South Leeds is the southern portion of the city of Leeds, with the river Aire to the north-east, the city center, docks and Holbeck to the north, the M621 to the west and M62 to the south. Though much of it is now currently characterized by deprivation, there are still many attractions, areas of historic interest and characterful districts. The principal areas of south Leeds include:
- Hunslet - former industrial district starting to be redeveloped.
- Belle Isle - Known for the Belle Isle Circus, a large roundabout.
- Stourton - home to Thwaite Mills
- Middleton - originally a pretty mining village, home to the oldest railway in the world.
- Rothwell - attractive and busy center of south-east Leeds
- Holbeck - A former factory town, now home to Holbeck Urban Village, a series of high-rise flats.
- Beeston - infamous for the 'Beeston Bombers', this lively, large and multicultural area is one of South Leeds' key centers
- Morley - attractive market town with impressive Town Hall now part of the Leeds urban area - home to the massive White Rose Shopping Centre
- The Cross Keys, 107 Water Lane, Holbeck, Leeds, LS11 5WD (10 minutes walk from Leeds Train station, close to Bridgewater place. Located in the Holbeck Urban Village), ☎ 01132433711, . noon-11PM. A Gastropub in the heart of the fast-developing Holbeck Urban Village. Opened in July 2005. The 200 year old inn is only a few minutes' walk from Leeds train station and comes complete with open fires, brick walls, beamed ceilings, a spiral staircase and for the summer months, an outdoor courtyard. We serve traditional British food, fine wines and excellent ales, seven days a week. edit