Mindo is a small town in the Andean foothills of Ecuador. Set in beautiful cloud-forest, it attracts birdwatchers first and foremost, but also has attractions for other tourists.
Mindo is located to the north west of Quito. This town was founded in 1861 and the current population is around 3000 inhabitants. Mindo is surrounded by the Mindo-Nambillo Cloud Forest; the forest is home to hundreds of species of birds, many of which are in danger of extinction.
The town has something for everyone, hiking trails, butterfly gardens, chocolate tours. It's easy to go bird watching up on the road past the waterfalls and see toucans, quetzals, tanagers of many colors, etc.
There are direct buses from Santo Domingo, La Concordia and Quito. It is not possible to buy a round trip ticket in Quito, just a one-way. For schedules and more bus info, check AndesTransit or see the "Getting Around" section of the Ecuador country page. There is a daily shared shuttle service departing from Quito (with personalized pick-ups) with 3 or so schedules. For private shuttles and customized schedules, see EcuadorBus.
The bus company is called Flor de Valle / Cayambe and departs from Terminal Terrestre Norte, La Ofelia (look for the Terminal Microregional sign). It moved a few years ago so ignore any references elsewhere on outdated websites and postings to it departing from Mariscal, since this is no longer the case. It is about a 30 to 40 minute taxi ride ($6) from the tourist area (Mariscal) to the bus station which is in the north of Quito at La Ofelia, or you can take the "Metrobus" bus rapid transit.
You can purchase tickets from Quito to Mindo for round-trip taxi rides from the Mariscal/new town in Quito to Ofelia. Seats on the right hand side of the bus to Mindo are more scenic. If you are going for a day trip, you should buy your return bus ticket immediately upon arrival in Mindo or you are at risk of not being able to return that day.
There are many more direct buses to and from Quito at weekends than during the week. As well as direct services, buses go fairly regularly from the Flor del Valle station to Los Bancos. Other bus lines are Kennedy, Aloag, San Pedrito These do not go into Mindo itself, but they pull over at the edge of the main road running along the top of the valley. From here it is usually easy to hop in a truck for $0.50-$3.00 depending on the number of passengers and go downhill into town. Similarly, you can return to Quito by getting a truck to take you up to the main road and catching a bus back. Just ask around in town.
If there are no seats left on the returning buses, it is possible to rent a car and a driver from the transportation company across the street and up the block.
Flor de Valle (leaving from La Ofelia) bus timetable:
Monday - Friday
Quito to Mindo 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm
Mindo to Quito 6:30 am, 11:00 am, 1:45 pm, 3:30 pm, 5:00 pm
Quito to Mindo 7:40 am, 8:20 am, 9:20 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 5:00 pm
Mindo to Quito 6:30 am, 11am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm
Quito to Mindo 7:40 am, 8:20 am, 9:20 am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00 pm
Mindo to Quito 6:30 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm
(Timetable updated according to times displayed at Flor de Valle ticket office in Mindo 04 July 2019)
See the birds of Mindo.
Mindo is home to over 450 species of birds, a great variety of butterflies, mammals, reptiles and amphibians, making Mindo a paradise for eco-tourism. Morning is supposed to be a better time to view birds, according to a local travel agent, and more guides will be available for tours. Consider staying overnight and dedicating your morning to this activity.
There are ziplines to fly over the ravines, you can go tubing in the river, and hike in the rainforest with nature guides.
Mariposas (butterflies) Visit the smaller butterfly park in town or a much larger one outside of town. The smaller park will offer a variety of species and plant life within a 5 minute walk from the bus station. The larger one is called Hostería Mariposas de Mindo (Sector La Yaguira Baja a 2 km del pueblo de Mindo, Mindo 170167. Map: https://goo.gl/maps/D8i9Se8PJHZJ9Rxu6). The cost was $7USD in December 2019.
Orquídeas (orchids) Visit an amazingly diverse garden of orchids (from extremely tiny to quite large, all possible colors) in town. The owner may give you a personal tour through the garden with species names, close up with binoculars, and cue your when to smell certain flowers for chocolate or menthol. The garden we went to was called Cabañas Armonía y Jardín de Orquídeas at Sixto Duran Vallen y Lluvia de Oro, Casa 2, Manzana 49, Mindo 170751 (Map: https://goo.gl/maps/a2adwtdeyR42AfYXA). The cost was $3 in December 2019.
