Montepulciano is a city in Tuscany famous for its wines, especially the classic red wine Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.
Montepulciano is a few miles from the A1 Autostrada as well as the more scenic SS2 from Rome to Florence. Cars are not allowed inside the historical old town (except with a permit, available from hotels) so park in one of the numerous lots at the edge of the town. Be warned that the lots fill up quickly in late summer, the height of the tourist season.
Buses, departing from Piazza Pietro Nenni, connect Montepulciano with many other Tuscan cities: Siena (75 minutes, 4/day none on Sunday), Pienza (30 minutes, 8/day), Montalcino (1 hour 10/day, change in Torrenien) and Chiusi (hourly). Route #146 into Montepulciano is quite scenic. See Tuscany#Get_around for tips.
If you are walking into town from the bus station (autostazione in Italian), there is a pedestrian short-cut with both an elevator and stairs to the top of the cliff. The entrance is through a portal on Via delle Lettere at the corner of Piazzale dello Sterro, about 50 m from the bus station.
The nearest railhead is a half hour away at Chiusi from where there are frequent trains to Florence and Rome.
Take a leisurely stroll through the cobbled city streets. There is also electric bus service that transports you to various points throughout the city.
- Piazza Grande Pleasant piazza surrounded by great architecture, like the medieval Palazzo Comunale, Contucci Palace, & Palazzo de' Nobili-Tarugi
- The clock tower of the Palazzo Comunale can be climbed for a great town view (€2 open daily 10:00-6:00)
- Wine tasting can be done in the Cantinas along Via Ricci & Via di Gracciano nel Corso, but the most fun one is in the basement of the Contucci Palace, on Piazza Grande. Free tasting, no food, open daily 8:30-12:30 & 2:30-6:30. Groups welcome with a reservation. Telephone: 0578-757-006
- Civic Museum This small museum's highlight is the della Robbia ceramic alterpieces & Etruscan artifacts (€4.10, open Tuesday to Sunday 10:00-1:00 * 3:00-6:00, Sunday 10:00-6:00, closed Monday, on Via Ricci. Telephone: 0578-717-300
- San Biagio Church A wonderful Renaissance church with soaring nave & dome, with a challenging walk from the church to the town center. Open daily 9:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00
- The house and property of La Foce  is a short drive away. The XVth century villa was built as an inn for pilgrims and merchants traveling on the ancient road to Rome, via francigena. Restored as a private home by Iris and Antonio Origo, the house and the gardens make for a pleasant two hour visit from Montepulciano. The villa and property (as also are Montepulciano and Chiusi) are the centerpiece of the very readable book War in the Val D'Orcia by Iris Origo. Summertime music concerts are also featured. All tours are guided, so call ahead.
- Market Day is every Thursday. The market is located behind the bus station.
- The Tourist Information office is on Piazza don Minzoni, open Monday to Saturday 9:30-12:30 & 3:00-6:00, Sunday 9:30-12:30. Telephone 0578-757-341
In tha heart of center, near Cafè Poliziano, you can find the best leather production for purses, belts , wallets and so on. T-Nobile, the oldest leather store in Montepulciano, is on Via di Voltaia nel Corso, 35/37.
- L'Altro Cantuccio Honoring typical Tuscan cuisine with a fresh and modern twist. Located in the historic center of Montepulciano . Open everyday 12:00-3:00 & 6:30-10:00, closed Thursdays. Telephone: 0578 758364
- Pane Vino & Zucchero Wonderful neighborhood restaurant that produces amazing dishes typical of the area. Open daily 7:30-10:30, closed Tuesdays. Telephone: 0578 757922
- Ai Quattro Venti Fresh, flavorful, & fun, on Piazza Grande with indoor & outdoor seating, €7 pastas. Open Friday to Wednesday 12:30-2:00 & 7:30-10:30, closed thursday. Next to city hall on Piazza Grande. Telephone: 0578-717-231
- Osteria dell'Aquacheta €5 pastas & salads, open Wednesday to Monday 12:30-3:00 & 7:30-10:30, closed tuesday, on Via del Teatro. Telephone: 0578-717-086
Montepulciano is the center of an ancient wine growing region, so go ahead and sample some. Three varieties of wine are available (all are mostly from the sangiovese grape), Rosso di Montepulciano, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Reserva, in increasing order of subtlety and price. The wines tend to be full-bodied, the kind that goes well with a picture of generations of Tuscan peasants, sitting in the fields, eating cinghiale (boar) while drinking the good stuff!
- Fonte Martino Guest House & Estate, Via di Valardegna 8, 53045 Montepulciano, ☎ +39 3291567491, . Fonte Martino Guest House & Estate, dating back over two centuries, has been lovingly transformed into an exclusive Guest House offering modern elegance and world-class hospitality. Set in the rolling hills of Tuscany, you will experience the most panoramic views of historic Montepulciano and the Valdichiana. Situated in an ideal location, you can either take a picturesque 5-minute drive to the historic city center or a leisurely stroll through scenic olive groves and vineyards. Whether you choose The Montepulciano Suite, The Siena Suite, or The Cortona Suite, each has been meticulously designed with your comfort in mind. Each unique suite is designed with modern, elegant, and rustic elements. These elements are then blended into the rooms of the three towns in which they are named – Montepulciano, Siena, and Cortona. edit
- Mueble il Riccio, ☎ +39 0578-757-713 ([email protected]), . 6 medieval elegant rooms, an awesome rooftop terrace, & friendly owners. Single w/bathroom €75, double w/bathroom €85, triple w/bathroom €101. Breakfast €8, air-conditioning, a block below main square at Via Talosa. Gio & Ivana speak English, Gio or his son give country tours in one of their classic cars for €25/hour. edit
- Camere, Via Ricci 25, ☎ +39 347-823-2314, . Has 10 rooms, some with better views than others. Room 6 has a terrace worth reserving. Double w/bathroom €55, nicer double w/bathroom €65, breakfast €2.50, cash only, no elevator, little English spoken. edit
- Via della Stella, Via della Stella 37, 53045 Valiano di Montepulciano (Siena), ☎ +39 3927980419 ([email protected]), . 15 km from Montepulciano and Cortona. Complex comprises 2 independent buildings equipped with own outdoor areas and finished and furnished with Tuscan pieces, with wrought-iron beds. 9x18 m pool, whirlpool (extra), ping-pong, playground for children, bowl-court and barbecue. Parking by the farmhouse. edit
- Borgo Tre Rose (Borgo Tre Rose), Via dei Palazzi, 5, ☎ +39 0578 724231. 3 star hotel with swimming pool, located in the Tuscan hills not far from Montepulciano historical center. Room rates from €110 up to €180. edit
- Agriturismo B&B Casa di Bacco, Via della Fornace Valiano 16, ☎ +393388054069, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 10AM. Farmhome hotel with seven rooms (four shower and three jacuzzi) and one apartment (fireplace and jacuzzi). Each room has comforts as lcd tv, satellite decoder, minibar, air conditioning. Private parking, barbecue and gazebo available. Swimming pool will be open at night hour also. Offered service is bed and breakfast (continental buffet). €100-150. edit
- Politian Apartments (Politian Apartments), Via Poliziano 34, . checkin: any day; checkout: any day. Self catering apartments with one and two bedrooms located in the most central and historic part of Montepulciano. Walking distance to all town's amenities. Easy access by car. Parking available nearby. Private garden. Housekeeping on request. 100 euro. edit