Located in the province of Vicenza, Marostica (Maròstega in Veneto dialect) is famous all over the world for the human chess game it carries out every other year, with personages living in the city public square.
The heart of the Marostica is enclosed by its Medieval wall, with both an Upper and Lower castle, and the living chess game square being right at the centre of the town. And the Scaligeri nobles from Verona were the key protagonists of Marostica’s important and still visible past.
In addition to its very charming and very lively Medieval atmosphere, Marostica is also famous for the different varieties of cherries which are produced in the area. Local cherries bear the PGI (protected geographical indication) mark and have long been celebrated in local markets, festivals and, of course, culinary tradition.
Marostica has a direct bus connection with Vicenza railway station. Alternatively, a direct bus connection exists with Bassano del Grappa railway station too. From Bassano:
More info is available on Trenitalia's website .
Two international airports are conveniently located nearby:
- Venezia Marco Polo (VCE) , 85km, lot of destinations throughout Europe - by train: bus to Venice station, then train to Vicenza or Bassano, then bus
- Treviso (TSF) , 52km, low-cost airport with Ryanair and other carriers - by train: bus to Treviso station, then train to Vicenza, then bus
Marostica is just 30km north-east of Vicenza, which can easily be reached through the A4 Milano-Venezia highway (Vicenza Est and Vicenza Ovest exits).
FTV () directly connects Marostica to Bassano (15min) and Vicenza (45min).
Discovering the town on foot is very easy. The historic centre is not very big, so you can easily go around in the narrow streets. And you can also walk all around its Medieval walls from the Lower up to the Upper Castle, but this is a bit more demanding.
Marostica is famous for the human chess game which takes place every two years in the main square, next game will be on 7, 8 and 9 September 2018. The event involve also hundreds of characters dressed in medieval costumes. Throughout the year some of the costumes are on display at the chess game museum in the Castle.
- Museo dei Costumi della Partita a Scacchi (chess game costumes museum), Piazza Castello 1, ☎ +39 0424 72127 ([email protected], fax: +39 0424 72800), . edit
- Ristorante A Betoea, Corso Mazzini, 1, ☎ +39 0424 77584. edit
- Ristorante Al Castello Superiore, Via Cansignorio Della Scala, 4, ☎ +39 0424 73315 ([email protected], fax: +39 0424 475947), . edit
- Ristorante Bar Da Rossi, Via Consagrollo, 69, ☎ +39 0424 72416. edit
- Trattoria Caissa, Corso Mazzini, 104, ☎ +39 0424/472393 ([email protected]), . edit
- Ristorante Da Luciana e Lionello, Via Sisemol, 59, ☎ +39 0424 702017. edit
- Ristorante Pizzeria Lunaelaltro, corso della Ceramica 33, ☎ +39 0424 478098 ([email protected]), . closed on Wednesdays. edit
- Ristorante Sant'Agata, Via S. Agata, 9, ☎ +39 0424 471270 ([email protected]), . edit
- Ristorante Sotoportego Due Mori, Corso Mazzini, 75, ☎ +39 0424 472238. edit
- Locanda San Luca, Via San Luca 12, ☎ +39 0424 72271 ([email protected]), . edit
- Bar Ristorante Da Roberta, Via Panica, 150, ☎ +39 0424 470480. edit
- Gastronomia Ristorante Da Bastian, Via Gobbe, 10/A, ☎ +39 0424 73623 ([email protected]), . edit
- Ristorante Bar Al Centro 36063 Marostica (VI) Via Chiesa, 16 tel: 0424 489420
- Trattoria Al Mago 36063 Marostica (VI) Via Fose, 26 tel: 0424 702053
- Trattoria Al Santuario 36063 Marostica (VI) Via Capitelli, 1 tel: 0424 77266
- Trattoria Da Agnese 36063 Marostica (VI) Via Pedalto, 23 tel: 0424 4744000424 702018
- Trattoria Da Bertin 36063 Marostica (VI) V. Perozzi, 11 tel: 0424 702527cell:338 4782485
- Trattoria Da Nonna Isetta 36063 Marostica (VI) V. Nonis, 1 tel: 0424 780452
- Trattoria Da Tranquillo 36063 Marostica (VI) Via Chiesa, 1 tel: 0424 72980
- Trattoria Osteria Dalla Zita 36063 Marostica (VI) V. Cà Brusa, 5 tel: 0424 722070424 75665
- Locanda Valbella, Via Val Bella Alta, 18 - Vallonara di Marostica (2km from the city centre), ☎ +39 0424 780377 ([email protected], fax: +39 0424 780377), . edit
- Agriturismo Al Ciliegio, via Valbella ALta 5, ☎ +39 0424 77732. edit