Mongar town is administrative head of Mongar district in Eastern Bhutan. Perched on a hill, the old bazaar area has been expanded extensively in recent years, making the town one of the region's largest settlements.
- Buses from Thimphu - a two day journey with a night stoppover in Jakar
The small town can easily be covered on foot
- Mongar Tshechu (religious festival) 25-27 Nov 2010
- Locally produced lemon grass essential oil can be purchased from shops in the bazaar.
- Woven cloth in the distinct Mongar style is available at the gift shop in Druk Zhongar Hotel.
- Good quality meals at Druk Zhongar Hotel (see - 'sleep' section)
- Hotel Drukyul. An upgraded traditional facility located near the center of town.
- Druk Zhongar Hotel, Tel:975 4 641-121, 641587, (email: mailto:[email protected]). At 1,000Nu per night for a double and 750Nu a night for a single, the hotel offers internet facilities and a steam bath and sauna.
- Hotel Wangchuk. A 27-room hotel with a nightly room rate at Nu.2,000 to Nu.3,500. Restaurant serves Chinese and Indian cuisine. Sauna and fitness room are among the facilities.
The area code for Mongar is 04. From overseas, dial +975-4-XXXXXX