Winter in the Kwena Basin outside Lydenburg
Lydenburg (Place of Suffering) is a small town in Mpumalanga.
- From Johannesburg and Pretoria, follow the N4 via Schoemanskloof and take the R36 to Lydenburg.
- From Sabie, take the R37 over the Longtom pass.
As with most of South Africa it is best to have a hired car.
- Lydenburg Waterfall. Not often visited by tourists as few know about it. Total hight of 244m in 3 separate cascades. edit
There are a number of trout fishing lodges in the area.
- Lydenburg Golf Course, ☎ +27 (0)13 235-3391. edit
- Lydenburg Museum, In Gustav Klingbiel Nature Reserve on the Long Tom Pass, about 3km outside town, ☎ +27 (0)13 323-2121. Local history exhibits and replicas of the Lydenburg Heads (terracotta heads dated to the Iron Age) edit
- Canimambo Portuguese and Mocambican Cuisine, 84 Main Road Dullstroom, ☎ 0878025289, . 9AM-5PM. Family owned and run with authentic style food. The prawns, Espetada and Chacuti are spoken of glowingly. . edit
There is a number of accommodation options available within Lydenburg, but you can also find sleeping place in the surrounding areas if you prefer a more country feeling.
The Kwena Basin, 20 km out of Lydenburg on the R36 towards Bambi offers plenty of accommodation and serves as an excellent stopover on your way to the Kruger Park.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R500
|| R500 to R1000
|| Over R1000
- Spoelklippies, (Kwena Basin), ☎ +27 (0)13 256-9127. A tented camp in the Kwena Basin From R150pp. edit
- Uitspan Caravan Park (49 Viljoen Street), ☎ +27 (0)13 235-2914. Caravan and camping From R10pp. edit
- Longtom Farm Guest House, 33 Sterkspruit, ☎ +27 (0)13 235-2749, . From R750pp (includes dinner and breakfast). edit
- Malapo Country Lodge, (Kwena Basin), ☎ +27 (0)13 235-1056 ([email protected]), . Offers a very interesting Astro Safari. See the skies with their 14 inch telescope and learn about African legends and constellation names. From R750pps. edit
- Valencia Country Lodge, (34km from Lydenburg on the R37), ☎ +27 (0)13 231-7554. edit
- Mount Sheba Hotel, Grootfonteinberg, 561 KT Lydenburg Road (Follow the R36 and R553 towards Pilgrim's Rest), ☎ +27 (0)13 768-1241, . From R707 per person sharing. edit
There are many natural and geographic features within an hour's drive, Sudwala Caves, Echo Caves, Blyde River Canyon, plenty of waterfalls and the Drakensberg Escarpment.