Matemwe is a traditional village on the East Coast of Zanzibar. At the long beach, there are several small hotels and lodges. The famous Mnemba Island is very close.
- From Stone Town by taxi for ~$40 (1h.15)
- From Stone Town by dala dala bus for 1.800 TZS (2h.30).
- From Stone Town by shuttle bus for $10 p/p (1h.30)
- From Nungwi by taxi for 20.000 TZS after haggling (September 2016) (30m).
- From South East Coast by shuttle bus for $12 p/p (2h.00)
- From South East Coast by taxi for ~$60 (1h.45)
It is recommended to pre book taxis online to get the best price, if not be prepared for a lot of haggling! Shuttles need to be booked online before travel - you can reserve tickets via The Zanzibus
- a very traditional village right behind the beach lines
- local children playing between palms
- sun rises at the beach
- walk at the long beach
- go on a snorkling trip to Mnemba Island
- go diving with one of several scuba diving operators/schools at Mnemba Island, e.g. One Ocean, Scuba Libre
- sunset trip by boat to Nungwi.
- Scuba diving can be done at a few places. There are the typical big corporate companies. There is a local who used to work for one of them for many years, who now has his own shop. Kibwana's divers, is local, more intimate (not 20 people on the boat like the big companies), 20-30% cheaper (he does $100 for 2 dives including lunch). He also allows for more flexibility in the slower season (go to a particular reef, attempt to see particular animals). If you ask he has floated the possibility of spear fishing with divers at an additional cost of $50, including cooking and serving the fish. His shop is located in between keys bungalows and Mohammeds bungalows.
Contact kibwana via WhatsApp at +255 654 670 605
There are several small restaurants at the beach, only one having a menu in TZS, most having (higher) prices in USD.
Many lodges offer breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Arena Beach Club Zanzibar a cozy restaurant in Kumba Urembo, Kiwengwa. They serve Mediterranean food such as "paella", "gazpacho", "tortilla", "pulpo a feira" and much more. They also serve drinks & cocktails. (https://www.facebook.com/arenazanzibar/)
When you arrive at the roundabout, several sign advertise accommodation and diving.
- Mohamed Bungalows Matemwe Zanzibar, Matemwe Beach (North Eastern coast line), ☎ 0777431881 ([email protected]), . checkin: Any time; checkout: 10h00am. Mohamed Restaurant & Bungalows provides basic, clean and comfortable accommodation, with friendly staff who have a wealth of local knowledge. There are 4 rooms, with ensuite bathrooms, mosquito nets and fans. Laundry service is also available. 45 USD for double room including breakfast. edit
- Matemwe Tunda Lodge, Matemwe Beach (North Eastern coast line, close to the beach), ☎ 0777421400. checkin: Any time; checkout: 10h00am. Nice rooms, nice site, friendly staff, great breakfast. There are 4 rooms, with ensuite bathrooms, mosquito nets, fans and A/C. Lunch and dinner also available. 60 USD for double room including breakfast, can be haggled down to 40 USD easily.. edit
- Uzioni Beach Bungalows, Matemwe Beach, ☎ 0747-417701. edit
- To Kiwengwa. Same beach, further south.
- To Stone Town by taxi for 28.000 TZS after haggling (September 2016).
- To Stone Town by dala dala bus for 1.800 TZS per person.
- To Nungwi by taxi for 20.000 TZS after haggling.
- Right before Stone Town, you can get out of the taxi or dala dala at Bububu for a more local beach.