East end of Mae Nam beach
Mae Nam is known for it's 7 km stretch of beach. The beach has white sand and is lined by coconut trees. The sea is typically calm, however there is a moderate drift and the water is not usually clear. Mae Nam actually means river, 'mae' meaning mother and 'nam' water.
Easy transfer from Bangkok with a 1h direct flight. A songthaew from Chaweng (50 to 100 baht) or Nathon (50 baht) is the cheapest option. Easy to find as the busy ring road stretches through Mae Nam.
Songthaew or hired motorbikes are the usual options.
The sunset from the east end of the beaches are exceptionally pretty.
Chill out on the beach, there's a nearby karting on the main road towards Bophut.
There's a couple of market-shops near the 7-11 in the centre.
- Angela's Bakery, Rt 4169, ☎ +66 77 427 396. 08:00-18:00 (kitchen closes at 17:00). Has been opened for nearly 10 years and is renowned for their delicious bakery products, from handmade Belgian chocolates to wedding cakes to real bread. There is a cafe attached to the bakery with a menu consisting of European favourites (including brown rice for the health conscious) and Angela's own creations. The breakfasts here are great. Update: As of March 2015, this place is now labelled as Angela's Restaurant and it does not provide anything outstanding. The selection of bakery products is also very limited. edit
- Eddy's Modern Food & Drinks, 3/3 Moo 1, Rt 4169, Mae Nam, ☎ +66 77 245 127. The food is great value for money and the place has friendly staff. The menu is full of popular dishes and are all served in very generous proportions. This is a great place to go for a casual meal in comfortable surroundings. edit
- Mister Pu. delightfully named restaurant on east end of Mae Nam. Barbeque meat on your own table. It looks like this place doesn 't exist anymore. All you can eat for 89 baht.. edit
- Oncle Noi. Thai family owned restaurant on the main street. Very good and very cheap food, often full in the early evening. Hard to find, probably closed down. edit
- Snack Stop, (near the 7-11 by the main cross roads). Italian and Thai cuisine, plus a big vegetarian selection. Nobody around knows about this place, it's possible it doesn't exist anymore. edit
- Caffe' e Cucina, (opposite Santiburi Resort on the main road), ☎ 077332126 ([email protected], fax: ""url=""). 12.00-22.30. Delicious italian food in a cozy atmosphere. Also vegetarian and thai food. Open air and smoking area. Good music. Families welcome. affordable. edit
There are a few relaxed beach bars with reclining beach beds. For night life head to Chaweng.
Mae Nam Beach is the perfect place for families and couples looking for intimacy, quiet and beautiful white sand beaches, while enjoying genuine thai lifestyle in the lively town center
- Khwan Beach Resort (Arty Boutique and Gallery resort on the quiet Maenam Beach, Khwan Beach Resort offers luxury art duplex and suite villas with private pools. The perfect getaway for honeymooners and romantic retreats. Units from private pool suite 45sqm to duplex pool villas 100sqm with seaview. Butler service, massages and fine dining in the villas. Enjoy all activities at walking distance. www.khwanbeachresort.com.), 67/61 Moo 1 Maenam Beach, Koh Samui, Suratthani 84330 (opposite soi3 on Maenam Beach, follow the beach way), ☎ +66 62 565 0796 ([email protected]), . checkin: from 14:00 until 19:30; checkout: from 08:00 until 12:00. * <sleep name="Amarin Victoria Resort" alt="" address="12/71 Moo 1, Mae Nam" directions="" phone="" url="" checkin="" checkout="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">Elegant resort in Mae Nam. edit
- Napasai, Mae Nam, ☎ +66 77 429 200, . Extensive beach front site. Choice of individual cottages and private pool villas with 2 or 3 bedrooms. The resort has a spa, tennis courts, fitness centre and fine dining: Lai Thai Restaurant and Beach Restaurant. An Orient-Express Hotel. edit
- Paradise Resort (Nomads), 18/8 Moo 1 Maenam Beach, Koh Samui, Suratthani 84330, ([email protected]), . Backpackers can use the hotel facilities edit
- The Passage Samui Villas & Resort, Kao Laem Yai Beach, Ang Thong (northwest tip of the island, coming from the airport go down the steep hill as you turn south and take a right turn at the bottom of the hill, 200 m down the road), ☎ +66 77 421 721, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. New luxury boutique resort hotel on the northwest tip of Ko Samui. Stunning sunsets, refined beach front dining and designer villas ensure your holiday memories will last forever. Fifty units, from villas to standard rooms. 2,000-20,000 baht. (9.566304,99.92001) edit
- Rainbow Bungalows. At the east end of the beach. Prices from 300 baht for fan rooms to 700 baht for air con. edit
- Mercure Samui Buri Resort, ☎ +66 77 447 275, . Pool villas with personalize service, located on Mae Nam Beach, one of the quietest and private beaches on Ko Samui. edit
- Shangri La Beach Bungalows. At the western corner of Mae Nam. Beach shacks are only metres from the water. Beach has 3 lines of coconut palms, absolutely quiet. Closes down December 1st. Simple fan huts 300 baht.. edit
- Siam-Home (Siam-Home Bungalows), Mae Nam, . 1 or 2 room bungalows with separate kitchen and bathroom, hot water, cable TV. Starting from 5,500 baht per month for a 1-room bungalow and 7,000 baht for a 2-room bungalow. Cheap rates for shorter stays possible. 5.500 baht per month. edit
- Miskawaan Luxury Beachfront Villas, 67/28 Moo 1, T. Maenam, Amphoe Koh Sa-Mui, Surat Thani, Thailand 84330, ☎ +66 7733 2271, . Miskawaan has eight beachfront properties with the beach just a few steps away. The villas occupancy ranges from two to seven bedrooms. edit
- Mantra Samui Resort (www.mantrasamui.com), 9/124 Moo1, Mae Nam Koh Samui 84330, Thailand, ☎ +66 77 951 600, . checkin: 10:00; checkout: 12:00. Mantra Samui Resort is a luxurious holiday resort in Samui Island, Thailand. $100. (9.558179,100.015433) edit
Ao Bang Makham
- Maenam Village Bungalows, 129/2 Moo 1, Mae Nam, ☎ +66 77 425 151. Nice and clean bungalows, 10 m from the sea. They rent out motorbikes for 200 baht per day. Has a restaurant with very lovely and friendly staff. Western toilets. Close to the beach and 10 min walk to Mae Nam "city center" (7-11). It's a place for travellers who want to relax and not buzz around like in Chaweng. If you're looking for some tranquillity, this is where you should go. If you crave action, you can always rent a bike. 350-400 baht. edit