Manchester is a town in southern Vermont, nestled at the foot of 3,816-foot Mount Equinox. Its tranquil old-world atmosphere and Manchester Center a shopper's paradise that is completely different from the village with its signs, sights and many shops. Manchester is also home to Hildene, Robert Todd Lincoln's 412-acre summer estate.
Located in the Southwestern part of Vermont about 20 miles north of Bennington and . Located just off Route 7 at the cross sections of Route 11/30 Driving time from Albany, NY is About 1.5 hours, 4 hours from New York City, 3.5 hours from Boston, 4 hours from Montreal and 7 hours from Toronto
Local bus service to Rutland and Bennington.
Closest Airport is Albany International Airport[] in Albany (New York), with service to Canada and throughout the USA. Rutland Vermont Regional Airport  has service daily to Boston on Cape Air 
Driving time to Manchester is 4 hours from New York City, 3.5 hours from Boston and 2 hours from Montreal, Canada.
Closest train station is in Rutland, Vt. (about 30 miles) Amtrak  has daily service to NYC. There is talk of Amtrak coming to Manchester via Albany, NY
Hikers can take the Long Trail..It runs along the main ridge of the Green Mountains, coinciding with the Appalachian Trail  for 100 miles (160 km) in southern Vermont. The Long Trail is within 3 miles of Manchester, just below Bromley Mountain.
Best way to get around is via car, bicycle or on foot.
Taxi service is available by
- Manchester All Hour Airport Car Service 802-362-0052
- Manchester Mini Van 802-262-7039
- Manchester Taxi 802-362-4118
One of the few surviving Abraham Lincoln top hats - Hildene
- Southern Vermont Art Center, West Road, ☎ 802-362-3279, . The mission of the Southern Vermont Arts Center is to make both the visual and performing arts an integral part of the life of our community and region by: - Presenting the finest quality exhibitions and performances; - Providing education and instruction in the arts; - Exhibiting and marketing the work of member artists; - Providing opportunities for community service in promotion of excellence in the arts. With a cafe on premises. edit
- Hildene The Lincoln Family Home, 1005 Hildene Road (off Route 7a), ☎ 802-362-1788, . An historic home, gardens, trails, woods and farm set on 412 preserved acres of quintessential Vermont landscape. edit
- American Fly Fishing Museum, 4104 Main Street, Route 7a (Next to Orvis Flagship Store), ☎ 802-362-3300, . Established in 1968 in Manchester, Vermont, by a group of interested anglers, the American Museum of Fly Fishing was created to preserve and exhibit the treasures of American angling. edit
- Manchester Antique & Classic Car Show, Dorr Farm on Route 30, ☎ 802-733-1632, . Over 500 cars show up each year. The event takes place each year in June. edit
- Manchester Fall Art & Craft Festival, Riley Rink, ☎ 802.425.3399, . 200 juried artisans exhibit and sell a wide range of contemporary and traditional craft work as well as original Art, photography, sculpture, and specialty food products edit
- Dorset Playhouse, Dorset, ☎ 802-867-2223, . Summer. Opened in 1929. Series of plays in an antique style barn. edit
- Bromley Mountain, Route 11, Phone: +1 802 824-5522, E-mail: [email protected], . The only southern facing ski area in Vermont. Summer fun zone featuring an alpine slide and zip line ride and miniature golf.
- Appalachian Trail is a United States National Scenic Trail that runs over 2100 miles through 14 states in the eastern United States, following the Appalachian Mountain Range. In Vermont it is called The Long Trail  is the oldest long-distance trail in the United States. The Long Trail follows the main ridge of the Green Mountains from the Massachusetts-Vermont line to the Canadian border as it crosses Vermont's highest peaks.
- Museum of the Creative Process, River Rd, Wilburton Drive, ☎ 802-379-6350, . Discover the Museum of the Creative Process' extensive collection of contemporary and international art. The Museum is dedicated to research into the science of creativity and hosts regular workshops and retreats. edit
- Orvis Fly Fishing and Shooting Schools- To book a course, call 866-531-6213 or visit 
- Equinox Snow Tours Route 11/30 Phone: +1 802 824-6628  Snowmobile tours in the Green Mountains.
