Moganshan  is a mountain top tourist region near Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China. It is a good weekend retreat from Shanghai, as it is only a 2.5 hour drive west. It is busiest in July and August, when the weather in the cities and valleys below is much hotter. It is also very nice in the shoulder periods when the cooler weather makes for more pleasant hiking. This contributor has also visited after heavy snowfall in February. The mountain sells half price tickets in the winter, since it is less popular to visit. You can either drive or hike to the summit along the foot paths through the bamboo. In winter it can be lonely and beautiful, well worth the effort.
The most convenient way is by private car, about a 2.5 hour drive from Shanghai. Or, there is a direct 4 hour bus from Shanghai which leaves 3 times in the morning from the Old North Bus Station. Or, you can take the high speed train to Hangzhou, and take taxi or bus from there.
The tourist area on top of the mountain is relatively small; there are numerous meandering footpaths that pass by bamboo forests, tea fields, and old stone houses.
There are actually numerous trails on Moganshan. Be prepared to be challenged, though, because they go up for a long time, and then back down. The trails are well kept with stairs where necessary, but are not for the faint of heart. The Temple Hike, for example is about three miles and takes about five hours because one goes from the top of the mountain, down to the valley and back up again.
The trails and sites are abundant and beautiful.
There is a nice park with walking trails at the very top of the mountain. Half way up is the center of the quaint village, made mainly of stone houses, many of which were built in the early 1900s. Below the village is a series of pools and waterfalls that go down a steep canyon. You will need your Moganshan entry ticket to go all the way in.
Enjoy the fresh air and beautiful views. Read a book, go for a hike, sit in a hammock, or try some delicious local beer and cuisine.
Visitors must pay ¥80 to enter the scenic area. Do not lose this ticket, or you may have to buy it again!
- Moganshan Lodge  in town has helpful service, a nice patio, and can give you advice on things to do and where to stay.
Moganshan beer is quite good, and comes in an attractive bottle.
The villages boast many small and inexpensive guest houses that offer nice rooms with en suite and full board if required. The non-Chinese speaker will find communication difficult, but be brave, use the "phone a friend" system and it will be OK. The multi-story homes with large signs are usually guest houses.
- Le Passage Mohkan Shan , Luxury French Country House Hotel, nostalgic historical property offering luxurious large and comfortable bedrooms (70~120sqm) with an amazing view of private organic tea plantation, heated outdoor pool, delicious French country food and wines for the sophisticated travelers. Deluxe Room 3,200rmb-4,800 night, Garden Room 4,200rmb-5,800rmb night, Mezzanine Room 5,200rmb-6,800rmb night. Tel. +86-186-5728-5900
- Miss Xu's hotel located in a beautiful old stone mansion is right near town, but with plenty of privacy. 13645725033
- Naked Stables, 3/F, 297 Wuyuan Lu, Shanghai, PRC 200031, ☎ (0)21 64318902, . Luxury resort surrounded by a large reservoir, bamboo forests, tea plantations, and small farming villages. Featuring 121 beautifully appointed rooms in 30 free-standing Tree Top Villas and 40 Earth Huts – all constructed using industry-leading green materials. It offers horseback riding, fully equipped horse stables with housing for 18 horses, plus a riding paddock and mountain riding trails. Three outdoor swimming pools, including one heated pool for the winter months, mountain biking, hiking paths and a farm with barn animals offer a broad range of opportunities to enjoy the natural environment, wildlife and fresh mountain air. edit
- Prodigy Outdoor base, Houwu village, ☎ +86 189 6926 0036, . Prodigy outdoor base is so-named because it considers itself less a hotel in the forest and more a base from which to explore, get involved in outdoor sports or just enjoy nature and then relax with friends and family, enjoying fresh food from the kitchen cooked by local farmers and drinks from the bar. Consider this a hostel and the beware the shared bathrooms are not for everyone. Bikes are available to hire and the base can organise activities tailored to your group. ¥130+/head. edit
- Moganshan House 23  is run by the same family that operates the Lodge and is a lovely choice. The restored house is charming and the staff is eager to please. Its location is very convenient whether your looking for a place that's close to the trails or close to the town and the Lodge.
- Moganshan Solvang Village (Moganshan Solvang Village), No.70, Dazaowu Village, Deqing, Zhejiang Province (Moganshan), ☎ +86 15102192141, . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 12:00. Nestled in a quiet village in the heart of the bamboo forest in Moganshan with stunning views, Moganshan Solvang Village is the perfect getaway destination. edit