Laxenburg  is a small town in Austria in the state of Lower Austria less than 20 km from Vienna. The town is famous for its huge picturesque park and castles. One of them served as a summer residence for the Habsburg family. Thanks to its loveliness and easy accessibility, the town is a perfect destination for a day tour from Vienna.
When to go
Since the town is charming and easy to get to, many locals come here to spend their weekends, especially in summer. For that reason, the best time to come here in May-August is on the weekdays to avoid crowds. In the cold season whenever you come it can be almost deserted.
The easiest way to get to Laxenburg is to take the bus №200 that leaves from the station Südtiroler Platz-Hauptbahnhof in Vienna (metro line U1). A one-way ticket costs €4.40 (as for June 2016). The journey takes about 30 minutes. The bus station is located 100 meters from the main entrance of the railway station (Wien Haupbahnhof) next to McDonald's. You need the platform N2. The buses leave every 30 minutes on the weekdays and every hour at the weekend. In the evening after 8 pm buses come very seldom. You can check the schedule on the website of the local transport association VOR . You have to hop off the bus at the stop Laxenburg Franz-Joseph-Platz.
The town is very small and thus perfectly walkable. You can take a bus № 200 to get to the outdoor swimming pool at the Erholungszentrum Laxenburg (next station after Laxenburg Franz-Joseph-Platz) or rent a bicycle. The rent stations are at the bus stop Laxenburg Franz-Joseph-Platz and near the park entrance. To get to another swimming area Badeteich Laxenburg, you might also take a bicycle. Otherwise just walk 10 minutes from the town center.
Wooden pavilion in the park
- Schlosspark Laxenburg, . Open all day throughout the year. This is by far the best park area in Vienna vicinity and much more scenic than Schönbrunn or Prater. Here you'll find several ancient castles and royal palaces, rotundas with painted domes, a beautiful lake with swans, and if you're lucky you can see small groups of deers. While some parts of the park (especially close to the entrance) can be full of visitors, if you go deeper you'll find absolutely deserted places. Empress Sisi enjoyed having long ridings in the park. The longest walking trail (7.7 km) is called after her Sisi Runde. €2.30. edit
- Schlossplatz. The main square of Laxenburg. The most prominent building here is Blauer Hof Palace (Blue Court), where some members of the Habsburg family where born. Now the building is occupied by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA). Together with the parish church and the town hall (Rathaus), the palace forms a beautiful architectural ensemble of the XVII-XVIII centuries. edit
- Museum of Laxenburg, Herzog Albrecht Straße 9, ☎ 02236 76174 ([email protected]), . This small museum regularly organises different types of exhibitions, concerts, movie nights, and other social events. edit
Gothic Bridge in the park of Laxenburg
- Boat rent. From Easter till late October. On Monday-Thursday from 10 am to 6 pm, on Friday-Sunday from 9 am to 7 pm. You can hire a boat and spend some relaxing hours on the pond in the park. Rent is possible during the tourist season when the weather is good. Electronic boats, pedalos, or other types of boats are available. edit
- Laxenburg Express. You can explore the huge territory of the park on foot, or you can take a panorama train, the Laxenburg Express. You will catch it at the main entrance to the park, at the ferry station, or at the boat station. edit
- Recreation Center Laxenburg (Erholungszentrum Laxenburg), Müchendorfer Straße 7 ("Hop), . A small pleasant center with an outdoor pool and a restaurant. edit
- Pond Laxenburg (Badeteich Laxenburg), Leopold Holzgruber-Gasse, . This recreation area with a swimming pond and volleyball ground is only 10 minutes' walk from the park. Almost as everywhere in Laxenburg, it's better to come here earlier to avoid crowds. Entrance fees 2016: adults € 8.00, children € 4.00. edit
