- For other places with the same name, see Lumut (disambiguation).
Lumut is a small town in Perak, on the west coast of Malaysia, almost exactly halfway between Kuala Lumpur and Penang. It is the gateway to the island of Pangkor.
Lumut is a coastal town (population 31,880) in Manjung District, Perak, Malaysia, situated about 84 km from Ipoh, 12 km from the town of Sitiawan and it is the main gateway to Pangkor Island before established Marina Island Pangkor as the second gateway. It is noted for seashell and coral handicrafts. This once little-known fishing town has since become the home base of the Royal Malaysian Navy and the site of the biggest naval shipbuilder in Malaysia, Boustead Naval Shipyard.
Lumut in Malay means moss, lichen, or seaweed. In its early days, the beach was said to be rich in moss, so the local people called it Lumut. Lumut jetty is the staging-off point to offshore islands, including Pangkor Island and Marina Island.
- Kuala Lumpur - very frequent departures (several per hour at peak times) between 07:30 and 01:00 - typical fare 18 ringgit, about 4 hours
- Ipoh - frequent departures (at least one per hour) between 09:00 and 19:00 - typical fare 6.5 ringgit
- Butterworth/Penang - several departures daily - typical fare 19 ringgit, about 5 hours
- Other destinations with direct or semi-direct service (may go via another town, but no change of bus) include: Alor Star, Johor Bahru/Singapore, Kangar, Kelang, Kota Bharu (~30 ringgit), Kuala Perlis, Kuala Terengganu, Kuantan, Malacca, Muar, Seremban, Sungai Petani, Termeloh. For many longer-distance routes, both daytime and overnight services are available.
You can take a taxi or rental car from Kuala Lumpur or Penang (guarded car parks are available if you have your own car).
- Marina Island Pangkor Terminal/Jetty Complex - The first departure from Lumut is at 07:15 a.m, last at 7:15 p.m. From Marina Island, ferries depart regularly to Pangkor Island. Fares are RM 7/ way per persons. Getaway to Pangkor Island with only 10-minutes traveling time by ferry from Marina Island Jetty. Latest ferry schedule is available at https://pangkorferry.com. Ample of parking. Marina Island Jetty Complex is at https://goo.gl/maps/2NACq7CAnhYvybvq5
Ferry eTickets can be purchased online. Buy eTicket, show eTicket at boarding gate and scan to board the ferry. If you need a quick bite, there are eateries inside the jetty complex.
Marina Island Pangkor Carpark Services - You can feel at ease and safe with our carpark services with security patrolling 24 hours, which is located only a stone’s throw away from the ferry terminal/ jetty. The pricing for carpark depends on zoning and starts from RM1.00 per hour. Other zones and during peak seasons, may have different pricing structure of a variety of daily rates, from RM15 per calendar day onward.
From the Lumut pier, ferries depart regularly to different parts of Pangkor Island. Fares are 14 ringgit per person, and 1 ringgit for bicycles. The first departure from Lumut is at 07:00, last at 20:30. The first departure from Pangkor is at 06:30, last at 20:30. Departures are at 30-45 minutes intervals, depending on the time of day, and the crossing usually takes no more than 45 minutes.
Ferries to Medan, Indonesia appear to no longer operate.
- Frenzy Waterpark, Jalan Utama Marina Island, 32200, Negeri Perak, ☎ 016-559 5800, . Challenge Your Endurance - Beat the Obstacles – Race your friends & family – and watch them totally wipe out! edit
- Rockbund Fishing Chalet, Marina Island, KM1, Jalan Utama Marina Island, 32200 Lumut, Negeri Perak, ☎ 016-558 0388, . Fishing while enjoying the sunset with family is the best thing you could ask for. A great moment to remember for a lifetime when you catch a fish and sharing the excitement with your loved ones. edit
There's an abundance of typical Malaysian diners around the Pangkor ferry piers, plus a lone KFC franchise (these are normally paired with a Pizza Hut outlet, but not here).
- Terumbu Restaurant, A wide spread of buffet breakfast and all-day dining services. Specializing in Malay, Chinese dishes and International cuisine. Terumbu Reef Restaurant can fit up to 100 pax indoor and 150 pax outdoor.
- Marina Bay Seafood, Marina Island Jetty Complex, Marina Island Lumut 32200, . edit Beach Sunset Seafood Platter,Ten People, 8 Fresh Authentic Seafood,.Blowing the sea breeze, watching the sunset, And enjoy seafood platter. Ten-person RM420 Pre-order priorities
- D'Pine Cafe, Marina Island, KM1, Jalan Telok Muroh, 32200 Lumut, Negeri Perak, ☎ 016-558 0388, . Located at Rockbund Fishing Chalet in Marina Island, Perak. D'Pine Cafe is a cafe by the sea, offering local & western dining with indoor and outdoor seating. edit
- Nasi Briyani Ayam Madu, No 39,Jalan sultan Idris Shah (directly towards the jetty terminal, 1 min walk from the ferry pier) - conveniently located but famous for nasi briyani ayam madu and must try dishes when you visit Lumut. Fair priced with Malaysian menu
- DJ Lumut Nasi Kandar, Jalan Sultan Idris Shah (same row as KFC, overlooking Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 2 min walk from jetty terminal) - convenient and delicious alternative to the Nasi Briyani Ayam Madu restaurant. Serves typical Malaysian Mamak cuisine and a good nasi briyani tomato and ayam madu. Cheap, delicious and excellent service.