Colibries (hummingbirds) Visit this relaxing area in Mindo to observe humming birds go through life right outside the observation patio area. You can order cheap food and drinks and sit for as long as you want. There are feeders so they can come quite close, but you will not interfere as long as you sit in the patio area.
2019 Update: We couldn't find this observation area as there is no location mentioned. However, Hostal El Descanso was offering an observation area for $4USD here https://goo.gl/maps/2cf72NAParkuP3ri9. When asked if they serve lunch they replied "no".
Chocolate Making Mindo Chocolate at El Quetzal de Mindo has artisan chocolate making tours daily where you can see the live fruit trees and the chocolate making all the way to being made into chocolate.
Things to Do in Mindo
- El Quetzal de Mindo Coffee Tour First harvest coffee cherries from our coffee trees and taste their fruit, then learn each step of the process of how we turn coffee fruit into a roasted cup of coffee, hands-on. We took a trip around Ecuador in 2008 to find the best green coffee in Ecuador. We found award-winning coffee locally. We are Coffee Roasters Mindo since 2008. Home of 100 producing coffee trees. Just up the hill from the main square in Mindo.
- El Quetzal de Mindo chocolate tour , The beginning of the Ruta de Cacao in Mindo every hour on the hour, the last tour 5:00 pm. $10. Learn the process of making award-winning small-batch chocolate, tour the biodiverse farm and walk among the cocoa trees with pods growing on them, see the entire artisan process of making small-batch chocolate from the tree to the finished chocolate bar. About 45 minutes; very informative! Multi-lingual tour guides taste a variety of chocolate inside a beautiful cafe on a hill overlooking the town of Mindo. Just up the hill from the main square in town (pass the yellow Banco de Pichincha ATM and past the El Sitio restaurant).
- "Bucket Pass Mindo" offers a bundled pass to five attractions in Mindo, from which you can choose four and save up to 25% from the regular price. This includes a less extensive "Chocolate Making" tour, the famous "Cable Car" to the Waterfalls, 10 lines of ziplining, 24 hour bike rental, or the entrance to the "Mariposario" (butterfly garden).
- Birdwatching Tours In Mindo, birding tours of the local surrounding and interior cloud forest are available. If you are not an experienced birdwatcher, you are not likely to see many birds on your own so definitely invest in a guide. A couple that are recommended by reviewers on TripAdvisor include Danny Jumbo ([email protected], quote for 2 people was: $85 which includes transportation, small breakfast and his service as guide or $60 for just his service as guide and just walking from the town) and Julia Patiño ([email protected], mobile: 0986162816. Cost: $75 for 2 people including transportation. Depart at 6am and return at 10 am).
- Bird of Paradise Tours offers birding tours to see the Andean Cook of the Rock, the Long Wattle Umbrela Bird and others. You can also do the Lloa-Mindo trek, Rappelling, Canopy and more. [email protected], 02 2 170 045
- La Leyenda de Chocolate Tourlocated at El Quetzal de Mindo, 9 de Octubre, just up the hill and to the LEFT from the Parque Central alt=""["http://elquetzaldemindo.com"] Hands on experience making chocolate from the raw bean. Tours every evening 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm or by appointment. You will experience cocoa beans being roasted over a wood fire, hand shelled, and hand ground in a stone grinder. The tour ends with a tasting of the traditional beverage. Discounted price if you buy tickets for both of our tours. Multi-lingual tour guides available. Local musicians play local music. Taste our award-winning chocolate: International chocolate awards and Ecuador Chocolate Awards Barra Dorada (GOLD)</do>
- At Reserva Ecologica Pachijal , an Eco & Bird Lodge, they offer birding guided tours inside the reserve and excursions to Yanacocha Reserve, Tandayapa Pass & Bellavista Reserve, Birds Sanctuaries of Milpe and Rio Silanche.
- Tours de Fotografia day and night photography tours for professionals or those who are interested in birds and nature.
- Visit one of the orchid farms.
