Maniitsoq Harbor in the summer.
Maniitsoq is in Western Greenland.
Maniitsoq is a medium-sized town in Western Greenland with about 2,534 people living on its uneven slopes. The town is situated at the mouth of a fjord, creating steep cliffs and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains that rise up from the fjord system. The town is know for many different adventure activities and therefore attracts adventure tourists from all around the world every year.
Tourists can travel to Maniitsoq by boat or plane. There are flights from the international airport in Kangerlussuaq as well as connection flights from Nuuk and Sisimiut.
You can get around most of Maniitsoq on foot, but the hilly terrain may prove to be strenuous for some travelers. There are also taxis available in the town.
Rooftops in Maniitsoq in the winter.
Whale safaris leaving from Maniitsoq are available from mid-July through the end of autumn. This is the time of year when most whales will be present in the sea near Maniitsoq. There is a good chance of seeing minke, humpback, fin and killer whales on these types of excursions.
The Maniitsoq Museum is a small museum featuring local culture-historical artifacts. It is situated next to the town’s old cemetery.
- Maniitsoq Museum, Illunnguit 11, P.O. Box 318, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 31 00 ([email protected]), . Tu-Th 11-16, Sat 13-16.. The museum grounds include 4 colonial buildings locally referred to as the ginger bread houses. The museum is also situated right next to the cemetery. Free admission. edit
- Maniitsoq Sports Center, Jenseralaap Aqq. 13, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 35 60. edit
The ski season in Maniitsoq is from March to May. The town is surrounded by some of the best skiing spots in the country, both alpine and cross-country. The area surrounding Maniitsoq is the biggest alpine ski area in Western Greenland and it is possible to ski from the top of the mountain all the way down to sea level in the fjord system.
River fishing is possible in the fjord system at the mouths of rivers. Tours can be arranged with local tour operators located in Maniitsoq. The most common type of fish to catch in the region is Char, which can be caught in salt and fresh water depending on the time of year.
The Maniitsoq region is dotted with deep fjords and the largest mountains in Western Greenland. This combination makes hiking in Maniitsoq exceptional and hikers will enjoy spectacular views of the green dale gorges and glaciers on hikes near Maniitsoq.
In Maniitsoq, there are kayaking expeditions for all skill levels of kayakers. The fjord system provides good shelter from winds and amazing inlets to explore. Local tourist offices schedule trips that range from beginner courses to several day expeditions for the most advanced kayakers.
- Major Hunting, Ungusivik 12, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 52 08 41 ([email protected]), . Offers musk ox and caribou game hunting excursions, usually 5 days long. All excursions are accompanied by 2 guides, cook and nurse. There is an outpost in the hunting grounds available for use. Excursions take place by plane or by traveling up river. EUR 4350, extra for more licenses.. edit
- Maniitsoq Adventures Incoming, Eqqaavik 1335, P.O. Box 141, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 38 59/(+299) 81 38 63 ([email protected]), . Offers boat trips, fishing, ski trips, and equipment rentals in Maniitsoq. Also assists with travel to the nearby settlements of Maniitsoq. Varies by tour, boat tours start at DKK895. edit
- Apussiut Adventure Camp (c/o Maniitsoq Adventures Incoming), Eqqaavik 1335, P.O. Box 141, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 38 63 ([email protected]), . Run by Maniitsoq Adventures Incoming, this is an outpost office in the nearby settlement of Apussiut. Offers similar tours and equipment rentals as main office in Maniitsoq. edit
- Kangia Camp (c/o Maniitsoq Adventures Incoming), P.O. Box 172, 3912 Maniitsoq, ☎ (+299) 81 38 59/(+299) 54 04 54 ([email protected]), . Exclusive weekly boat trips are run out of this camp. Tours include most necessities for the journey. DKK360/night. edit
- Greenland Heliskiing, Kangaamiut, 3912 Maniitsoq, ☎ (+41) 79 446 2289 ([email protected]), . All inclusive heliskiing trip to local ski areas. Includes 6 hours of heli time, usually split evenly for the group. EUR 8500. edit
- Restaurant Ruupa, Ivissuit 3, P.O. Box 140, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 35 35 ([email protected]), . Offers traditional or asian cuisine, reservations are required. Usually served buffet style. DKK198/person. edit
- Hotel Maniitsoq Restaurant, Ajoqinnguup Aqqutaa 19, P.O. Box 262, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 30 35 ([email protected]), . Larger restaurant with room for up to 80 people. Views of the Davis Straight. Serves breakfast, lunch and a la carte dinner. edit
- Hotel Heilmann Lyberth, Ivissuit 3, P.O. Box 140, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 35 35 ([email protected]), . checkout: Singe: DKK485, Double: DKK 750. Single and double rooms available at this hotel. Given the option to choose a room without a private bathroom to lower the rate. Prices increase slightly during high season. All room rates include breakfast at the hotel's cafeteria. edit
- Hotel Maniitsoq, Ajoqinnguup Aqqutaa 19, P.O. Box 262, 3912 Maniitsoq, Greenland, ☎ (+299) 81 30 35 ([email protected]), . All room rates include the breakfast buffet. This hotel offers wifi access and views of the glacier. Single: DKK 1300, Double: DKK 1600. edit