10 day’s custom made Castaway Trails. **Day rides and beach trails in Morgan Bay & Kei Mouth **1 to 12 weeks Gap Year & Career break Working Horse Riding Holidays. (32.41`46``,28.21`43``) edit
- Yellowwood Forest Gift Shop, Link Road, Morgan's Bay, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1598 ([email protected]), . Local & imported arts, crafts, clothing, gifts, throws, hammocks, furniture, antiques etc. edit
- Xhosa Crafts. Xhosa women sell beads and other crafts under the trees near the lagoon. edit
- Craft Markets, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1598. Local Farmers & Craft Markets are held once a month and regularly during holiday periods. They are advertised on the notice board at the Top Shop. edit
- The Sandhoppa, 41 Beach Road (Morgan Bay Hotel), ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1062. Forgotten your slip slops, sun hat or sun block in the rush to get here? Not to worry, the Sandhoppa is conveniently situated right next door to the hotel. We offer a fantastic range of popular brands including Roxy, Haviannas, Quicksilver and Billabong. edit
- The Deck Restaurant & Bar @ Morgan Bay Hotel, 41 Beach Road (Morgan Bay Hotel), ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1062, . The fabulous Deck Restaurant & Bar is the perfect place to enjoy a drink or something to eat while sitting back and enjoying the magnificent view of Morgan Bay. edit
- Seaspray Restaurant, The Mitford Lodge, Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1510, . Superbly situated on the seafront to provide dining guests with uninterrupted views of the waves and krantzes. Dining at the Mitford Lodge includes sumptuous meals that range from Table de hote to an a la carte menu with meals that include seafood platters, deliciously prepared ribs, steak and Italian cuisine. edit
- Yellowwood Forest Pizza Garden & Coffee Shop, Link Road, Morgan's Bay, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1598 ([email protected]), . Sit under the Yellowwood Trees and enjoy delicious pizzas from their wood-fired oven. edit
- The Deck Restaurant & Bar @ Morgan Bay Hotel, 41 Beach Road (Morgan Bay Hotel), ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1062, . The fabulous Deck Restaurant & Bar is the perfect place to enjoy a drink or something to eat while sitting back and enjoying the magnificent view of Morgan Bay. The fully licensed bar serves a range of local beers and ciders, wines, spirits or get one of our friendly barman to make you a delicious cocktail. edit
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R500
|| R500 to R1000
|| Over R1000
- DoubleView (Bed & Breakfast), 127 Yellowwood Place, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1142, . Newly built, spacious modern home with two large, luxurious bedrooms each with en-suite bathroom. One bedroom has a view of the lagoon and sea, the other the indigenous forest. From R300 pp sharing. edit
- The Lower Deck (Self Catering), 470 Chestnut Place, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1099, . Situated in a quiet cul de sac, approximately 200m from the waters edge, The Lower Deck sits a top a hill and is blessed with beautiful sea views. From R400 per night. edit
- Yellowwood Forest (Caravan and Camping), Link Road, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1598 ([email protected]), . Family friendly Caravan Park & Campsite situated in woodland just above the Morgan's Bay Lagoon. We have plenty of shade and are sheltered from the wind. From R85/site plus R10pp. edit
- 180 Degrees (Self Catering), 53 Private Road, Morgan Bay (off of Cherrywood Road, just behind the Mitford Lodge), ☎ +27 (0)82 497-1089, . 180 degrees is a large double story wooden house, located high above the beachfront and boasting a spectacular 180 degrees sea view, the best in Morgan Bay. edit
- Georgett (Self Catering), George Brown Drive, ☎ +27 (0)83 234-2908, . Georgett offers self-catering accommodation, from an ideal location up on the hill, with un-obstructed views of the beach and ocean. Sleeps 10 & 8. Rates on enquiry. edit
- The Mitford Lodge, Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1510 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)86 691-7171), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Self catering (2 sleeper to 6 sleeper) apartments and bed & breakfast. Accommodation is only 35 steps away from the sea. Great food and an amazing view. From R690/unit. edit
- Ocean Valley View (Self Catering), 472 Chestnut Place, ([email protected]), . Comfortable self catering accommodation in modern fully furnished house that sleeps 8 persons. Beautiful views of the sea, valley, bush and cliffs and within very easy walking distance of the sea. From R700 per night. edit