- Era Restaurant, ground floor, 7&9 Jalan Raja Muda Musa (directly opposite the bus station, 2-3 mins. walk from the ferry pier) - conveniently located but other unremarkable except for the fact that it's open 24 hours. Open sided, fairly large, spacious and clean, has an entirely Malaysian menu with all mains priced between 3-4.5 ringgit.
- Capri Restaurant, 4174 Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 32200 Lumut, Perak (Near the KFC), ☎ 05-683 3118. 11:30 am - 11:30 pm. Capri is a western style restaurant with bit of an Italian theme which includes pizza, lasagne, chicken, salmon etc. A good selection of wines, liquors and beers are available. Free wifi. Meals around RM20-30. edit
- Jook Joint Bristo, PT4180 Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, 32200 Lumut, Perak (Near KFC and Capri), ☎ 05-6836202. 11 am to 1 am. Western & Malaysian Cuisines including wine, beers and cocktails. Free wifi. RM20-30. edit
- Jook Joint Bar, Jalan Titi Panjang (Ground level of Lumut Waterfront Villa). 7 pm-late, Sunday closed. Bar with some pool tables. RM11 for small beer. edit
- Hightime Bistro Marina Island, Marina Island Jetty Complex 1, KM1, Teluk Muroh,, 32200 Lumut, Perak, ☎ 012-570 8855, . edit
There are a few budget Chinese hotels on Jalan Titi Panjang.
- Hotel Era, 1st floor, 7&9 Jalan Raja Muda Musa, ☎ 05-6838910. has a very convenient location - it's directly opposite the bus station, and 2-3 minutes walk from the Pangkor ferry jetty. Prices are on the high side - 25 ringgit for a single person fan room with shared bathroom, and 60 ringgit for an air-con double with private bathroom. For 35 ringgit you get a room with two very small (shorter than normal) and very saggy beds with no blanket or top sheet, a fan, and a hole in the ceiling. Not recommended for light sleepers - the curtains are tissue thin and flashing "Christmas-tree" lights are hung outside, plus it's very noisy - as well as the busy main road traffic, there are two TVs in the ground floor restaurant (which is open 24 hours) and another in the hotel lobby, and the local mosque has loudspeakers just along the street which issue loud and lengthy calls to prayer. The shared bathrooms (only two - one male, one female - so expect queues) are grubby but serviceable, with western toilets and cold showers. edit
- Virgo Batik Resort, Persiaran Teluk Batik, Teluk Batik, 32200, ☎ 05-6836334, . Offers 89 accommodation rooms, all of which have air-condition, cable television, mini-bar, and private toilet and bath. Some of its amenities include restaurant, ballroom, laundry service, and wake-up call. Best rates on official website start at MYR 120. edit
- NZED GuestRoom, Lumut, 9, Taman Indah Raya, 32200 Lumut, Perak, ☎ 012-5067575, . - Budget Hotel or Homestay Style Rooms & Suite in Lumut, Perak (Malaysia). Best rates on official website start at MYR 62. edit
There are about a dozen mid-range hotels within a few minutes walk of the Pangkor ferry jetty, most with rates starting around 100-175 ringgit for air-con double rooms.
- Lumut Valley Resort Condominium (LVRC) Lumut Valley Resort offers clean, secure, comfortable, affordable and yet flexible accommodation to travellers, either on business or vacations; and/or expatriates working in the vicinity of Lumut, Sitiawan, and Manjung District. Sixty-two (62) units of air-conditioned furnished service apartments are available for rental either on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis depending on your needs.
- The Orient Star Resort Lumut, Lot 203 & 366, Jlan Iskandar Shah, 32200 Lumut, Perak Darul Ridzuan, ☎ (605) 683 3800, . There are 150 rooms consisting of 4 VIP Suites, 6 Junior Suites, 8 Super Deluxe rooms, 66 Deluxe rooms and 66 Superior Rooms. All rooms have views to the sea. Free wifi. Starting from RM150. edit
- Swiss-Garden Golf Resort & Spa Damai Laut, Hala Damai 2, Jalan Damai Laut, Off Jalan Teluk Senangin, 32200 Lumut, Perak Darul Ridzuan (Off Jalan Teluk Senangin about 20 km from Lumut), ☎ 605-685 9333 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1500; checkout: 1200. Secluded setting with plenty of facilities including a golf course. Wifi available for about RM 30 for 24 hours. Deluxe Garden View RM 230 to Damai Suite RM 1750. edit
- Marina Island Pangkor Resort & Hotel, Jalan Utama Marina Island, Jalan Telok Muroh, 32200 Lumut, Negeri Perak, ☎ 05-683 2881, . edit
- De Villa - Lot 3A, Lumut Waterfront Villa, Jalan Titi Panjang, tel:05-6835585 fax: 05-6804800 [email protected]  open Mon-Sat 10:00-midnight, Sun+hols noon-midnight. Internet access 3 ringgit/hour.
- Fiqah Internet Cafe - NO 47 B, Jalan Sultan Idris Shah, Lumut, tel:05-6834046 open Mon-Sun 9:00 morning -midnight. Internet access RM 2.50 /hour. (this is the only Internet cafe available in Lumut)
Shops #5 (open 08:00-19:00) & #6 (open 10:00-21:00) at the bus station charge 1 ringgit/item/day.
Klinik Pergigian Ting (Dr. Celine Ting BDS), No. 9, Taman Sitiawan Maju II, Jalan Lumut, 32000 Sitiawan, Perak (On the same side and near The Store), ☎ 05-6928266. Mon-Sat 9am-1pm; 2pm-6pm. edit