West Leeds is an extensive area of the city of Leeds, bounded by the river Aire to the north and Fulneck, the M621 and M62 to the South. It is separated from South Leeds by Whitehall Road and from North West Leeds by the river. It is a mish-mash of classes, with pleasant parts in places such as Farsley/Rodley/Calverley and some parts of Pudsey, whilst parts of Armley and Bramley have acquired a reputation for crime rates. On the whole it is one of the nicer districts of Leeds with several areas which have very village-esque feels to them.
The main areas covered by this guide are:
- Armley - Busy inner city area with industrial heritage and a range of shops. Renowned for HM Prison Leeds.
- Bramley - Huge area with a busy centre.
- Caverley - Lovely victorian suburb on the edge of the city with many pretty buildings.
- Drighlington - Although technically with a Bradford postcode, Drighlighton is a village further down the A58 from Farnley.
- Farsley - Village near to Pudsey. Home of Farsley AFC.
- Farnley - Area on the fringes of the countryside.
- Fulneck - Moravian settlement
- Pudsey - major centre of West Leeds, with a busy market, attractive park, large retail park etc
- Rodley - Village-esque suburb on the banks of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal housing an eclectic mix of stone cottages and new apartments.Fast becoming a home for live music and real Ale via yearly music festivals held between two pubs in the village centre-The Owl and The Barge, and The Abbey, which is a 20 minute stroll down the canal towards Kirkstall.
- Stanningley - Up and coming area, the host to new bars and restaurants
- Swinnow - Historical suburb which was once part of the "rhubarb" triangle.
- Wortley - Industrial but pleasant suburb, home to several car dealers.
The district is covered by the postcodes LS12, LS13 and LS28.
West Leeds is served by two rail stations, Bramley and New Pudsey. These are located on the Caldervale Line which is useful for people wanting to travel to Bradford, Halifax, Brighouse or Manchester.
There are a vast number of bus routes which serve the district, which include:
- 4 - The 4 goes to Pudsey via Tong Road and the Stanningley Bypass.
- 5 - A route which includes Armley, the Gamble Hill estate and Old Farnley.
- X6 - Express route linking Leeds, Bradford, Brighouse and Huddersfield which goes via Stanningley Road, the Stanningley Bypass and the fringes of Pudsey.
- 14/X14/X15 - Leeds to Pudsey via Stanningley (14/X15) and Swinnow (X14)
- 16/16A - Goes past the Armley and Bramley shopping centres, through Rodley (16A only) and Farsley, terminating at Pudsey Bus Station.
- 42 - Serves Old Farnley via Wortley.
- 49 - Although this bus also serves Kirkstall and Burley en route to the City Centre, it terminates in Bramley.
- 72 - Hyperlink. Leeds to Bradford via Stanningley Road.
- 254 - Travels along the A58 corridor, passing through Wortley, Farnley and Drighlington.
- 508 - Leeds to Halifax, via Bramley, Farsley and Stanningley.
- 670 - Another route between Leeds and Bradford. Stops along Leeds And Bradford Road in Bramley, and also serves Rodley and Calverley.