Monastir is a city in Tunisia.
Monastir is an ancient city dating from Phonecian times. It includes an impressive Ribat and the Mausoleum of Bourguiba, both of which are now open after some renovation since 2013.
The city is served by an international airport : Monastir Habib Bourguiba Airport
Regular flights go to Monastir airport from various European locations.
There are regular train services to Tunis and Sousse to the north and Mahdia to the south. The railway station is located in the city centre and just a short walk to the Ribat.
There are regular bus services to Sousse. The Bus station is located near the Medina.
- Ribat. This fortress is located next to the sea and provides a great visit with most of the ruins open to clamber over. It may be familiar as it has been used in several films as a stand in for Jerusalem, most notably "Monty Python's Life of Brian".
- Mausoleum of Bourguiba. In the centre of the large cemetery immediately adjacent to the Ribat is the enormous mausoleum of the much-loved former 'President for Life', Habib Bourguiba.
- Bourguiba Mosque. Built in 1963, his faithful architecture to inherited traditions, beautiful decorations of extreme delicacy in the background a very fine specimen of architecture and traditional art.
the huge prayer hall that can hold 1,000 people, built in arch rests on 86 columns in pink marble. The mihrab is covered with a half arch encrusted golden mosaics and adorned with onyx columns. Nineteen carved teak doors, work of Kairouan artisans, provide access to the building.
- The Great Mosque. Just next to the Ribat, it dates from the eleventh century. Some of its columns resting on ancient capitals. It was extended by the Zirides in the eleventh century.
- Dar Essaka. It was the residence of Hassan Essaka "CAID",Ottoman Governor of Monastir (1920 - 1933),built in 1932.
This is a beautiful sample of oriental style.
- Scuba-diving/Fishing. About twenty miles off Monastir, there are the Kuriate islands. The largest of these islands is inhabited by a few fishermen. The funds around the islands are ideal for fishing underwater.
- Golf. the city offers, beside its rich sites and monuments, two magnificent golf courses.
- Kart Racing. there's a small park with built-in racing circuit for karts called the "Karting".
Only a small section of the original Medina remains but it contains a bazaar selling the usual souvenirs. Prices seemed to be generally lower than in nearby Sousse.
There are many good restaurants in the medina or more upmarket in the port de plaisance (marina), below the Ribat.
The hotels are spread over along the shore of Skanes and Dkhila. They are luxurious.
The area has forty five hotels with a total accommodation capacity of 20,000 beds.
Most foreigners appear to stay at the resort area north of town, close to the airport.
- Houda Golf & Beach Club, BP. 35 Aéroport Monastir Dkhila, 5000, Maatmeur, Tunisia, ☎ +216 72 262 699, . Situated between Sousse and Monastir, in front of the Palm Links golf course. The 3-star Houda Golf & Beach Club has direct access to a private beach. The hotel's well-equipped rooms are all air-conditioned with a garden or sea views. The Houda has 3 swimming pools with padded deck chairs and a mini Jacuzzi. edit
- Tropicana Club Hôtel, BP 88 Zone Touristique Dkhila Sahline, Monastir, Tunisia, ☎ +216 73 524 019, . Offering an outdoor pool, year-round outdoor pool and barbecue, Tropicana club Hôtel is set in Sahline in the Monastir Region, 11 km from Sousse. The hotel has a children's playground and sun terrace, and guests can enjoy a meal at the restaurant. edit
- Bravo Monastir, Zone Touristique, Skanes, 5000, Monastir, Tunisia, . Offering an outdoor pool and a restaurant, Bravo Monastir is located in Monastir. An array of activities can be enjoyed on site or in the surroundings, including golfing. Free WiFi access is available. edit
- Neptunia Beach, ☎ + 216 73 521 820, . Neptunia Beach is located in Monastir. Free Wi-Fi access is available. At Neptunia Beach you will find a private beach area and a tennis court. Rooms here will provide you with a flat-screen TV, air conditioning and a balcony. Featuring a bath or shower, private bathrooms also come with a hairdryer and towels. edit