- Visit the cascadas (waterfalls): it's a 7km uphill walk to the entrance or a $1/person ride each way. You get in via a $5 aerial tram (terabita). There's trails to multiple waterfalls, some closer and some farther, and it would take about five hours to see all of them. Be sure to take some drinking water and insect repellant with you, and check with a guide at the resort before using the water-slide or (for the adventurous, but only when the river is at the right height) going over the fall. Can also go "canyoning"/rappelling down waterfalls as high as 50 meters with an experienced guide. Bring a change of clothes and/or clothes you don't mind getting wet!!
- Travel downriver in an inner tube. This is called a regata and can be arranged in almost any shop. You can do a short trip (20 mins or so) down the river near Mindo or you can go to Rio Blanco, which is a much longer (2 hour) and altogether faster and more furious experience! Ask around for prices, you may be able to barter as well.
- El Quetzal Chocolate Tour, El Quetzal de Mindo, 9 de Octubre (just up the hill and to the LEFT from the Parque Central), . Mindo Chocolate, Award-Winning Chocolate: winners of Ecuador chocolate awards BARRA DORADA and International Chocolate Awards for the Rustic Pure Chocolate, Bean to Bar Chocolate tour seven days a week every hour, on the hour, between 10:00 am and the last tour each day starting at 5:00 pm. the cost for the tour is $10.00 at El Quetzal de Mindo. Learn about the history of chocolate and how chocolate is made from the fruit of the cacao plant. See cacao plants growing on our farm, experience the fermentation process, drying beds, roasting, grinding cocoa nibs, conching, bar molding, pressing cocoa powder and cocoa butter, learn how white chocolate is made. Chocolate tasting included in tour. Coffee roasting on site too. Muli-lingual tour guides available. edit
- Drink Artisan Beer made in Mindo. Also at El Quetzal you can taste hand-crafted beer for the first time in Mindo.
- Hike at Casa Amarilla Also called, Yellow House trails. $6 On the edge of town a local woman has created a series of hiking paths throughout the forests of her extensive property. You can hike anywhere from 1 to 8 hours, the map is a bit challenging, but you can't really get lost.The owner is a very friendly woman. Don't be surprised if she invites you into her home for coffee after your hike. There's a small entry fee. Bring good shoes because it can get muddy.
- Coffee tour, ☎ +593 98 265 0335. 10AM to 5PM. You will know the coffee plants, taste different kind of coffees and a dessert. You will learn the process from bean to cup. US$ 6 per person. You can find a tour located on the way to Mariposas de Mindo. On the left side you will see a sign that says coffee tour. Open from 10am to 5pm. $6 USD. edit
Freshly roasted coffee can also be purchased at the only coffee roastery in Mindo, Quetzal restaurant, they feature coffee from the region. El Quetzal has their own collection of fine Ecuadorian crafts some made in Mindo.
There is a T-shirt shop called Hyla which sells tourist t-shirts and postcards. The Hyla store has closed but they are selling t-shirts and postcards made by Hyla at El Quetzal.
Street sellers sell some interesting jewelry most days, but more on weekends.
An award winning Mindo chocolate bar.
- El Quetzal de Mindo, 9 de Octubre (Across the street from Amigos de La Naturaleza, Mindo, Ecuador), . 8:00 am-9:00 pm, seven days a week. Serves fresh foods harvested from their own organic gardens. Delicious Ecuadorian dishes and typical American food is also served. There are always freshly made vegetarian options available. Fresh fish, chicken, beef and pork dishes, shrimp, ceviche. Delicious desserts include the world's best brownies. Home made ice cream is delicious! Also, Ecuadorian coffee is roasted on site. Espresso, cappuccino, lattes, mochaccino and cafe pasado are all offered. Coffee roasted on site is available by the pound. Food is carefully prepared and washed in purified water, so you can eat salads, fruits and vegetables here. Award winning Chocolate: International chocolate awards and Ecuador Chocolate Awards: Barra Dorada (GOLD) edit
- Omarcito serves good food at reasonable prices.
- El Chef is rather unusual in being essentially a steakhouse. Slightly expensive by local standards, but worth it.
