Mantua (italian: Mantova) is a city in Lombardy, Italy not far from Emilia-Romagna and Veneto.
Because of the power and influence of Gonzaga's family, which used to own the city for over 400 years, Mantua was considered one of the most important cultural cities in the Rennaisance and it still mantains a lot of the landscapes and the building that made it famous during that period.
The nearest airport to Mantua is Valerio Catullo Airport  located near Verona, on the Brennero's Highway, just 25 minutes away from the city.
Other options are Guglielmo Marconi Airport, near Bologna, 1 hour far, and Orio al serio Airport, near Bergamo, reachable in less than 1 hour and half via Highway. All those airports are served by the low-cost company Ryanair.
Local station is served by Trenitalia . The railway line Verona-Modena pass through this station. It is also the end of the line of the trains from Monselice and Cremona. Train service for Milan is available everyday, every two hours and it costs 10,75€. For Verona the frequency is every 40 minutes and the price is 3,15€.
Via Verona you can easly reach cities like Venice, Brescia, Trento, Bolzano and via Modena you can reach Parma, Reggio Emilia, Bologna up to all southern cities.
If you have to reach Bologna quickly, so you don't want to use the railway line Verona-Modena and change the train, a good idea would be catch the train on the Verona-Bologna line using the Nogara station, only 20 minutes car away from the city center of Mantua.
Main bus station is located just outside the Train station. APAM S.p.a. offers many busses that connect the whole province with the city. Brescia, Sirmione, Peschiera, Mirandola are also cities served by this company. To know timetables and fares the easiest way is to use Google Maps which, thanks to a collaboration between Apam and Google, it's very accurate in timetables and routes.
- Palazzo Ducale, Piazza Sordello, 40, . Tu-Su: 8:45AM-7:15PM. This complex is a marvel of medieval and Renaissance architecture and artistry. It was the home of the Gonzaga family from 1328 to 1707, extended through the period, and including more than 500 rooms. € 6,50. edit
- Basilica di Sant'Andrea, piazza L.B. Alberti or piazza Andrea Mantegna. This world famous church (dating from 1472 onwards) is the work of the architect Leon Battista Alberti, one of the founders of Renaissance architecture. edit
- Duomo di Mantova (Mantova Cathedral), Piazza Sordello. The main church in Mantua, with several additions in different architectural styles, from Romanesque, to Renaissance and Baroque. edit
- Palazzo Te, Viale Te, 13, . A splendid palace in the south end of Mantua. Built as a suburban residence, now inserted in a residential area. It is a fine example of the mannerist style of architecture, is the acknowledged masterpiece of architect Giulio Romano. Also known for the International Centre of Art and Culture. edit
- Corte Chiara, Str. Tezze, 1 - 46047 Porto Mantovano (MN) (Just on the outskirts of Mantova to the north (3,5 km)), ☎ +39.0376.390804 ([email protected], fax: +39.0376.390804), . This agritourist camp offers both cheap rooms and camping sites to pitch a tent. Super friendly owners/staff, nice food, horse riding available. From 30€ single room and 60€ double room.. edit
- ABC Hotel, Piazza Don Leoni 25/27, ☎ + 39.0376.322329 ([email protected], fax: +39.0376.310303), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. 58 rooms, 3 stars. Located just in front of the train station. Clean rooms, nice furniture and surprisingly good breakfast. Bicycle renting is available and there is free Wi-Fi. Expect to pay around 15€ for parking. Range. edit
- Albergo Bianchi Stazione, Piazza Don Leoni 24 (10 minutes from city center), ☎ + 39.0376.326465 ([email protected], fax: +39.0376.321504), . 3-star hotel. Tourist information available. Range. edit
- Hotel Italia, Piazza Cavallotti 8, ☎ +39 0376322609 ([email protected]), . checkout: 11. 3 stars. Though it looks a bit ugly from the outside, the rooms are quite OK. An OK breakfast buffet is included in the price. There seems to be a curfew of some kind during the week but the nice nightwatchman might allow exceptions. single €65-100, double €85-155. edit
Hotel Casa Poli, Corso Garibaldi 32, ☎ +39.0376.288170 ([email protected], fax: +39.0376.362766), . Elegant atmosphere, minimalist design and quality services. Expensive. edit