- British School of Falconry, River Road, ☎ 802-362-4780, . the nation's first school of its kind to offer hands-on lessons with trained birds of prey. edit
- Land Rover Experience, At the Equinox Resort, ☎ 802-362-0687, . open year round and features off-road driving instruction in all conditions. Participants experience numerous challenges on the 80-acre purpose-built course, with an extensive trail system for exploration. Here you will learn techniques on ascents, descents, side tilts and rocky terrain. The degree of difficulty is matched to the driver’s skill, and more advanced drivers are invited to explore our expansive trails through the stunning Green Mountains edit
- Mount Equinox Skyline Drive, Route 7a, ☎ 802-362-1115, . spectacular 5.5 mile drive to the summit. edit
- Archery School at the Equinox Resort, at the Equinox Resort, ☎ 802-362-4747, . a rare opportunity for guests to learn this ancient sport under skilled edit
- Golf Club at Equinox, Equinox Resort, ☎ 802-362-7870, . edit
- Riley Rink at Hunter Park, Hunter Park Road, ☎ 802-362-0150, . Southern Vermont's largest indoor facility, is located in the foothills of Vermont's Green Mountains. Riley Rink is a 35,000 square foot multi-purpose facility. During winter months we feature an Olympic size indoor skating rink. In spring, summer and fall, Riley Rink is converted to accommodate indoor sports, trade shows, concerts and a variety of other uses by locals and visitors. edit
- Maple Leaf Half Marathon, Manchester Center, . Every September!!!! The premier half-marathon in beautiful southwestern Vermont provides outstanding race organization, enthusiastic volunteers, and a fun and challenging romp through the gorgeous New England countryside. edit
- Vermont Summer Festival Horse Show, Harold Beebe Farm in Dorset, Vt., . Six Weeks of Top Equestrian Competition in Summer's Most Beautiful Home: The Green Mountains edit
- Koman Race For The Cure, Hildene Meadows in Manchester, ☎ 802-362-2733, . Every July. 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast edit
- Pumpkin Carving Festival, Equinox Valley Nursery, ☎ 802-362-4144, . Activities will include kids games, a craft market, food vendors, fresh cider donuts, wagon rides, costume parade, scavenger hunt, pumpkin cake walk, the Equinox Nursery’s famous corn maze, a special harvest basket raffle and of course Pumpkin Carving Contest. edit
- Manchester Designer Outlets . Kate Spade, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Betsy Johnson, Brooks Brothers, Ben & Jerry;s. Clark's Bostonian, Five Season's,, Coach, Crabtree & Evelyn, Escada, Lily Pulitzer, Giorgio Armani,, Gymboree, Hickey Freeman & Bobby Jones, Not Your Daughter's Jeans, Vineyard Vine, Betsy Johnson, J. Crew, Johnston & Murphy, Jones of NY, Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, Overland, Polo / Ralph Lauren, Cosmetics Company, Theory, Traditions, TSE Cashmere, Tumi, Vermont Bird Place, Yankee Candle and Yves Delorme ,
- Comollo Antiques & Fine Winess, 4686 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-7188, . Brimming with American & European treasures. edit
- Brewster Antiques, 152 Bonnet Street, ☎ 802-282-1579, . Antique/estate jewelry of classic and formal design, 1850's to 1960's. edit
- J.K. Adams, Route 30, ☎ 800-451-6118, . fine Vermont woodworkers. edit
- Manchester Hot Glass, 79 Elm Street, ☎ 802-362-2227. Local artist creating interesting pieces edit
- Orvis Flagship Store, 4189 Route 7a, ☎ 802-362-3750, . Great clothing, hunting supplies and gifts for everyone. edit
- Manchester Consignment Shop, Route 7a (In the same building as Up For Breakfast), ☎ 802-282-2208, . Stop into Manchester's one-of-a-kind consignment boutique. edit