- Cultural life. Laxenburg is a venue for a number of summer festivals and cultural events. If you speak German you can enjoy visiting theatre performances. In summer cinema festival and concerts are organised regularly in the castles or in the central square. edit
- Friedrich Hartl Handwerk und Kunst, Schlossplatz 11, ☎ 02236 71297-0 (fax: 02236 71297-4), . The shop in the central square offers a good variety of souvenirs of wood as well as pieces of furniture and other items. edit
Rotunda in a far corner of the park
- Ice Cream Café, Hofstraße 7, ☎ 02236-72 7 52, . Open from 10 am till 10 pm. Laxenburg is famous for its ice cream café Eissalon with more than 20 sorts. It is open from Match/ April till late September, and it is almost always full of people. That's why it is better to stop by here earlier on your way to the park. edit
- Anna's, Hofstraße 5, ☎ 050331280, . Open from 8 am till 7 pm. Cosy place with tasty snacks and reasonable prices. This café offers a good choice of sandwiches, salads, soups, pastry, sweets, as well as very friendly atmosphere. edit
- Gallo Rosso, Franz Joseph-Platz 3, ☎ +43 2236 710420, . Open from 11 am till 11 pm. One of the poshest restaurants in the Vienna area. It is typical to see here guests in evening dresses and suits with bowties. The restaurant is situated in the building of the former royal railway station Kaiserbahnhof. Even though it is an excellent place to splurge for dinner, the lunch prices are rather moderate (€ 8,50). edit
- Rathausstüberl, Schloßplatz 8, ☎ +43 2236 714 29, . Open on Sunday-Tuesday from 11 am till 3 pm, on Wednesday-Saturday from 11 am till 10 pm. Cosy restaurant in the central square of Laxenburg in the building of the city hall Rathaus. edit
- Laxenburger Hof, Schlossplatz 17, ☎ 02236/72376, . Open from 9 am till 10 pm. Nice restaurant where you can try traditional Austrian cuisine. edit
- Kebap & Pizzahaus, Herzog-Albrecht-Straße 4, ☎ 0223671585, . As almost everywhere in Austria, kebab and other food here is absolutely safe and tasty, so that this place hardly stays longer than a minute without clients. edit
- Café Meierei Franzensburg, Schlosspark Laxenburg, ☎ +43 2236 710408. Open from April till October. This café is located in the Franzensburg castle on the island in the pond. To get in the castle, you can either take a ferry or have a 15-minutes stroll along the picturesque shore. The café offers a wonderful view and a variety of drinks and meals. edit
Since Laxenburg is a small town, there are no hotels or hostels in it. However, you'll find some options in the towns in the vicinity: in Mödling, Wiener Neudorf, Achau. Still, the most convenient option is to stay in Vienna and go to Laxenburg for a day tour.
Since Laxenburg is very close to Vienna, you can get to many places through the capital. You can always find the easiest way to get anywhere in the vicinity on the website of the local transport association VOR . These are some of the most interesting destinations that can be easily reached by bus or train:
- Mödling, a lovely small city located on the edge of the Vienna Woods. Here you'll find several ancient cathedrals, temples, and castles. One of them, Burg Liechtenstein, is an ancestral home of the princes of Liechtenstein. You can also visit the largest underground lake in Europe Seegrotte Hinterbrühl . To go to Mödling, take the bus № 215.
- Eisenstadt, the capital of Burgenland, famous for the Esterházy Palace, multiple cathedrals and other architectural sights. To get there from Laxenburg, you should take the bus № 200. The trip takes 55 minutes and costs about €8.
- Schneeberg, the highest mountain in the Lower Austria (2,076 m/ 6,811 ft). It is the most accessible destination in the Alps in the Vienna area. You can go there through Mödling railway station from where you need to take a train to Puchberg am Schneeberg. To reach the top of the mountain, you can either walk or take the Schneeberg Railway, rack-and-pinion railway. The views from the top are marvellous.
- Vösendorf might be a good destination in case you want to go shopping. The biggest shopping mall in Austria, Shopping City Süd, is located there . To get here from Laxenburg, you need to take the bus №215 to Wiener Neudorf and then take a suburban train.