Matemo Island is in Mozambique in the northern province of Cabo Delgado, and is part of the Quirimbas archipelago. Matemo is one of the southern islands that fall within the Quirimbas National Park.
The island is 100km north of Pemba, 6km from the mainland and approximately 2400 hectares in size. It has palm groves, palm vegetation and pristine beaches as well as a number of small indigenous villages. The islanders' main source of income is from fishing.
The island features the Matemo Island Resort, which opened late in 2004. The resort solved the problem of lack of fresh water by installing a desalination plant, which also provides fresh water to islanders.
The resort provides the only job opportunities on the island for the community, other than subsistence fishing. The community is said to be given first option for jobs and encouraged to learn new skills.
- The 30 minute flight from Pemba is included in the cost of accommodation at the resort.
- Treat yourself to an underwater wonderland with captivating diving and snorkeling where you can experience some of the world's richest coral reefs. Diving: $40/50/60 pp for near / central / far reefs (min 3 pax). Scuba refresher for divers who have not dived in last six months: $40. PADI resort course (incl an open water dive): $99. Prices inclusive of scuba equipment.
- Take a walk through the local villages, stop for a friendly chat (if you can speak Portuguese), or take a village tour offered by the resort, $29.50/person.
- Take a fishing charter, $440/715 per trip (max 3 pax) for half day / full day.
- Dhow Sunset Cruise, $27.50/person.
- The only restaurant is at the Matemo Island Resort.
- Zanzi-bar at the Matemo Island Resort.
- Matemo Island Resort. The only accommodation on the island, it offers 24 chalets, a restaurant, bar, a pool and kilometers of beaches. Each chalet within 10 meters of the beach and has a verandah with a hammock. The resort offers flights to and from Pemba, included in the price of accommodation. standard double room including breakfast, per person sharing, from US$288 to US$346. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!