- Designer Outlet Center, Highridge and Battenkill Shopping Center, . Nine West, Gap, Coldwater Creek, Jockey, and Maidenform edit
- Judy McCormick Jewelry, 1933 West Road, ☎ 802-362-3201. Manchester jewelry artist, creates exquisite pieces from her direct imports of gemstones and gorgeous monster pearls. edit
- McWayne Jewelers, 7 Bonnet Street, ☎ 802-362-1257. Manchester's oldest jewelry store. edit
- The Reel Angler, 302 Depot Street, ☎ 802-362-0883. For all of your fishing needs. edit
- Mountain Goat, 4886 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-5159, . locally owned outdoor clothing and gear outfitter. edit
- Wines By George, 345 Center Hill Road, ☎ 802-362-4936, . Southwestern Vermont's only specialty retail wine shop. edit
- Nature's Market, 303 Center Hill Road Manchester Center, ☎ 802-362-0033, . Full service health food store,Knowledgeable staff, Natural and Organic Foods, Organic Produce, Nutritional and Body Care Products edit
- Wildflower's Florist, 4479 Main Street, Manchester Center, ☎ 802-362-3850, . Flowers for all occasions: Weddings, funerals, corporate events, and business openings. edit
- New Mornings Natural Food, 296 Depot Street, ☎ 802-362-3602. Full service health food store. edit
- Northshire Bookstore, 4869 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-2200, . A family-owned, independent bookstore committed to the future of the book, edit
- Two Sister's Furniture, 4676 Main Street, Route 7a, ☎ 802-362-5112, . established a reputation for successfully integrating the charm & beauty of Vermont into the interiors of Green Mountain homes. edit
- Yarns For Your Soul, 605 Depot Street, ☎ 802-362-3151, . Come and see our exquisite yarns from around the world. We offer classes for all levels from beginner to expert. edit
- The Magic Sleigh, 4960 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-2197, . Christmas International presents a wonderful array of traditional, European, and American Christmas collectibles, folk art, carvings, ornaments, pewters, nativities, and santas of all types edit
- Flying Cow Signs, 5073 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-4927, . Crafting imaginative, hand-carved signs in solid wood for homes and businesses. Using century old techniques and time proven methods, we carve each sign in the fine tradition of the New England craftsman. edit
- Long Ago & Far Away, 4963 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-3435, . Native American Art&Jewelry; Native Alaskan&Canadian Inuit Sculpture &Art; edit
- Epoch-18 Vermont Artisans, 4927 Main Street, ☎ 802-768-9711. A cooperative art and craft gallery featuring 18 Vermont artists and artisans working in a variety of disciplines including furniture, jewelry, pottery, glass, photography, sculpture, baskets and wearables edit
- Tilting at Windmills Gallery, 24 Highland Ave, ☎ 802-362-3022, . A broad selection of work by important regional, national, and international artists edit
- Gander Gallery, 4716B Main Street, ☎ 802-768-8396, . dedicated to showcasing the work of established and emerging artists in our region edit
- Vermont Kitchen Supply, 4712 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-0111, . Jam packed with everything you need for your kitchen... edit
- Honora Winery & Vineyard, 3609 Main Street (Adjacent to the Equinox Resort), ☎ 802-368-2233, . Because of the climates in Vermont, Honora is focusing on cold-weather varietal wines. edit
- H. N. Williams Store, 2732 RT 30, Dorset, ☎ 802-362-1679. Founded in 1840 as a Harness Shop, this is a country store that carries just about everything. Deli is open 7 days a week. edit