- Fuera de Babylonia is a secluded restaurant/bar/hostel near the center of town with excellent rustic atmosphere, reggae and other good tunes, healthy and delicious food, including a decent vegetarian selection. A bit pricey but worth the relaxing atmosphere. The locale was designed by the owner and his son and reportedly uses over 100 different types of wood from the surrounding area and amazon region.
- The pizzaria/bakery along the main strip does good pizza although it is a little overpriced.
- Los Colibries is a nice peaceful little restaurant which does good food. You can also watch lots of types of hummingbird visiting the feeders. Walk out of town past the volleyball courts and keep walking until you cross a bridge. Take the left turn uphill by some big gates and you will find the restaurant.
- Dragonfly Inn, . edit
- "El Nómada" is a pizzeria and bar which offers the best fresh handmade pizza and pasta of Mindo or maybe all over Ecuador which is worth it's price!!. On weekends they have cocktails at the bar. Nice atmosphere. Run by an Ecuadorian family and an Italian co-owner.
- Caskaffesu, ☎ 390-0400; 09-386-7154. With a fine dining feel, this place is a must, if nothing else, for its brownies made with two kinds of Ecuadorian chocolate. mains $5-8. edit
- Cafe Mindo. Try the Mexican Burger a well cooked beef patty with bacon, guacamole, cheese, tomato and beans. edit
- Mimi's Bistro, 215 Sexto Duran Vallen & Manakin (Take third right after crossing bridge into town (from bus station, go downhill until the first intersection and turn right). You should see the sign. It is before the stadium on the left.), ☎ (593-9) 98-677-168. 9am (earlier with reservation)-12am. Just off the mian strip, Mimi's Bistro is rustic and spacious. Options include typical or international food made with fresh local produce (much coming from Mimi's garden). Try a homemade pasta dish and dessert with freshly-brewed local coffee or one of the many herbal infusions (most come from the garden... No tea bags). The view is also very nice. Birds are usually in the garden (including hummingbirds and tanagers), which is easy to see through the big windows while you eat. Between $2.50-$10.00 per plate. edit
- Mishqui quinde (Sweet humming bird), Casa del Arbol (take the road towards El Quetzal, you will see a treehouse in a courtyard on your left. This is Oswaldo's place.), ☎ (+593) 998 489 9234. Oswaldo Proano serves very delicious ice cream with quinoa pudding. Also makes delicious quinoa burgers and stirfry for $2.5. The owner is a very nice guy and will chat you up. Definitely worth a try! from $2.5. edit
- Birdwatcher's Breakfast, (Up the road to the cascadas, past Mindo Canopy and before the cascadas), ☎ 0967973017. 7:30-10:30am. Hearty English breakfasts of sausage, grilled tomatoes, eggs, toast, fruit, good coffee and a view of Volcan Pinchincha on a clear day. A young couple from England live here, where they've created a lovely outdoor breakfast and birdwatching experience on their mountainside property overlooking the Rio Mindo valley. A perfect way to end a morning birding walk up the road to the cascades. Take a stroll on garden paths and trails through the woods, Carl is a fun guide and has a lot to share about the local flora & fauna and life in the cloud forest. $3-$6. edit
- Las Terrazas de Dana, Via a Las Cascadas, Km. 1,2, ☎ +593984099146, . This lodge has 4 bungalows with spectacular views of the valley of Mindo. Each bungalows has its own private patio where guests can enjoy personalized breakfast, lunch and dinner while viewing hummingbirds and other bird species in the different feeders that are disseminated. The hotel is a perfect spot for couples or families with youngsters searching for a peaceful and sentimental get-away, and at the same time exceptionally fascinating. edit
There are a few nice bars in Mindo, but these only really get busy at the weekends.
- Out of Babylon / Fuera de Babylonia is a nice place to have a pint or two. If you would like to sip cocktails and have a little dance.
- Nomada, which is off the main plaza. It stays open fairly late. Cocktails are about $5-8 and are pretty strong.
- Drink Artisan Beer made in Mindo. Also at El Quetzal you can taste hand-crafted beer. Don't miss the Ginger beer made with their own organically grown ginger, at El Quetzal.
