East London is the outer eastern part of London, north of the River Thames.
Many outer areas of East London were once part of the county of Essex. Essex is sometimes used as part of the postal address for these areas.
East London consists of the following boroughs:
- Barking and Dagenham  — the borough includes:
- Havering  — the borough includes:
- Newham  — the borough includes:
- Stratford - Location of the London 2012 Olympic Games. (Note: this is not Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire, the birthplace of Shakespeare.)
- East Ham
- West Ham
- Redbridge  — the borough includes:
- Waltham Forest  — the borough includes:
- Walthamstow - This town was made famous by a teen pop band called E-17 (the postcode of the area) who came from here and had a number of hits. Soak up the multicultural atmosphere.
- Leytonstone - Birthplace of filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock and home to many great pubs, restaurants, charity shops and parks.
- Victoria Line (Light Blue) to Walthamstow.
- Central Line (Red) to Stratford, Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford or Hainault.
- Hammersmith and City Line (Pink) to Barking.
- District Line (Green) to Upminster.
- Jubilee Line (Silver) to Stratford
- Overground (Orange) to Stratford. Also to Walthamstow Queens Road, Leyton Midland Road, Leytonstone High Road and Barking.
- DLR to Canning Town then branches to Beckton, or London City Airport and Woolwich.
- From Liverpool Street to Chingford or Ilford, Romford and Upminster.
- From Fenchurch Street to Barking then Upminster or Rainham.
- From Stansted Airport, Ipswich, Colchester and Norwich to Stratford.
- The Overground line (Orange) is useful for getting across the district from Barking to Blackhorse Road.
- Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, (5 min walk from Stratford Station), . The Olympic Park for London 2012 Olympics. edit
- Eping Forest, (tube: Central Line), ☎ +44 20 8508 0028 ([email protected]), . Dawn-dusk. 19 km (12 mi) long in East London and Essex. Free. edit
- The William Morris Gallery, . edit
- The Central Library, Winston Way. Interesting structure from an architectural point of view. Unfortunately, caution is necessary in the area, as it is also the locale of choice for the native rude boys to hang out, alas not from the educational value of the institution. edit
- Alfred Hitchcock murals at Leytonstone station. Alfred Hitchcock was born in Leytonstone. Marking this, the exit walkways from Leytonstone station display murals from many of his films. edit
- Wanstead Flats. Park and woodland that is part of Epping Forest. Great for dogs and you can get lost in some of the woodland. edit
Bicycle along the River Lea or Epping Forest.</do>
Valentines Park is a pleasant green area, Essex County Cricket team used to play on the pitch in the western side of the park.
- Selbourne Walk, (tube: Walthamstow Central; just over the road). Walthamstow's shopping mall, with the usual selection of shopping mall type shops. edit
- Walthamstow High Street market. early-approximately 5:30PM. All manner of items may be purchased here, an example of the amazing bargains to be found is a carrier bag full of bananas for £1. edit
- The Exchange Shopping Centre. One of the largest American style malls when it was constructed in the early 1990s, it now has an extensive array of shops that is a bog-standard shopping centre. The town centre itself has most high street chain shops. edit
Leytonstone has an array of great charity shops and other small stores with specialist produce. Here are some highlights:
- Leytonstone Mini Market, 743 High Rd Leytonstone, London, E11 4QS. A brilliant local convenience store which has a massive range of weird and wonderful craft beers - you will certainly discover something new here! It is also run by an extremely friendly and community-minded couple who will gladly talk you through which beer you should go for. In addition, the shop has a no plastic waste 'refill' service for simple commodities like washing up liquid, hand soap, fabric softener, shampoo and vinegar - just bring your empty bottles and top up! Save money and stop using single-use plastics. edit
- Spitalfields Crypt Trust Charity Shop, 670-672 High Rd Leytonstone, Leytonstone, London E11 3AA. Lovely little charity shop selling all sorts! edit
- Remar UK Charity Shop, 847 High Road, Leytonstone, London E11. Large charity shop with a variety of things - it seems to specialise in wooden statues and figures edit
- Haven House Charity Shop, 849 High Road, Leytonstone, London E11 1HH. Another very nice charity shop with lots to offer edit
- Turkish Food Centre (TFC), 647-661 High Road, Leytonstone E11 4RA. A huge shop selling wonderful ranges of vegetables, meats, olives, breads, rices, lentils, sauces, different types of honey and much more! edit
- Grosik Polish Shop, 505 High Rd Leytonstone, Leytonstone, London E11 4PG. A friendly Polish shop stocking eastern European food and drink edit
There are a number of cafés and restaurants down the high street.
