This article is a travel topic
For the more active traveller, Europe provides excellent opportunities for long distance walking, where you can follow long-distance walking trails and take in some of Europe's finest scenery, while getting fit at the same time. Whether going on a trans-continental odyssey or a leisurely weekend stroll, you will find a trail to suit you. There are eleven continental trails in Europe, which are in varying stages of completion. These paths are comprised of smaller national paths, which may be enjoyable travel experiences of themselves. It's recommended that you read up on help and advice before setting off on a long distance walking holiday. You will have a fantastic time, but always be prepared for the worst, and take the best kit with you that you can find.
The long-distance routes are as follows;
- Completed sections: Central Sweden to Scapoli, Italy, via Gothenburg, Aarhus, Hamburg, Frankfurt, the Black Forest and the Apennines.
- Current length: 4900 km.
- Completed sections: Stranraer, Scotland to Nice, via England, Luxembourg and the Alps.
- Current length: 4850 km.
- Completed sections: Cape Emine, Bulgaria to Kom, Bulgaria (near Serbian border); Ártánd, on Hungarian border to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, via western Carpathians, Rheingau, Ardennes, Paris and the Pyrennees.
- Current length: 6950 km.
- Completed sections: Tarifa, Spain to Kato Zakros, Greece via Carcassonne, Grenoble, Bavaria, Vienna, Budapest and Bulgaria.
- Current length: 10450 km.
- Complete sections: Complete.
- Completed length: 3050 km.
- Completed sections: Stockholm to Malmo; Korsor, Denmark to Koper, Slovenia; Igoumenitsa, Greece to Alexandropouli.
- Current length: 5200 km.
- Completed sections: Monfortinho, Portugal to Piacenza, Italy; Robic, Italy to Nagylak, Romania.
- Current length: 4330 km.
- Completed sections: Dursey Head - Beskid Pass on the Poland/Ukraine border via Dublin, England, Aachen, Bonn, Rhine Valley,Vienna and Bratislava. Mezek, Bulgaria to Svilengrad on the Bulgaria/Turkey border.
- Current length: 4390 km.
- Completed sections: Roscoff, France to Braniewo on the Poland/Kaliningrad border via Brest, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Calais, Ostend, Rotterdam, Hamburg and Gdansk.
- Completed sections: Rostock, Germany to Bozen, Italy via Prague and Salzburg.
- Current length: 2880 km.
- Completed sections: The Hague - the Poland/Belarus border via Osnabruck, Potsdam, Frankfurt an der Oder, Poznan and Torun.
- Current length: 2070 km.