Wimbledon is a district in south-west London.
Wimbledon is a well-known and affluent suburb in the southwest of London, England and is part of the London Borough of Merton . It is, of course, best known for the All England Lawn Tennis Championships (or often just referred to as Wimbledon) held every summer and which form part of the worldwide tennis grand slam series. This is the oldest tennis championship in the entire world.
Centre Court at Wimbledon
Wimbledon is serviced by the following stations:
- Wimbledon (District line). During the Tennis Championships, direct buses run from outside for a small charge.
- South Wimbledon (Northern line).
- Southfields (District line). This is the most convenient station for the tennis club.
Please note that the quickest route into Wimbledon from central London is usually via a combination of Tube and the National Rail. Though the District Line is the most obvious choice from central London, it is usually the least efficient. Trains depart every 3-5 minutes from Waterloo to Wimbledon during week days with a journey time of about 15 minutes (South West Trains operates this service.)
Wimbledon Station is the most important transport hub in the area. Located in central Wimbledon, it is well served by South Western Railway  and First Capital Connect  train companies.
Services run from London Waterloo via Clapham Junction to Wimbledon Station (about 15 min). Trains from Wimbledon go to Guildford, Hampton Court, Dorking, Shepperton and Woking. Change at Clapham Junction to get to Brighton, Epsom, Gatwick, Reading, Portsmouth and further afield.
Wimbledon Station has two entrances, one at the front of the station serving as a drop off point for cars and a taxi stop and one to the side that leads to buses and a shopping mall. Disabled access to the 10 platforms are by lifts. Public toilets can be found near the tube District Line platforms. There are food and drink shops within the station complex.
Wimbledon is almost equidistant between the two major London Airports, Gatwick Airport and Heathrow Airport.
The quickest way from Gatwick is to catch a fast  Southern train for Victoria and get off at Clapham Junction. Here, change onto a South West Trains service south bound to Wimbledon (weekdays: 15 an hour).
From Heathrow, you can either catch the London Underground Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Earls Court and change onto the District Line to Wimbledon, or you can catch the Heathrow Express (or Heathrow Connect) service to London Paddington Station and then catch a Wimbledon bound District line train from there. Both of these require luggage movement through underground stations.
Wimbledon is served by the Wimbledon to Croydon tramlink which terminates at Wimbledon Station (routes 3 and 4), other tram stops in the area include Dundonald Road and Merton Park. A route map can be found here .
The A219 runs through Wimbledon Hill Road, Wimbledon Bridge to the Broadway and beyond. The A3 is the main route to Wimbledon when coming in from the M25 Motorway or Heathrow Airport. From Gatwick Airport follow the M23/M25/A217. The nearest petrol station is an Esso Garage with a Tesco Metro (Open 24 hours) found along the Broadway towards South Wimbledon underground station.
Wimbledon is mostly pedestrian friendly and most places can be easily reached on foot. Buses leave outside the Centre Court Shopping Mall next to Wimbledon station. The main bus station is near Hartfield Rd on Sir Cyril Black Way (behind Morrisons supermarket and the car park on Hartfield Rd). Additionally, there is a taxi stand outside the main entrance to Wimbledon Station.
Wimbledon is served by local bus routes including routes 57 Kingston/Clapham Park), 93 (Putney Bridge/North Cheam), 131 (Kingston/Tooting Broadway), 156 (Vauxhall), 163 (Morden), 164 (Sutton), 200 (Raynes Park/Mitcham), 219 (Clapham Junction), 493 (Richmond/Tooting) and N87 Night Bus (Aldwych/Kingston). A bus map of Wimbledon (PDF) can be found here .
Parking available at Centre Court Shopping Mall. Off-street parking is normally made available by home owners looking to make some additional income from the rental of their driveways and garages. Prices are normally in the region of £30-50. Alternatively, you can try renting one of these private parking spaces online through various services.
- Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum, Centre Court, All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Church Rd, . 10:30AM-5PM, closed 24-26 Dec, 1 Jan, middle Su and first M after the Championships. £12, concessions £10, children under 16 £7, children under 5 free, tours available with additional fee edit
The windmill on Wimbledon Common.
- Wimbledon Common, ☎ +44 20 8788 7655 ([email protected]), . 24 hrs. A large area (460 hectares) of woodlands, open grass areas and healthland with a windmill, nature trails and ponds. Free. edit
- Wimbledon Society Museum of Local History, 22 Ridgway, Wimbledon, ☎ +44 20 8296 9914. Sa Su 2:30PM-5PM, by appointment at other times. Showing local history in Wimbledon from the Stone Age to the present day. Free. edit
- Wimbledon Windmill Museum, (On Wimbledon Common), . End Mar-end Oct Sa 2PM-5PM, Su 11AM-5PM. A museum which depicts the history of windmills. £1, children £0.50, concessions £0.50. edit
- Buddhapadipa Temple (address=""), 14 Calonne Rd, . Temple ground: M-F 9AM-6PM, main temple: weekends. The first Buddhist temple in the UK. edit
- Cannizaro Park, (West side of Wimbledon Common, next to the Cannizaro House Hotel), . 34 acres of parkland. edit
Each June the All England Lawn Tennis Championships  are organized, one of the four "Grand Slams" for professional tennis.
Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club has been chosen to host the tennis matches for the 2012 Olympic Games from Thursday 2 August – Saturday 11 August, 2012. 172 athletes will compete for 4 gold medals in tennis .
- New Wimbledon Theatre, The Broadway, ☎ 0870 060 6646, . The theatre is a Grade II Listed Edwardian theatre showing West End plays and musicals. edit
- Odeon Cinema, Odeon Wimbledon, The Piazza, The Broadway, . 0871 22 44 007. A large modern multiplex in Central Wimbledon with 12 screens and IMAX screen. edit
- Polka Theatre, 240 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8543 4888, . Telephone bookings: M 9:30AM-4:30PM, Tu-F 9:30AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-5PM; box office opening hours: Tu-F 9:30AM-4:30PM, Sa 11AM-5:30PM. Childrens theatre. edit
- Ridgway Stables, 93 Ridgway, ☎ +44 20 8946 7400, . Tu-Su 9AM-5:30PM. Lessons and horse riding on Wimbledon Common. edit
- Wimbledon Village Stables, 24 a/b High St, ☎ +44 20 8946 8579, . Lessons and horse riding on Wimbledon Common. edit
- It is possible to still see the dying-out pastimes of speedway, banger racing and dog-racing at Wimbledon Stadium, one of the few-remaining dog-track arenas of its kind in London (which once had 23), along with at Walthamstow and Crayford. The football team AFC Wimbledon plays further west nowadays in a ground-share at Kingstonians, in Berrylands (after the original 'Crazy gang' was forcibily relocated to Milton Keynes by the then-owner for commercial reasons).
Shops are to be found along the Broadway towards South Wimbledon and along Wimbledon Hill towards Wimbledon Village and and in Wimbledon Village itself.
- Centre Court Shopping, (In Central Wimbledon next to the station), ☎ +44 20 8944 8323, . M-W F 9.30AM-7PM Sa 9AM-6PM, Th 9.30AM-8PM, Su 11AM-5PM. Shopping mall with two floors of shops. Includes shops such as Body Shop, Boots, Debenhams, Gap, H&M, Kew, La Senza, Monsoon, River Island, Sony and Warehouse. There are food outlets on the third floor and a cafe on the ground floor. edit
- The Fish Peddlar, 40 Replingham Rd (tube: Southfields), ☎ +44 20 8871 4411 ([email protected]), . M-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-4PM. Southfields' fishmonger. Stock can be a bit sparse early in the week, but from Thursday onwards there is usually a decent amount on offer. Orders can be placed in advance. edit
- Supermarkets. Include Morrisons (The Broadway), M&S (Centre Court), Sainsburys (Worple Rd and The Broadway towards South Wimbledon), Tesco Metro (Centre Court, South Wimbledon & Wimbledon Village) and Waitrose (near Wimbledon Bridge). edit
- Elys is a Department store just off the High Street and a few minutes' walk from the Tube & Rail station.