- On The Rocks (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1092, . On the Rocks is a seafront house, situated less than 50m from the sea and is a 5-minute walk past bully fishing pools to the swimming beach and lagoon. It is the perfect house for a fuss free family holiday and has 3 double-bed sea facing rooms and 2 big, bright back rooms sleeping 3 and 2. From R700 per night. edit
- Oystercatcher (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1538, . Situated a mere stone's throw from the sea on the Morgan Bay beachfront, Oystercatcher Self Catering offers uninterrupted panoramic views of the bay and comfortable accommodation for up to 7 people. The open-plan kitchen, dining room and lounge leads out onto a wooden deck where you can relax and take in the scenery. To the side of the house is a sheltered patio and braai area that is ideal for socializing with friends and family. From R800 per night. edit
- Sea View Cottage (Self Catering), 55 Cherrywood Road, ☎ +27 (0)83 327-2895, . Situated on the hillside and only a shell-throw from the warm Indian Ocean, Sea View Cottage offers stunning sea views and magnificent sunsets. This idyllic retreat provides comfortable self-catering accommodation for up to 12 people, with a daily maid service included. From R800. edit
- Spinnaway (Self Catering), 20 Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)82 493-2929, . Double-storey, seafront house, consisting of two self-catering apartments, with a shared double garage. Each sleeps 5 people in two bedrooms & has an open-plan kitchen & lounge that lead out onto a deck with braai place. From R1000. edit
- Turn Inn (Bed and Breakfast), 268 Sundew Place, ([email protected]), . 2 Luxury units each with private entrance and patio on ground floor / secure off-road parking / magnificent lagoon views and access. R350 per person sharing. edit
- The Beach House (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1092 ([email protected]), . Situated in a prime location, only metres from the mile-long beach and safe swimming lagoon, The Beach House in Morgan Bay is ideal for relaxing holidays with family and friends, providing self-catering accommodation for up to 12 people with a daily maid service included. From R1500 per night. edit
- Brandon (Self Catering), Plankton, Inchara Drive, ([email protected]), . comfortable family home overlooking the lagoon 110 paces from the Morgan Bay beach and swimming lagoon. From R1200 per night. edit
- Keromescory (Self Catering), Plankton, Inchara Drive, ☎ +27 (0)83 658-2562, . Kermescory is a large, modern, timber-frame home in Morgan Bay, providing luxurious self catering accommodation for up to 10 people in an ideal location, only 2-minutes walk from the beach and lagoon, boasting views of both the river and sea. There are 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms in all, 4 of the bedrooms are en-suite. R2500 per night. edit
- Milla Villa (Self Catering), Plankton, Inchara Drive, ☎ +27 (0)82 442-3168, . Milla Villa is a well-appointed family beach cottage in the Plankton Development 100 metres from the Morgan Bay Beach and with uninterrupted views of the lagoon. The cottage, which sleeps 9 people, runs down to the jetty on the lagoon and is surrounded by grassy lawns. Rates on Enquiry. edit
- Morgan Bay Hotel (Hotel, dinner bed and breakfast), 41 Beach Road (38km East of East London on the N2, turn right on the R349 for a further 35Km), ☎ +27 (0)43 841-1062 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 10.00. Family accommodation establishment. Their mission is to be the best family run Hotel on the Wild Coast. Their aim is to make your holiday a memorable one, so that you will speak of Morgan Bay with fond memories and always return for more. Run by the Warren-Smith family since 1946. Come and join the Morgs family as it is commonly known. From R745.00pps. (32° 42′ 31.91,28° 20′ 29.97) edit
- Sole Mare (Self Catering), Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)83 600-2212, . Recently completely renovated and refurnished house with 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms (2 en-suite). "Sole Mare" is situated on the front row, approximately 60 meters from the beautiful Morgan Bay beach and lagoon. The house will sleep 10 in comfort. Rates on Enquiry. edit
Beyond the Morgan's Bay cliffs lies the beautiful Double Mouth Nature Reserve. Here two rivers meet in a pristine estuary, which carves a single course through forested dunes to the sea. Fish Eagles, Crowned Eagles, Red-Billed Woodhoopoes and several species of Kingfishers patrol the placid waters and it's forest fringes. Just beyond is Bead beach; site of a 16th Century Portuguese shipwreck, it's the perfect place to do a little treasure hunting for Ming porcelain and Carnelian beads.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!