- The Cheese House, 5187 Vermont Route 7A, Arlington (Just 5 miles south of Manchester), ☎ 802-375-9033, . specializing in Vermont cheeses edit
- Mother Myrick's Confectionary, 4367 Main Street (Across from the Orvis Outlet), ☎ 802-362-1560, . Award winning confectionery, established in 1977, famous tantalizing buttercrunch, intense truffles, & amazing desserts. edit
- Dutton Farm Stand, 2083 Depot Street, ☎ 802-362-3083. The farm stand that's open year round. VT grown produce apples, sweet cider, baked goods, hand made wreaths, Christmas trees. Sugar house open during season. edit
- Bob's Maple Shop, 591 Richville Road, ☎ 802-362-3882. 100% pure, organic maple syrup form Manchester, Vermont. Third generation sugarmaker produces true taste of Vermont syrup. Always fresh and unmatched by others, we sell maple syrup, candy, and maple cream edit
- Heinel's Clothiers, 4964 Main St., ☎ 802-362-1400. Featuring Woolrich, Sorel boots, Johnson's Woolens, Duofold, Hanes, Lee Jeans, Acorn slippers, Wigwam, edit
- Ye Olde Tavern, 5183 Main Street, Route 7a (1/4 mile north of Route 11/30), ☎ (802) 362-0611, . Open daily from 5pm with last seating at 9pm.. A circa 1790 Colonial Inn, which whisks one away to bygone era. Serving Regional and American fare with an "Award Winning" Wine List and listed as 'Best Steakhouse in Vermont" by MSN Business. Ye Olde Tavern has been recognized by the State of Vermont as a 'Green Restaurant'. Reservations are suggested. $16-$32. edit
- Wilburton Inn and Restaurant, River Rd, ☎ 802-362-2500, . Festive and elegant dining in historic billiard room or on our marble veranda overlooking the most amazing views in the region. Featuring local and organic produce grown on our partner farm. Available for special events. edit
- Perfect Wife Restaurant & Tavern, 3594 Depot Avenue, Route 11/30, ☎ 802-362-2817, . Live music and pub fare in the tavern and creative fare in the main dining room. edit
- Sushi Boat, Route 7a (Near Rite Aid Pharmacy), ☎ 802-366-1888. The best sushi in the area, BYOB. edit
- Up For Breakfast, 4935 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-4204. Very creative and fun atmosphere. Only open in the morning. edit
- The Works Bakery and Cafe, Route 11/30, ☎ 802-362-5082, . Everything is prepared to order using natural ingredients. edit
- Gringo's Jack Southwestern Grill, ☎ 802-362-0836, . Very cute place, with diverse southwestern menu. Serving lunch and dinner. Open daily/ edit
- Garlic Johns, Route 11/30, ☎ 802-362-9843. Affordable Italian cuisine edit
- Little Rooster Cafe, Route 7a, ☎ 802-362-3946. Cute "European Style" cafe serving breakfast and lunch. edit
- Chanteclaar Restaurant, Route 7a, ☎ 802-362-1616, . Premiere french fare in southern Vermont. Setting is a cute converted barn. edit
- Mrs. Murphy's Donuts, 374 Route 11/30, ☎ 802-262-1874. Great donuts and breakfast sandwiches. Eat at the counter and get to know the locals. edit
- Zoey's Double Hex Restaurant, Route 11/30, ☎ 802-362-4600, . Good Burgers, open for lunch and dinner. edit
- Mistral's at Tollgate, 10 Tollgate Road, ☎ 802-362-1779. French restaurant sitting next to a beautiful flowing stream. edit
- Gourmet Deli & Cafe, 4961 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-1254, . serves breakfast and lunch daily. edit
- Spiral Press Cafe, 15 Bonnet Street (Adjacent to the Northshire Bookstore), ☎ 802-362-9944, . Great place relax and read a book. Tasty pastries and coffee. edit
- Inn at Manchester, Route 7a, 800 273 1793 or 802 362 1793 ([email protected]), []. A little oasis in the Green Mountains on four park-like acres since the 1940s.
