Liuzhou (柳州; Liǔzhōu) is the second largest city in Guangxi. It is an industrial city, but in recent years most of the industry has moved from the city centre and the city is much less polluted than previously. It also contains much of interest and is a central location within Guangxi providing access to the rest of the region. It is surrounded by beautiful karst countryside and many minority (Zhuang, Miao, Yao, Dong etc) villages.
Liuzhou is a major rail hub and has good connections with most areas of China. The small airport offers flights to Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou etc.
Liuzhou has an extensive bus service and some of the cheapest taxis in China -starting at 6RMB (nighttime: 8 RMB). They're perfect for short distances. The city centre is easily explored on foot, but some of the parks, etc are a bit further out.
- Liuhou Park, in the city centre, is a commemoration of Liu Zongyuan, Tang dynasty poet and statesman who was governor of Liuzhou.
- Longtan Park set in beautiful karst scenery.
- Liuzhou City Museum - from Prehistory to the present. Lots of Chinese Ethnic Minority displays.
- Ma'an and Yufeng Hill Parks. Wonderful views and caves which have shown evidence of human inhabitation in Neathandrical times.
- Yufeng Mountain cable car
- Liuzhou Coffins. Miniature souvenir coffins. From the Chinese saying "Be born in Suzhou, live in Hangzhou, eat in Guangzhou and die in Liuzhou." Liuzhou was famous until recently for its coffins which were made from the local high quality wood. Today, only miniature versions are available and are popular as good luck charms as the Chinese for coffin can be used as a play on words for "Gain Promotion and Increase Wealth"
- Luosifen, 螺蛳粉, the local speciality. Rice noodles in a pungent spicy broth made from snails.
- Chao luo, 炒螺, snails prepared in wok.
- Liang ban niu za, 凉拌牛杂, beef offal, cold and dressed with sauce.
- Yun pian gao, 云片糕, sweet, creamy pastry.
- Radisson Blu Liuzhou, ☎ +86772 885 5555, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. The Radisson Blu Liuzhou is the only international '5 star' hotel located in Liuzhou City. With all standard 5 star hotel facilities, this hotel offers soft, comfortable bedding in a city predominantly full of hotels with hard beds! edit