There is a stadium in the village, and most locals don't mind if you plant your tent in there. Of course, you have to leave early in the morning to avoid disturbing their daily activities.
- ""Mindo Real *" Hotel/Lodge and campsite. Located 1km from the town centre (10 minute walk or taxi approx $2) take the road past the stadium and continue straight ahead, there is a orange and green gate and sign, hard to miss. Accommodation in the lodge, a single room is $30 per person with breakfast included (fruit, juice, bread, eggs, empanadas, hot milk/water, coffee). Double for $52 (tax included). This also includes access to a lovely swimming pool with deck chairs. Also there is a little trail down to the river where the camping area is. Camping is $5 per person, there is toilets, showers, BBQ area, eating area. Fast wifi in the rooms and hotel area. Call or whatsapp 0997663845, or email; [email protected]
- Hostal El Rocio, considered one of the friendliest backpacker hostels in Mindo. hosted by Claudia (from Quito). It is a rustic and natural place just up the road from the sports field and away from the foot traffic in the village, Hostal Rocio (The morning dew) features accommodations for larger groups of 16 or more, as well as, single, double and private rooms for couples. Private or shared bathrooms with plenty of balcony space for hanging out and enjoying the jungle. Prices are low at $8 (2 nights+ to $10 (one night). She used to make a hearty breakfast which was included but says she no longer does that because she was losing money. The vibe is laid back and peaceful. Lots of birds and squirrels to view from the balconies. Groups with parents and children can be accommodated in separate houses on the property if more privacy is needed. A patio/gazebo with BBQ grill in the jungle is only a short walk from the lodging. Claudia speaks English well and can help you organize day trips to birdwatching, waterfalls, private protected lands and can also pick you up from the Mindo bus station. Cell for Claudia inside Ecuador 09-822-7359
- El Quetzal de Mindo & Mindo chocolate factory is located just up the hill from El Parque Central de Mindo across from Amigos de La Naturaleza. Quiet, yet only 1 block from the center of town. Beautiful large rooms, comfortable king and queen size beds, each with its own private bath. Beautiful views overlooking Mindo. Each room has its own unlimited supply of filtered water (reverse osmosis) from the tap.This is one of the few hotels that you will find in Ecuador that uses a hot water heater with a large tank for an uninterrupted supply of luscious hot water. Restaurant on site with organic foods harvested and served daily, as well as, a long list of incredible desserts. Also, you can find the best organic coffee in town. Brewed fresh everyday. $26.00 per person per night includes private room, a delicious breakfast and guided chocolate tour. Don't miss the chocolate making tour from bean to chocolate bar. It includes chocolate and brownie samples. Contact [email protected],  Telephone (outside Ecuador) 011 593 862-63805 (inside Ecuador) 0862-63805. Free WiFi.
- CasKaffeSu, at Sixto Bailen a/n and Av. Quito, a half block from the bus terminal, is the newest guesthouse and has a nice restaurant and can make arrangements for a birdwatching guide, hiking, rafting, etc.. [email protected], [email protected], www.caskaffesu.com., 593 2 3900 400. Please refer to the good tripadvisor reviews for this guesthouse.
- Mindo Biohostal, CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE TRIPADVISOR 2013-2014" WINNER. JUST 200 meters from the central park, 14 spacious rooms. Each room has a private bathroom and new and comfortable beds.hammocks, a small area upstairs for reading and relaxing, and a public computer with internet access, as well as free Wi-Fi. Bedrooms are well-lit, well decorated, spacious, and very clean, It's off the main road, away from the traffic of the village, but just a couple minutes' walk from the bus station and town park. Right next to a butterfly farm and they can arrange trips or advise on birdwatching, hikes, waterfall visits, etc. Price (usually $16, can be more or less depending on season) includes excellent hearty breakfast plus free coffee, tea and bottled water all day. English, Spanish and German spoken. Parking available. Website: http://www.mindobiohostal.com/, email [email protected] or call inside Ecuador 09 85415891 or 02 223 2783. From the bus station, walk toward the park, turn right at the first street (with central park on the left). Offer LAST MINUTE PRICE USD 16 + 12%Tax.- Breakfast included.