- Kebabish, Hoe St. Does a nice kebab and also tasty Indian food. edit
- Thainese, Hoe St (turn right from Walthamstow Central), ☎ 020 8509 9668, . 12-midnight. Halal Singaporean Chinese and Thai, black pepper crabs, chilli lobster, private rooms, prayer rooms expensive. edit
- Bombetta, Station Approach (Next to Snaresbrook Underground Station). Highly regarded new Puglian restaurant. edit
- Kera Spice, 715 High Road, Leytonstone, London E11 4RD. Absolutely delicious south Indian food at very low prices - a well loved local restaurant by those who know it. edit
- Leytonstone Spice, 639 High Rd Leytonstone, Leytonstone, London E11 4RD. Lively curry house serving Indian and Bangladeshi food, very popular with locals. edit
- Star of India, 875 high road, Leytonstone, London, E11 1HR. Indian restaurant with all you can eat buffer on Monday and Tuesday evenings. edit
- Petchsayam Thai, 682 High Rd Leytonstone, Leytonstone, London E11 3AA. Thai restaurant with great internal decor. edit
- District Một, 686 High Road, Leytonstone, London, E11 3AA. Tasty Vietnamese food edit
- The Sunflower Café, 715 High Road, Leytonstone, London E11 4RD. Lovely crepes and coffee. Also serves other food. edit
- Perky Blenders, (Inside Leytonstone station). Not really a café, but they serve great coffee to commuters as they come and go from Leytonstone tube. They also sell good coffee and other accessories on site. edit
- Le Petit Corner, 734 High Rd Leytonstone, Leytonstone, London E11 3AW. Cosy coffee shop with good coffee and cakes edit
- San Marino Café, 668 High Rd Leytonstone, Leytonstone, London E11 3AA. Great café with a big menu and nice all day breakfasts! edit
- Horizon Patisserie & Viennoiserie, 809 High Rd Leytonstone, Leytonstone, London E11 1HQ. Café with a wide range of cakes edit
- The Ferry Boat Inn, (tube: Blackhorse Rd). A quaint country style pub in a lovely river side setting. edit
- The Goose, (tube: Walthamstow Central, opposite). edit
Walthamstow does not have much of a clubbing scene, though there is:
- The Standard Music Venue, (tube: Blackhorse Rd, opposite). Has rock bands playing most nights of the week, and has a nightclub on Friday nights. edit
- The Red Lion, 640 High Road Leytonstone, London, E11 3AA (tube: Leytonstone), ☎ 020 8988 2929 ([email protected]). A very large pub with lots of different beers available, and a huge beer garden - perfect in the summer. Dog-friendly too. Often featuring live music or DJs. edit
- Luna Lounge, 7 Church Lane, Leytonstone, E11 1HG, London (tube: Leytonstone), ([email protected]). Lively bar with live music almost every night! You will see live jazz and blues bands, singer-songwriters, jam bands as well as open mic nights. Sometimes there are events in their downstairs bar too. Nice selection of drinks too. edit
- Sir Alfred Hitchcock Hotel, 147 Whipps Cross Road, London, E11 1NP (tube: Leytonstone), ☎ 020 8530 3724 ([email protected]). Big hotel and pub referencing the fact that filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock was born in Leytonstone. edit
- The Birds, 692 High Road, Leytonstone, London, E11 3AA (tube: Leytonstone), ☎ 020 8556 1131 ([email protected]). Nice pub named after Alfred Hitchcock's film 'The Birds'. edit
