Loudoun County  in the state of Virginia is one of the fastest growing counties in the United States, yet it still offers lots of charm to those who visit. Many visitors touch down in the Dulles International Airport.
- Ashburn — the county's largest town, in the heart of the Dulles Technology Corridor, which brags to carry more than half of all traffic on the internets.
- Bluemont — right in wine country, with one of Northern Virginia's most popular wineries.
- Leesburg — the county seat, and location of the ever popular Leesburg Corner Outlets mall.
- Middleburg — a favorite country escape for Washingtonians, and the center of Northern Virginia's horse country.
- Sterling — home to Dulles International Airport and the National Air and Space Museum Udvar Hazy Center Annex.
- Waterford — the historic center is a pretty National Historic Landmark.
English is spoken by the vast majority, however, in Eastern Loudoun, the influx of immigrants has led to the increased use of languages such as Spanish and Korean.
Loudoun County is in Northern Virginia, just 35 miles west of Washington, D.C. in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It borders both West Virginia and Maryland. Home to two international airports, Loudoun is easy to get to from all parts of the globe. It is also accessible via numerous Interstate Highways and US Highways.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), 703-572-2700, . Located in eastern Loudoun County, Washington Dulles International Airport offers a full range of domestic and international flights. Many Loudoun hotels offer free shuttle service to/from Dulles Airport.
- Leesburg Executive Airport, 1001 Sycolin Rd, SE, 703-737-7125, . Leesburg Executive Airport is a modern general aviation airport that serves a variety of aircraft including corporate jets. Individuals and groups can charter jet aircraft for domestic and international destinations. Comprehensive services offered. Adjacent to the Dulles Greenway Toll Road (Rte 267).
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), Arlington, 703-417-8000, www.metwashairports.com]. Located approximately 40 miles from Loudoun, just outside Washington, DC, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport offers a full range of domestic flights on major, regional, and commuter carriers.
- Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI), Baltimore, MD, 800-435-9294, [http:/lwww.bwiairport.com].
All directions lead you to Leesburg, the county seat and largest town in the county. To get directions to your specific destination within Loudoun County, you may use Google Maps.
From the East
From the Capital Beltway around Washington, DC (I-495), take Rte 7 (local business route) west or the Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267 - highway; toll) west toward Dulles Airport using the "local lanes." Do not take the airport access road. From the Dulles Toll Road, continue on the Dulles Greenway (extension of Rte 267 - highway; toll) or take Rte 28 north to Rte 7 west (local business route).
From the South
Take I-95 north to the Capital Beltway (I-495) north toward Tysons Corner to the Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267 - highway; toll) west. Do not take the airport access road. Continue on the Dulles Greenway (extension of Rte 267 - highway; toll) or take Rte 28 north to Rte 7 west (local business route). Or, take I-81 north to Rte 7 east.
From the North
Take I-95 south to the Capital Beltway (I-495) west to the Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267 - highway; toll) west toward Dulles Airport using the "local lanes." Do not take the airport access road. Continue on the Dulles Greenway (extension of Rte 267 - highway; toll) or take Rte 28 north to Rte 7 west (local business route). Or from Baltimore, Maryland, take I-70 west to Frederick, Maryland and take Rte 15 south.
From the West
Take I-66 east to Rte 15 north, or from I-81 take Rte 7 east.
Public transportation is somewhat limited in the county. Virginia Regional Transit Authority operates bus service in Loudoun:
The Visitors Center in Leesburg is a good source for maps of the county and it's towns & villages.
- Historic Morven Park in Leesburg. This 1,000-acre estate, home of World War I-era Virginia Governor Westmoreland Davis, includes history spanning over 200 years. Tours change frequently, highlighting the Confederate camp located here during the Civil War, Davis’ contributions during World War I, the 19th century Winmill Carriage Collection of horse-drawn carriages, and Marguerite Davis’ boxwood gardens.
- Oatlands Plantation, near Leesburg, a National Trust site, encompasses 360 acres in scenic easements and features a Greek Revival mansion, circa 1804, rare 19th century brick dependencies including America's oldest restored propagation greenhouse, circa 1810, and a magnificent four acre English terraced garden.
- George C. Marshall International Center at Dodona Manor in Leesburg offers tours of the restored former home of General George C. Marshall, Architect of Allied Victory for World War II, Special Ambassador to China, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, and Nobel Peace Laureate. Ninety percent of the furnishings and memorabilia are original to the Marshall period of residency, from 1941-1959.
- Loudoun County's wine country is now home to thirty wineries and tasting rooms, featuring rolling hillsides dotted with vines and unique tasting rooms located in historic barns, Mediterranean-like villas, and caves. The best way to experience Loudoun's wine country is along the Wine Trail. Pick up a copy of the brochure at the Loudoun County Visitors Center and spend a day or more traveling along scenic byways as you visit each winery. Look for the grape cluster signs along the roadways to assist you on your wine tour.
- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, in Chantilly America's newest air and space museum is a 760,000 square foot hangar facility with over 125 military and commercial aircraft and 130 major space artifacts on display for the first time in a museum setting. The collection includes the Space Shuttle "Enterprise," an SR-71, the Dash 80 prototype of the Boeing 707, the B-29 Superfortress "Enola Gay," and the de Havilland Chipmunk aerobatic plane, to name a few.
- Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets in Leesburg This outdoor village-like setting makes shopping easy, convenient, and an experience in itself. The center includes stores such as Barneys New York Outlet, Burberry, Coach, J.Crew, Juicy Couture, Kate Spade, Pottery Barn Outlet, Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th, Williams-Sonoma Outlet, and many more.
- The Goodstone Inn & Estate, 36025 Snake Hill Rd, ☎ 540-687-4645, . Drawing inspiration and purpose from its location on farmland in Middleburg, VA, the restaurant at Goodstone Inn & Estate seeks to provide its guests with an unparalleled dining experience. Executive Chef William Walden brings years of experience and expertise to the Goodstone Inn. He has a refined approach to French cuisine keeping to traditional and classical preparations. $$$. edit
- Magnolias at the Mill, 198 N 21st St, Purcellville, VA 20132, ☎ 540 338 9800, . Mon-Thu 11am-11pm, Fri-Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-9pm. Great food, wine and beer are our focus. Hospitality is our passion. A Premier American restaurant located in the heart of Purcellville, Virginia. Come Visit Magnolias. FREE parking is available.Our patio is dog friendly! edit
- Market Salamander, 200 W Washington St, Middleburg, VA 20117, ☎ 540-687-8011, . Mon-Sun 7:30am-6:00pm. Market Salamander is a true working chef’s market. From a relaxing meal at our inviting café to gourmet sandwiches to go or full-service catering and a custom cake for your next event, we invite you to discover a feast for the senses at Market Salamander. edit
- Restaurant at Patowmack Farm, 42461 Lovettsville Road, Lovettsville, Virginia 20180, ☎ 540-822-9017, . Thu-Sat 5:30-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 11am-2pm Brunch. From our farm to your table, we offer our guests a rare experience: a distinctive atmosphere, local, organic cuisine and a seat with a view of the Potomac River. Whether choosing our a la carte or prix fixe menu on Friday or Saturday, a casual value-oriented $45.00 three-course prix fixe menu on Thursday nights or Saturday or Sunday brunch, the constantly evolving menu and innovative cuisine serves inspired, sophisticated food that will nourish your soul and excite your palate.Reservations required. edit
- Tuscarora Mill, 203 Harrison St, Leesburg, VA 20175 (Located at the front of Market Station on Harrison Street.), ☎ 703-771-9300, . Mon-Thu 11am-11pm, Fri-Sat 11am-12am, Sun 11am-9pm. uscarora Mill is an independent, locally owned restaurant, cafe, bar, and bakery in Leesburg Virginia. We opened in 1985 with a commitment to deliver great food and service to our community. We are a major supporter of the buy local movement and through the year our menu boasts the products of several dozen local growers, cheese makers, wineries and farmers and livestock producers. In addition to our fine food and spirits, we offer unique, individually styled banquets, catering, wedding receptions, and special events. edit
- The Wine Kitchen, 7 S King St, Leesburg, VA 20175, . 703-777-9463. At the Wine Kitchen we operate under the central idea of “Eat, Drink, Simply.” Wine and food are at the root, simple pleasures and should be enjoyed among friends and family over the sound of happy voices and hearty laughter. We think both wine and food are best when presented in their purest form. We serve our wine and food without pomp or circumstance, just artfully prepared and presented with care. Tue-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm, Sun 11:30am-9:00pm. edit
- The Red Fox Inn, 2 E Washington St, Middleburg, VA 20117, ☎ 540-786-6301, . Open daily; see website for hours.. Hearty breakfasts, casual lunches and elegant candlelight dinners await you in the Red Fox Inn's cozy dining rooms which display original stone fireplaces and hand-hewn ceiling beams over thick fieldstone walls. Our culinary team prepares seasonal menus which feature many local ingredients sourced from farms in the area. The Inn's wine list includes a vast selection of both domestic and imported vintages and showcases many wines from local vineyards. Join us today for a bowl of our famous Virginia Peanut Soup or our signature Red Fox Crab Cakes! edit
- Grandale Farm Restaurant, 14001 Harpers Ferry Road, Neersville, VA 20132, ☎ 540-668-6000, . Wed-Thu 5-9pm, Fri-Sun 12-4pm and 5-9pm. Grandale Farm Restaurant is located on a Historic Operating Farm in Loudoun County, Virginia, USA. Every item served on or off site is prepared from scratch using the highest quality ingredients, sourced locally wherever possible. As you drive down the lane towards the Manor House you are greeted by a beautiful pond covered with many different aquatic plants and wonderful wildlife. A proud supporter of our neighboring musicians, farms and wineries, Grandale Farm boasts the widest selection of Loudoun County wines of any restaurant. In addition to special wine tastings, we host a wide variety of local talent, from musicians to dinner theater. Check our calendar for a full listing of upcoming events. edit
|This is a usable article. It gives a good overview of the region, its sights, and how to get in, as well as links to the main destinations, whose articles are similarly well developed. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!