- Casa Divina Lodge, ([email protected]), ☎ 0991725874/0990509626, . Prices from $90 a night and include breakfast, evening meal and unlimited tea, coffee and filtered drinking water. Each room has a private porch with hammock, spacious living quarters and an elegant bathroom with full-size bathtub. Each room can accommodate 1 to 4 guests. Meals in the family style dining room and there is a beautiful observation deck on the 3rd floor of the main house. Short self-guided hikes that offer great lookout points around the property as well as guided bird tours are available. Birdwatching possible in forest. Tanagers, quetzals, toucans, hummingbirds are at your window making it possible to birdwatch even from bed! Casa Divina Lodge also offers a range of tour packages for birdwatching, photography, adventure and a great combination of all. edit
- Cabañas Armonia Stay with the lovely Toapanta family in a beautiful orchid garden surrounded by hummingbirds and tranquillity. Cabins have their own bathroom with plenty of hot water, OK beds and a porch with chairs and hammock for $17 including breakfast. They also have rooms available for $11 with a shared bathroom. Just past the stadium coming from the main street. Tel 0999435098 or [email protected]
- Birdwatcher´s House,  Clean and comfortable rooms with private bathrooms and hot water available 24 hours. Jacuzzi, bird watching tours. A place to relax and enjoy the surrounding aromas of flowers as well as the sounds of singing birds. In the gardens of the Birdwatcher’s House it is possible to see up to 50 different species of birds. The hostel also offers: restaurant service, cafeteria, laundry service and expert bird watching guides. Contact Vinicio Perez at [email protected]
- El Bijao hotel is a fair way from the bus drop-off point, but has plenty of space to relax. Hot water from the shower is a matter of luck. There is a restaurant.
- There is a wide choice of accommodation in Mindo, in fact there are probably more hotel/hostel beds than actual residents in the town. Many of these are close to the main strip.
- El Descanso, (near the stadium), ☎ 00593 (0) 2 390-0443, . Clean and comfortable rooms, hammocks, kolibris in the garden, excellent breakfast, nice and friendly woman running the hostal; 12 US-$ for room with shared bathroom, 16 US-$ private; [email protected] 16 US-$. edit
- Dragonfly Inn, Corner of Quito Avenue and Sucre St (entering town, first place on the left after crossing the Canchapi River), ☎ 593-2-217-0426/593-9-238-2189, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 12:30PM. Offers clean rooms that are finished in wood, private baths, hot water, comfortable beds and outdoor balconies. Room rates include breakfast. Plants and hummingbirds abound from the restaurant balcony overlooking the garden patio along the river. Singles $25, doubles $43, triples $58, quadruples $77. edit
- La Casa de Cecilia, checkout="11PM" price="$8 per person (camping no longer available)" lat="" long=""> Shared showers, hammock deck and communal kitchen overlooking the swimming area on the river. Delicious breakfast for $2.50 and free luggage storage if you are catching a bus after checkout time. None of the rooms are entirely closed off, so it gets quite loud if anybody is having a conversation. </sleep>
- El Carmelo de Mindo Lodge, Mindo, ☎ +593 93071459, . El Carmelo has a tree houses cabins, some of them equipped with jacuzzi. Also has its own butterfly farm. Horse back riding, canopy tours, tubing, and birdwatching are also available. US$ 50. edit
- Rubby Hostal, (a 5 minute walk from the main road), ☎ 09-340-6321; 09-193-1853, . Higly recommended for its clean, basic finished wooden rooms and hearty breakfasts. Shared bathrooms are clean and there is also a hammock balcony and water dispenser. The attic room is beautiful and can host up to 7 people. Owner Marcelo is a known bird watching guide, and the will even come to meet you at the bus stop. $8 incl breakfast. edit
- La Casa del Camino Mindo, Calle Quito S/N (Frente al Colegio Tecnico Ecuador), ☎ land line 02-2170456 / Cell: 08-7713908, . checkin: 12:00pm; checkout: 11:30am. This rustic style hostel at a short walk from the town centre offers private ecological cabins with linens, towels, a full bathroom and a splendid view of the property. There's restaurant service for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the staff speaks English. The local fruit trees on the property attract many types of bird species and there's a pond. The hostel offers free Wi-Fi and there's a communal social area. On request, it can arrange tours of Mindo and bus station pick ups. $15.00. edit
