Monteria is a city in Córdoba, Colombia.
Montería is a city in the Cordoba department in Colombia. Even though it is not a coast city, Monterians call themselves 'costeños', and are said to speak 'costeñol' (from the words español + costeño). They see themselves as cheerful, relaxed and informal, and are very proud of it. Most of the times, the letters s and r in the middle and ending of words are not pronounced. For example, escolar (scholar) would be pronounced e-colá.
The city is served by Los Garzones Airport (IATA: MTR), about 30 minutes from downtown in a taxi in good traffic.
It receives several flights daily on Avianca and LATAM from Bogotá, Medellín, Cartagena, Barranquilla and Panama City.
Currently, buses run in and out of Monteria's main station, El Terminal de Transporte de Montería. The station is clean and has standard amenities. Located at Calle 41, No 15-20, multiple bus companies have regular routes to destinations around the country.
Montería's vehicle of choice is motorcycles. Mototaxis are, as their name suggests, motorcycle taxis. They are the cheapest and fastest way to get around, a carrera costing around $2000.00 COP. On Tuesdays, motorcycles are banned from the city, which results in less traffic but slower buses.
Buses are called busetas. The safest ones are yellow, from the company MetroBus. It costs $1400.00 COP for a ride, but with an ElTike card, a ride is $1700.00 COP. ElTike cards can be purchased at the MetroBus terminal for $5000.00 COP and the minimum recharge is for $14,000.00COP.
All the taxis in Montería are regulated, so they are very safe. They can be stopped on the street or be called to pick one up. During the day, a carrera is $5000.00 COP. Foreigners should negotiate the price before getting in the taxi or risk being charged more. By night, it can be more than twice the cost than a regular ride; the destination also affects the cost. Be sure to negotiate with the driver before getting in.
Montería is divided by the River Sinú. It can be crossed by either bridges, or by planchón. Planchón is a sort of flat boat which crosses the River at only $300.00 COP. Any of the planchones that are on the Ronda del Sinú are perfectly safe, but it is advised not to go to the ones by the market after dark.
Ronda del Sinú
Along the East Bank of the River Sinú, the Ronda del Sinú is a recreational park with restaurants, a cycle road, an open-air theatre, etc. Monkeys and iguanas run freely in the park, and it is the largest lineal park in Latin America.
It located in front of the Nuestro Mall, this monument represents the launcher activities that usually Monteria helds.
Zenú Museum of Contemporary Art, First Avenue #26-3, ☎ 792 0707. The museum showcases contemporary artists. edit
The most important media for Montería are:
- El Meridiano de Córdoba  is the city's largest daily with a heavy focus on the department.
Tours, performances and festivals
- Check out the International Launcher Festival, the biggest launcher fair in the Latin America (occurs every year in June) it hosts the international Laucher beauty Pageant among other activities.
- Catch a baseball game at June 18 Stadium. Easily accessible by Taxi and with a capacity of 11,000 spectators, it hosts games for the Colombian international squad as well as for professional league home teams Jaguars.
- The best beach with great water for swimming is Coveñas, it’s two hours away by car from Montería, You can purchase a ticket for an organized tourist day trip or an overnight trip from hotels and hostels, also in Los Garzones Airport.
Local products worth bringing home include:
A Sombrero Vueltiao
Tipical of Montería
- Coconut Candies.
- Coffee-based products
- Leather handbags, shoes, and wallets.
- Uncut and cut emeralds brought in from the world's best emerald mines. Both formal and informal markets with beautiful displays of emeralds.
- Craftsmanship from the sea.
- A Sombrero Vueltiao (flipped hat)
- Nuestro, Transversal 29 Calle 29 69. One of the newest malls in Montería and second-largest in The City, It has a wide variety of shops, and a food court with many local and choices. A very fun and modern place. edit
- Mokanela, Great cafe on 1st avenue by Ronda parque
- Beer Station, located inside Alamedas mall, with a wide variety of coctails and drinks.
