Mediaș or Medgyes (Hungarian) or Mediasch (German) is the second biggest city in Sibiu County, with a population of around 50.000.
You can easily get in Mediaș either by train (an important station in the Romanian railway network) or car (from Sibiu or Sighișoara). There are 3 airports that are in reachable distance:
Mediaș is in the Eastern European time zone (UTC+2, with a DST of UTC+3 from April to October).
The official language is Romanian and the younger generations also speak reasonable English or French. Because of the Germanic influence and the German kindergarten, school and high-school, German is also known by many, as well as Hungarian (being the second minority of the city with 10% of the population).
The local transportation operator is called Meditur, practically one can get with these buses in every part of the city, lately there are micro buses as well. Because the city center is pretty compact, one can easily walk from one attraction to the other. The taxi is always a good and cheap choice.
Mediaş has one of the best preserved historical centers in Romania and also some well preserved medieval fortifications.
- St. Margaret Church. The fortified-church was built in gothic style in 1488, with time it went through different modifications. The feeble ground structure made its tower, built in 1460, incline. 1550 the church was raised with three storeys and in 1551 four smaller towers were added to show that the city had a court. It was at that time that it gained its 68.5 meters height. In 1783 the roof-structure was changed and the small towers renovated, it was also than that the golden globe, dating from 1550, was brought down from the tower and according to tradition its content was read aloud. The tower proved to be a good spotting post. In those times the trumpeter in the tower had a great function, alerting about the approaching danger. If he made a mistake, he would've been thrown out from the top of the tower. From this does the towers name derive, Trumpeters tower.
- Tower of the Buglers. About 70 meters tall. Its construction started in the 13th century. In the 15th century it was raised to 5 tiers.
- Franciscan Church and Monastery. Built in gothic style in 1444, this church was later renovated in baroque style and a rococo style altar was added. The annex once served as silversmiths' workshops.
- Stephan Ludwig Roth Memorial House. It was in this house that historian Stephan Ludwig Roth (1796-1849) was born. Roth challenged the 1884 Magyar Diet’s decision imposing Hungarian as the official language in Transylvania. As Romanians made up the bulk of the population, Roth claimed that Romanian was justified to be the official language. His progressive ideas led to his assassination in May 11, 1849.
- The County History Museum Str. Mihai Viteazul 46, ☎ +40269841299. 9:00 - 17:00, Monday closed.
- Stephan Ludwig Roth High School
The area was inhabited by Saxons, therefore, it should be no surprise, that around Mediaș (in every direction) there are a lot of villages, where one can still discover the beauties of the past: in every village there is a fortified church, the houses built in Saxon style. The best preserved and most famous of all these villages is Biertan . There are also some routes definitely worth to be done:
- Mediaș - Dumbrăveni - Valchid - Laslea - Mălâncrav
- Mediaș - Axente Sever - Agârbiciu - Șeica Mare - Buia - Mihăileni
- Mediaș - Moșna - Alma Vii - Pelișor
- Mediaș - Târnava - Șeica Mică - Țapu - Micăsasa
- Mediaș - Blăjel - Bazna - Boian - Cetatea de Baltă
- Mediaș - Brateiu - Ațel - Șaroș pe Târnave - Biertan - Richiș - Copșa Mare
- Augustus: Str. I. C. Brătianu, nr. 24
- L&G: Str. Brateiului, nr. 8
- Binder Bubi: Str. Plopului F.N.
- Noi's: Soseaua Sibiului nr. 38
- Casa Honterus: Str. Honterus, nr. 11
- Central: Str. M. Eminescu, nr. 4 - 7
- Zen Chinese Restaurant: Str. St. L. Roth, nr. 6
- Select: Str. Petofi Sandor, nr. 3
- Edelweiss: Str. Aurel Vlaicu nr. 5
- Traube: Piata Regele Ferdinand I, nr. 16
- Han Greweln: Str. Greweln, nr.1
- Vila Flora: Str. Hermann Oberth, nr. 43
- King's: Sos. Sibiului, nr. 160
- Big Pizza: Soseaua Sibiului, nr. 48
- Mama Mia: Str. Honterus, nr. 27
- Medieval Bistro: Str. Episcop Ioan Suciu, nr. 2
- Pizzarito: Str. Mica, nr.1
- Pizza Roma: Soseaua Sibiului, nr. 60A
- Criss: Str. L. Blaga, nr. 4
- Trattoria Roma: Piata Regele Ferdinand I
- Art Cafe: Str. I.G. Duca, nr. 44
- McGowan's Irish Pub: Str. Unirii, nr. 7
- Central Park: Piata Regele Ferdinand I, nr. 29
- Neghy's Cafe: Str. Stephan Ludwig Roth, nr. 69
- Offside Cafe: Piata Regele Ferdinand I, nr. 17
- Eclipse: Str. Turda, nr. 13
- Prohibition Pub: Str. Stephan Ludwig Roth, nr. 1
- Hypnose: Str. I.G. Duca, nr. 5
- Hotel BinderBubi ****: Str Plopului 1N
- Hotel Traube ***: Piata Regele Ferdinand I, nr. 16
- Hotel Central **: Str Mihai Eminescu 4-7
- Han Greweln ****: Str Greweln 1
- Hotel Edelweiss **: Str Aurel Vlaicu Nr 23
- Motel LG ***: Str Brateiului 8
- Hotel Select ** Str Petofi Sandor 3
- Fabini Apartments Piata Regele Ferdinand I 5