- La Roulotte, (at km 2 towards Butterfly farm), . 6 new cabins in a nice garden, completed with an excelent restaurant. 35/single; 56/double; 89/4pers. edit
- El tio colón. 5 walking minutes from the center away, this newly built hostel offers western-standard rooms including warm water, mosquito nets and towels. The owner is very friendly and extremely helpful. One night costs 6$, breakfast can additionally be purchased for 2.5$ (however, it´s not really recommendable). It´s no problem to leave the room a bit later. 6$. edit
- Hosteria Quindepungo, Via de las Cascadas, ☎ 0993360890, . checkin: 10am; checkout: 12:30. Located next to the Mariposario, this rustic style hotel and restaurant is located next to the tranquil Mindo river. With beautiful views of the river, gardens and ponds, this place is great for relaxation and nature lovers. Rooms range from more economic style to spacious and well furnished suites. The property has many nature trails and a private island to explore and see birds, butterflies and other types of wildlife. $30. edit
- Hostal La Tranquilidad, Mindo (about 200m from the main road. Coming from uphill, turn right in the street after the bridge (when you see 'Dragonfly at your left hand). Otherwise, ask around, most people know it.), ☎ 2 170 036 or 099 476 512 or 097 472 231 ([email protected]). checkout: 12:00. A pretty chill and cheap place not too far from the action in Mindo (then again, Mindo is super small). Very tranquil, except for the neigbours' cocks that start to make noise early in the morning (though most people get up early when visiting Mindo). Includes towels, has wifi and a kitchen available, and has consistent hot water. Price mentioned is as of March 2016 for a matrimonial with shared bath. They do have rooms with private bath available. Price was on a weekday in low-season, prices may vary during the weekend and in high season. $6. edit
- Mindo Coffee Lodge & Spa located 5 minutes walking from center of Mindo. Tree house with indoor Jacuzzi - King bed size, familiar bungallow and tree house from two to 6 people - Queen and full bed size, a room in the main house-king bed size. Comfortable rooms with private bathroom and balcony with nice view to the Cloud Forest. Nice gardens. Heated pool and spa massages. Ecuadorian, International and vegetarian dishes are served on site indoor and outdoor restaurant with great view to the mountains. Coffee-bar and restaurant are open from 7am to 10pm. Contact [email protected], whatsapp (593)982650335.
- Mindo Real, (beyond the stadium, down dirt road left of tubing hire). Camping next to small stream,with free wifi, showers, toilets, covered fire and eating area Camping $4 ($8 with swimming pool). edit
- Las Terrazas de Dana Lodge, Via a Las Cascadas, Km. 1,2 (Road to the Waterfalls), ☎ +593984099146, . checkin: 2:00pm; checkout: 12:00. This lodge has 4 bungalows with spectacular views of the valley of Mindo. Each bungalows has its own private patio where guests can enjoy personalized breakfast, lunch and dinner while viewing hummingbirds and other bird species in the different feeders that are disseminated. The hotel is a perfect spot for couples or families with youngsters searching for a peaceful and sentimental get-away, and at the same time exceptionally fascinating. 120. edit
Flor de Valle's bus station is right on the main road. Bus times are displayed and tickets can be bought. It is also possible to get buses to Los Bancos and Santo Domingo from the main square.
Monday - Friday
Quito to Mindo 8:00 am, 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm
Mindo to Quito 6:30 am, 11:00 am, 1:45 pm, 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm
Quito to Mindo 7:40 am, 8:20 am, 9:20 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm
Mindo to Quito 6:30 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm
Quito to Mindo 7:40 am, 8:20 am, 9:20 am, 2:00 pm
Mindo to Quito 6:30 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm
(Timetable updated according to times displayed at Flor de Valle ticket office in Mindo 18 March 2016)
Mindo is one of the most frequently visited rainforest destinations in Ecuador. It's fantastic birdwatching and high biodiversity, coupled with it's close location to Quito means that it's a very popular destination. Alternative rainforest destinations in Ecuador include the Amazon region, the Esmeraldas region and Piedra Blanca