Maribo  is a city in Lolland. This is the main inland town of Lolland with 6,000 inhabitants. Here you can visit Maribo Cathedral and the beautiful Sønder Lake, which is the primary part of Maribo Lakes National Park.
Maribo is the seat of Lolland Municipality. It is a borough and one of the few in Denmark not on the coast.
Maribo dates back from the 15th century. At that time a small village called Skimminge existed here, there is still a street of that name. A convent dedicated to Virgin Mary was established here and the name was changed to Maribo, meaning Mary's home, also Maribo Cathedral was built. The town developed around the convent for the next 100 years or so, but after the reformation the convent was shut down and the town did not see much development for centuries, despite being the seat of Maribo County and of Maribo Diocese. From the middle of the 19th century, an industrial development slowly took off.
Maribo is a trafic junction on Lolland.
The nearest airport is in Copenhagen 150km away.
The local train, Lollandsbanen , running between Nakskov and Nykøbing Falster passes through here. The travel time from either of the two places is around 25 minutes.
Comming from Copenhagen, you will have to change trains in Nykøbing Falster, the total travel time is around 2 hours. Comming from Rødby, you would also have to travel to Nykøbing Falster and change for Lollandsbanen there, so a local bus is a much faster option.
Maribo is a local bus hub with buses from/to most other places on Lolland. This includes Rødby Færgehavn (bus 23 or 24, 23 minutes), Sakskøbing(bus 800, 16 minutes), Nykøbing Falster (bus 800, 37 minutes), Bandholm (bus 20, 14 minutes), Knuthenborg (bus 20, 10 minutes), Kragenæs (bus 20, 35 minutes), Nakskov (bus 14 or 800, 35 minutes). From/to Nysted you will have to change buses at Toreby.
Motorway E47 passes just north of Maribo connecting it to Rødby 20km southwest and in the other direction to Falster, Vordingborg (50km) and Copenhagen (140km). Nakskov is 25km west.
Maribo is small enough to walk around. There are a few infrequent local buses. There are two local taxis reachable at +45 5478 1200 and +45 5478 0500, respectively. It is possible to rent bikes from Maribo Turistbureau.
Old houses in Maribo in the Bagtorvet Area south of Torvegade and Torvet, here on Søndergade
- Bangs Have, Bangshavevej (a few hundred meters west of the town centre, southwest of the train station). Always open. Park established in the 19th century and since used for promenades and entertainment. Crisscossed by walking paths including a nice walk to the cathedral and convent ruins. Hylddalen, Maribo Open Air Museum and the local camping site are all within this park. Free. edit
- Bagtorvet Area. In this area south of Torvegade and Torvet you will find the old part of town with buildings from the 17th and 18th century. The oldest one is Kapellangården in Kappelanstræde from 1756, but also Brødregade and Søndergade are worth a visit. edit
- Convent Ruin (Klosterruinen), Klostergade 35. There are only ruins left from the catholic convent, which was so central in the early days of Maribo history. It was established in the 15th century with both a monk and a nun part. The convent did not survive the reformation and the last monk left in mid 16th century. The convent continued for 75 years as a secular monestary. edit
- Former City Hall, Torvet. Built in 1856 and working as city hall until the merger of Maribo Municipality into Lolland Municipality. The building now houses the local archives of Maribo. edit
- Maribo Cathedral (Maribo Domkirke). edit
- Sønder Lake (Søndersø). Also possible to rent a boat and fishing gear. edit
- Golfklubben Maribo Sø, Refshale Byvej 22, Refshalegården, ☎ +45 5478 2655 ([email protected], fax: +45 5478 2655), . edit
- Hylddalen, Bangs Have, Bangshavevej 23. Open air theater and music venue. edit
- Maribowl - AktivitetsCenter, V. Kolbyesvej 17, ☎ + 45 5475 8500 ([email protected], fax: +45 5475 8503), . Offers bowling and mini golf. edit
- Maribo-Bandholm Museum Train, . edit
- Lollandscenteret, Hjulsporet 27. Shopping mall. edit
- Madam Tina, Vestergade 18, ☎ +45 5474 6182. Handicrafts and gift shop. edit
- Cafe Maribo, Vestergade 6A, ☎ +45 5478 3976. Serves traditional Danish food. edit
- Café Xanthos, Østergade 33, ☎ +45 5475 7778. edit
- Milano Café, Vestergade 13. M-Sa 11MA-10PM, Su noon-10PM. Italian cuisine, primarily pizzas, pastas and burgers. Main 65-125 DKK, pizzas or pastas around 60 DKK. edit
- Restaurant China House, Vestergade 4, ☎ +45 5478 1366. edit
- Rådhuspubben, Jernbanegade 20, ☎ +45 5478 0287. edit
- Zanne's Café, Østergade 35. edit
- Diskotek Mona, Torvet 17, . F-Sa 11PM-5AM. The only disco in town. Has a separate section, Mona+, playing old Danish music the first Saturday evening every month. Also features a sports pub. edit
- Danhostel Maribo, Sdr. Boulevard 82B, ☎ +45 5478 3314 ([email protected]k, fax: +45 5478 3265), . In nice surroundings next to Bangs Have and Sønder Lake. Offers 98 beds in two floors. Guest kitchen, billiards, table-tennis, bob, foosball and children's playroom available. Open 1 Feb-19 Dec. The reception is open 8AM-10AM and 4PM-6PM. Dorms 150 DKK, doubles without bath from 300 DKK (350 DKK in high season). edit
- Ebsens Hotel, Vestergade 32 (in the middle of the main street), ☎ +45 5478 1044 ([email protected]), . Classical hotel with 18 rooms and one larger family room with kitchenette. Restaurant serving well prepared traditional food. Doubles from 595 DKK including breakfast. edit
- Hotel Lolland, Vestre Landevej 110, Nørreballe (6km nortwest of Maribo, 10min by bus 800), ☎ +45 5537 7212 ([email protected], fax: +45 5537 7237), . Small hotel with 12 double rooms. Doubles from 700 DKK. edit
- Hotel Maribo Søpark, Vestergade 29 (in the middle of the main street), ☎ +45 5478 1011 ([email protected], fax: +45 5478 0522), . Hotel with a view of Sønder Lake. Offers 107 rooms, most of which have a balcony. Restaurant and wellness available. Doubles from 1,025 DKK. edit
- Maribo Sø Camping, Bangshavevej 25, ☎ +45 5478 0071 ([email protected], fax: 45 5478 4771), . Camp site in Bangs Have and next to Sønder Lake. Television room, childrens' playground, camping shop, kitchen and bathing facilities. Open 26 Mar–24 Oct. Adults €10, children (0-12 years) €5, caravan €2.75, tent €2.75, electricity €4,30. edit
There are to local newspapers based in Maribo
- Post Office, Banegårdspladsen 2. edit