- Equinox Resort and Spa, Route 7a, ☎ (802) 362-4700, . Vermont's Premier Resort, featuring world class golf course and spa. edit
- Wilburton Inn and Restaurant, River Rd, ☎ 802-362-2500, . checkin: 2 pm; checkout: 11 am. Country luxury historic mansion and estate, elegant, creative, and welcoming. Main mansion and six cottages set on sprawling grounds, terraced gardens, organic farm. $170-300. edit
- Inn at Ormsby Hill, 1842 Route 7a, ☎ (802) 362-2841, . Beautifully decorated rooms, with a great breakfast. edit
- Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant, 1739 West Road, ☎ (802) 362-2841, . European style inn. Pretty rooms and refined dining. edit
- Palmer House Resort Motel, 5382 Main Street, Route 7a, ☎ (802) 362-3600, . Very clean rooms and great amenities on the property. edit
- Manchester View Motel, 77 High Meadow Way, ☎ (802) 362-2739, . Nice property with great views of the mountains. edit
- Aspen Motel, 5669 Route 7a, ☎ (802) 362-2450, . Nice clean rooms with a pool on the property. edit
- Weathervane Motel, Route 7a, ☎ (802) 362-2444, . Resort type motel close to Hildene edit
- Olympia Motor Lodge, 7259 Main Street, ☎ 802-362-1700, . After a day outdoors, enjoy relaxing by the roaring fire in our lobby or sit by the pool. edit
- Ira Allen Inn House, 6311 Route 7a, Sunderfland, ☎ 1-877-362-2284, . One of the oldest Inns in Vermont and a state historic site. edit
- Seth Warner Inn, 2352 Route 7a, ☎ 802-362-3830, . Spacious guest rooms feature exposed beams, hand stenciled wall trim and queen size canopy beds with country quilts. Each room has its own distinctive antiques, artwork and a full private bath. edit
- Brittany Motel, Route 7a, ☎ 802-362-1033, . Straight forward lodging with continental breakfast. edit
- Northshire Lodge, 97 Route 7a, Main Street, ☎ 802-362-2336, . Free in-room Wireless Internet. Uniquely built rooms with beautiful mountain views through 8 ft wide sliding glass doors. edit
- Hill Farm Inn A Vermont B&B, 458 Hill Farm Road, ☎ 800-882-2545, . A variety of charming and inviting guest rooms have been created around the heart of a two-hundred-year-old dairy farm. The farm's fields and pastures at the foot of Mt. Equinox provide acres of scenic open space for a picture perfect setting edit
- Casablanca Motel, 5927 Main Street, Route 7a, ☎ 802-363-2145, . Individually themed cozy cottages. edit
- Sutton Place, 50 School Street, ☎ 802-362-1165, . Comfortable and affordable accommodations in the heart of Manchester Center A quaint 1800's Guest House. A short walk to the shops and restaurants. edit
- Stratton Mountain Resort, Off Route 30, ☎ 800-stratton, . Skiing in the winter, golf in the summer and gondalla ride in the fall. edit
- Dorset Theatre Festival, 104 Cheney Road in Dorset, ☎ 802-867-2223, . A fixture of the area for over 30 years. Plays are in a renovated historic barn. edit
- Weston  only 25 minutes from Manchester is charming with its Old Parish Church and Church on the Hill, the village green, the historic museums, stately houses, the famous Vermont Country Store, renowned Weston Playhouse  and Benedictine Priory  are among the many reasons to discover Weston. Thanks to the foresight of Weston’s forefathers and residents, the entire Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Grafton  about 40 minutes from Manchester, one of the prettiest villages in Vermont. Many of its beautiful old buildings have been lovingly restored by its residents and the Windham Foundation, so what you see today looks much like it did years ago.
- Saratoga Springs, New York  is about 45 minutes away. located just south of the Adirondacks in upstate New York. Long a vacation destination for New Yorkers, Saratoga Springs is a pleasant town filled with swanky shops, spas and the famouse[Saratoga Race Track . A key battle in the Revolution War happened nearby. Saratoga Springs is home to Skidmore College
- Dorset Quarry Swimming Hole 1805 Route 30 in Dorset. 1st marble quarry in the USA established in 1785. Now abandoned, taken over by local's for swimming and sunning themselves on the large marble slabs.
- Emerald Lake State Park  Located conveniently between Manchester and Rutland, the park is popular for its wooded hillside campground, beach and swimming area.
- Magic Mountain in Londonderry, Vt.  downhill skiing, snowboarding and tubing terrain, in a classic New England atmosphere.
- Bennington War Monument in Bennington, Vt.  dedicated to the famous Battle of Bennington that took place during the Revolutionary war in 1777, is a 306' stone obelisk opened to the public in 1891. Elevator to the top offers fantastic view.
- Bennington Museum 75 Main Street, Bennington, Vt.  the largest collection of Grandma Moses art and memorabilia available to the public.
- Covered Bridges  There are currently just over 100 authentic covered bridges within state. The closest are in West Arlington, Sunderland, Rutland and Bennington.
- Taylor Farm 825 Route 11, Londonderry, Vt.  Working dairy farm offers tour of cheese making room, seasonal sleigh rides and guest house.
|Routes through Manchester
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!