- Bogotá Beer Company La Bodega, located in Castellana Neighborhood it’s an important bar, with many options of beers
- Tropical, located inside Home Center and Alamedas Mall, Tropical it’s a Juice Bar with great snacks
- Cosechas, located inside Buenavista Mall, Alamedas Mall and Castellana Neighborhood, it’s a juice bar with many combinations.
- Mote de Queso: typical dish from Montería and sister city Sincelejo, made with ñame (yam) and Costeño cheese.
Montería has Plenty of options. These are only a few and are divided by areas. However, it is very difficult to find a decent Chinese/Japanese restaurant. Do not expect much even if you find any, since most of them are "fake" oriental restaurants.
Other noteworthy Colombian restaurant chains include Hamburguesas El Corral, Pollo Frisby, and Jeno's Pizza.
- El Bocachico Elegante, Carrera 7 No. 32-67, ☎ +57 4 791-9278. Budget seafood restaurant with variety of fishes. edit
- Osaka, Calle 62 No. 61A-6. Elegant Peruvian Fusion restaurant. edit
- McDonald’s, Calle 64 No. 6-29. '''24/7'''. American fast food chain. edit
- El Correo y Amada, Calle 62b no.72a-7, ☎ +57 4 444-5387. Steackhouse, try the "Lomito al Trapo". edit
- Terra Lontana, (Inside Alamedas Mall), ☎ +57 4 785-2514. Italian Restaurant, try the filleto Balsámico it’s excellent. edit
- Tocinita, In a shopping boulivard off Carrera 2 (Look for the play park and Nintendo Worl). Small cafe with cheerful chatty owner does good, cheap set breakfasts and lunches for $6000 COP with the excellent "huevos pericos". Will do vegetarian version if you ask (08.45'372N,75.53'34W) edit
Officially, it is not legal to work in Colombia without a proper working visa. Visas can be obtained by employers on your behalf.
There is also a significant market for English and other language teachers. English translation or editing jobs are possible to find under the table.
- Hotel medellin, carrera 3, 34-76, centro, ☎ 782 6135. nicer on the inside than it looks from the outside, clean rooms with t.v, private bath and wifi. $40000 cop. edit
- Hotel Alcazar, Carretara 2 No. 32-17 (at Calle 32) (Centro), . 2 blocks from River walk park. Clean modern room. With Fan 35,000, with A/C 52,000. edit
- GHL Hotel, Cll 44 no.8-43, ☎ 7892999. GHL Hotel is located inside Alamedas Mall, has a full-service spa, an outdoor pool, and a health club. Complimentary wireless and wired high-speed Internet access is available in public areas and a computer station is located on site, Featuring MISO Restaurant. edit
- Florida Sinu Hotel, Cll 41 no.15d-26, ☎ 7819393. Florida Sinu it’s one of the most Splurge Traditional Hotel in the city it offers breezy rooms witg balconies and an outdoor pool edit
Internet cafes are spread around town and most easily found in high tourist spots such as Principal Plazas. For most travelers, stopping by a local coffee shop such as Juan Valdez or Trinidad del Café should suffice.
There are so many great places to see within a couple of hours of Montería, and for people that have spent a lot of time in the city, getting out is a necessity.
North of Montería
- visit Cereté, Lorica or even better Sincelejo You can find cheap and fast transportation to any of these destinations either from the Terminal de transportes.
- D' la casa Restaurant: The most expensive and elegant restaurant of the department, located in a small town at the north of Montería called Cereté.
- Coveñas and Tolú Beaches: to the north of Montería two hours away you'll find excellent resort beaches and towns such as Coveñas and Tolú, where you can find resort hotels and apartments with sea views.
East of Montería
- Jaraguay Stadium: The principal Soccer Stadium of the city.
- Planeta Rica: to the east of the city it is locates the municipality of Planeta Rica, a cozy small town when you'll found launcher activities and great Aquatic Parks.
West of Montería
- Arboletes Beaches: at the west of Montería in about one hour away, you can find amazing budget beaches such as Arboletes and Los Córdobas, do not go there if you like to travel comfortable.
South of Montería
It is not recommendable to go to the south of Montería because it is considered in Red Zone wich means that territory it is taken by Guerrilla teams due Armed Conflict, try something different.