- Ahmed, 2 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8946 6214. Indian. edit
- Alforno Restaurant, 2a Kings Rd, ☎ +44 20 8540 5710. Italian. edit
- Aya, 195 – 197 Merton Road, ☎ +44 20 8417 0606, . Lebanese Food, courtyard garden Medium. edit
- Broadway Tandoori, 250 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8542 7697. Indian. edit
- Cafe Rouge, 26 High St, ☎ +44 20 8944 5131. French. edit
- Chutneys, 31a Hartfield Road, ☎ +44 20 8540 9788. Indian. edit
- Confucious, 271-273 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8542 5272. Chinese. edit
- La Dolce Vita, 397 Durnsford Rd, ☎ +44 20 8947 6890. Italian. edit
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen, 88 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8540 3300, . Great burger restaurant. edit
- CAU Wimbledon, 33 High St, ☎ +44 20 8605 9091, . Argentinian restaurant. edit
- The Lambourne, 263 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8545 8661, . Part of the Antoinette Hotel. Sky sports, happy hour. Medium. edit
- Makiyaki, 149 Merton Rd, ☎ +44 20 8540 3113, . Good Japanese food. edit
- Mai Thai, 75 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8542 8834, . edit
- Nandos, 1B Russell Rd, ☎ +44 20 8545 0909, . Peri-Peri Chicken. $$. edit
- La Nonna, 213-217 The Broadway (+44 20 8542 3060), . Italian. edit
- Slurp, 138 Merton Road, ☎ +44 20 8540 7918. Good Chinese and Japanese noodle bar, great value. Try the bento box. edit
- Thai Tho Restaurant, 20 High St, ☎ +44 20 8946 1542. Thai. edit
- The Stage Door, 90-92 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8543 8128, . edit
- Wagamama, 46-48 Wimbledon Hill Road, ☎ +44 20 8879 7280, . Japanese chain. edit
- Wimbledon Palace, 88 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8540 4505. Chinese. edit
- The Alexandra, 33 Wimbledon Hill Rd, ☎ +44 20 8947 7691, . Large pub with a wine bar next to the main pub called Smart Alex. Food served. Roof terrace with bar. edit
- All Bar One, 37 Wimbledon Hill Rd, ☎ +44 20 8971 9871. Food Served. edit
- Bertie's Bar, 2 Hartfield Way, ☎ +44 20 8879 7537. A wine bar below the Prince of Wales Pub. Seating outside. Food served. edit
- Crooked Billet, 14 Crooked Billet, ☎ +44 20 8946 4942, . A Youngs pub, food served. edit
- Dog & Fox, 24 High St, ☎ +44 20 8946 6565, . Large pub in the centre of the Wimbledon village. Food served, lots of seating outside. edit
- Fox & Grapes, Camp Rd, Wimbledon Common, ☎ +44 20 8946 5599. Food served. edit
- The Grid Inn, 22 Replingham Rd (tube: Southfields), ☎ +44 20 8874 8460. A slightly down-at-heel traditional pub. edit
- Hideaway, 175 Kingston Rd, ☎ +44 20 8544 9451, . Food served, good Sunday lunch served. edit
- Kilkenny Tavern, 131 Merton High St, South Wimbledon (next to South Wimbledon tube station). +44 20 8543 7308. edit
- O'Neills, 66 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8545 9931. Food served. edit
- The Old Garage, 20 Replingham Road (tube: Southfields), ☎ +44 20 8874 9370. Larger, cleaner and more modern than The Grid. edit
- Rose and Crown, 55 High St, ☎ +44 20 8947 4713 (fax: +44 20 8947 4994). Food served, seating outside. edit
- Suburban Bar and Lounge, 27 Hartfield Rd, ☎ +44 20 8543 9788, . Cocktail bar for chavs, run by chavs! edit
- Sultan, 78 Norman Rd, ☎ +44 20 8542 4532. Decent local pub serving very good real ale. The only pub in London owned by the Hopback Brewery. Walled garden. Bar Food served. BBQ on sundays weather permitting. "No loud music/TV policy" for those who want a quiet pint. edit
- SWnineteen Bar, 4-5 High St, ☎ +44 20 8879 7020. edit
- The Prince of Wales, 2 Hartfield Rd, ☎ +44 20 8946 5369. Serves food, owned by Punch taverns. edit
- The Slug, Hartfield Rd, ☎ +44 20 8947 1791, . Sports orientated bar. Food served with seating outside. edit
- The Terrace, Above Centre Court Shopping Centre, Queens Rd, ☎ +44 20 8944 9970, . Terrace overlooking central Wimbledon. Serves food. edit
- Walkabout, 74-78 The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8543 8624, . Food served in this sports bar. edit
- Watershed, 267 Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8540 0080, . Club with live music and comedy evenings on Saturdays. edit
- White Hart, 144 Kingston Rd (Near the Merton Park tram stop). Thai Food Served. Seating outside. Parking. edit
- The Wibbas Down Inn (JD Wetherspoon pub), 6-12 Gladstone Rd, ☎ +44 20 8540 6788. Food Served. Some seating outside - now nearly completely taken up by smokers. edit
- Antoinette Hotel, The Broadway, ☎ +44 20 8543 4222, . A 50 bedroom hotel, under new management and recently refurbished. edit
- Cannizaro House, West Side, Wimbledon Common, ☎ +44 20 8879 1464 (fax: +44 20 8879 7338), . A beautiful hotel overlooking Cannizaro Park to the rear and Wimbledon Common to the front. Excellent dining. edit
- Justin James Hotel, 43 Worple Road, ☎ +44 20 947 4271 (fax: +44 20 8296 6715), . edit
- The Phoenix, 123-125 Merton Road, ☎ +44 20 8542 0826, . edit
- The Wimbledon Hotel, 78 Worple Rd, ☎ +44 20 8946 9265 (fax: +44 20 8946 1581), . Small family run hotel. edit
- Worcester House Hotel, 38 Alwyne Road, ☎ +44 20 8946 1300 (fax: +44 20 8946 9120), . Small family run hotel. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!