- The North Star, 24 Browning Road, Leytonstone, London, E11 3AR (tube: Leytonstone). Cosy real ale pub with Thai food available edit
- Heathcote & Star, 344 Grove Green Rd, Leytonstone, London E11 4EA (tube: Leytonstone). Big pub with a function room. Often with live music or sporting events. edit
- Best Western London Ilford Hotel, 3-5 Argyle Road, Ilford, IG1 3BD (tube: Stratford), ☎ +44 208 911 6083. checkin: 1pm; checkout: 11am. B&B hotel with 66 rooms very close to Central London (just 15 minutes to Liverpool Street by train) From about £39. edit
- Best Western Greater London Ilford Hotel, 60 Cranbrook Road, Ilford, IG1 4NH (tube: Stratford), ☎ +44 208 514 0444. checkin: 1pm; checkout: 11am. B&B hotel with 22 rooms very close to Central London (just 15 minutes to Liverpool Street by train) From about £39. edit
- Lucky 8 Hotel London Ilford, 25 York Road, Ilford, IG1 3BD (tube: Stratford), ☎ +44 208 518 5118. checkin: 1pm; checkout: 11am. B&B hotel with 38 rooms very close to Central London (just 15 minutes to Liverpool Street by train) From about £35. edit
- Britannia Inn Hotel Ilford, 54 Mansfield Road, Ilford, IG1 3AD (tube: Stratford), ☎ +44 208 514 5050, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 11am. B&B hotel with 36 rooms very close to Central London (just 15 minutes to Liverpool Street by train) From about £39. edit
- Ibis Hotel Stratford, 1A Romford Rd, Stratford E15 4LJ (tube: Stratford), ☎ +44 20 8536 3700, . 104 room hotel with the usual identikit, Ibis set-up. From about £50. edit
- Newham Hotel, 349-353 Romford Rd, Forest Gate, E7 8AA (tube: Forest Gate), ☎ +44 20 8534 8400 ([email protected]), . Budget hotel in the Forest Gate area of Newham From £44. edit
- Viking Hotel, 162 Romford Rd, Stratford (tube: Stratford). edit
- Devonshire Hotel • 94 Station Lane, Hornchurch, North-East London, Essex RM12 6LX (tube: Hornchurch), ☎ +44 1708 440088 ([email protected]). Opened in 2011, it is a family-run boutique hotel with free wi-fi and secure parking. Some rooms have been adapted to allow for easier access. Breakfast & homemade snacks available.
- Ibis Budget London East Barking, Highbridge Road, Essex, N1 1ED, ☎ +44 20 8534 8400, . Ibis budget London Barking is a low-cost hotel located 10 minute walk from the Barking underground station, with easy access to Barking town centre. edit
- Ibis London Barking, Highbridge road, Essex, IG11 7BA, ☎ +44 20 8477 4100, . The Ibis London Barking hotel is a modern London hotel with 86 rooms. edit
- Ibis Budget London City Airport, North Woolwich Road, Silverstown, E16 2EE, ☎ +44 20 7474 9106, . Ibis budget Hotel London City Airport is a low-cost hotel situated within walking distance of London City Airport terminal. edit
- Ibis Budget London Whitechapel, 100 Whitechapel Road, E1 1JG, ☎ Tel. +44 20 7655 4620, . The Ibis budget London Whitechapel offers easy access to A11 local transport links from/to Central London and Whitechapel/Aldgate underground stations. edit
- Millenium Apartments, 28-30 Rivington street, LONDON, EC2A 3DZ, ☎ Tel. +(44) 020 7739 0093, . Millenium Apartments offers the best selection of budget hotels in Rivington ST and Short Term Stay in Rivington street London UK. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!