Lancaster is a city in far northern Los Angeles County in Southern California, eight miles from the Kern County line.
California State Highway 14, the Antelope Valley Freeway, is the primary NORTH - SOUTH route in and out of Lancaster. It ends in Los Angeles in the South and heads North to Reno, Nevada.
California State Highway 138 heads EAST out of the "next door" city of Palmdale to the south and heads WEST along Avenue D, 6 miles north of Lancaster in unincorporated Los Angeles County. CA-138 runs co-extensively with CA-14 from Avenue D to Palmdale Blvd. Highway 138 leads to the "Grapevine" area of Interstate 5 to the West, and the Inland Empire (Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario) to the East.
There is no longer air service to the Antelope Valley region. Los Angeles area airports of LAX, Bob Hope in Burbank, Ontario, Long Beach, and John Wayne in Orange County, or Bakersfield's Meadows Field may be used if willing to drive a couple of hours.
The Lancaster Metrolink Station is the final destination on the Metrolink Rail system's Antelope Valley Line from Los Angeles' Union Station. Other nearby stops include the Palmdale Transportation Center and the Vincent-Grade/Acton Metrolink stations in Palmdale. Amtrak, the national rail carrier also has its Thruway Bus that stops at both the Lancaster Metrolink Station and the Palmdale Transportation Center.
Greyhound Bus Lines stops at the Lancaster Metrolink station and also at the nearby Palmdale Transportation Center. If continuing to your final destination using the local public bus system, the Antelope Valley Transit Authority, it is advisable to get off at the Palmdale Transportation Center instead, since it is the principal hub for the AVTA and you have more connection options (5) there than the Lancaster Metrolink station, which connects to only 2 lines.
- El Taxi en Espanol (661) 266-2255
- Southland Yellow Cab (661) 723-2227
The Musical Road
Created for a Honda commercial, America's only "musical" road is located on Avenue G in Lancaster, CA. Grooves have been cut into the road at intervals such that a car driving at 55 miles per hour hears the William Tell Overture (known to many as the theme from the Lone Ranger). The section of road proved so popular that it was re-located to this less populated stretch of highway and is now sponsored by the city of Lancaster itself. Videos of what you can expect to see and hear can be found on YouTube.
- Back Door Nightclub, West Ave I
- Bamboo Nightclub, West Ave I
- Britisher Bar, West Ave I
- Casa Roma Bar, West Ave J-2
- Coaches Sports Bar, Gadsden Ave
- Cancoon Nightclub, Sierra Hwy
- Club DI, Sierra Hwy
- Diamond Jim's Casino, West Ave A
- Don Cuco's Restaurant, West Ave K
- Longhorn Bar, East Ave I
- Lucky's Lounge, West Ave J
- Mango Tango Nightclub, Division Street
- Maxdons Bar, West Ave I
- Medrano's Restaurant, 10th Street West
- Papa's BBQ Bar, West Ave L
- Pit Stop Bar, West Ave K
- Purple Martini Nightclub, Valley Central Way
- Ruban's Bar, East Ave M
- Schooners Nightclub, 15th Street West
- Silver Spur Bar, West Ave M
- Snooky's Bikini Bar, Sierra Hwy
- The Trap Bar, East Ave I
- Turf Club OTB, West Ave H
- Uncle Sam's Bar, Sierra Hwy
- Young's Cocktail Lounge, 227 West Pillsbury Street, 661-948-0115
- Best Western Antelope Valley Inn, 44055 Sierra Highway, ☎ +1 661 948-4651 (fax: +1 661 948-4532), .
- Holiday Inn Express, 43719 17th Street West, ☎ +1 661 951-8848, .
- Homewood Suites by Hilton, 2320 Double Play Way, ☎ +1 661 723-8040, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12 noon. An all suite hotel equipped with full kitchens and free high-speed Internet. Complimentary hot breakfast, a light dinner with beverages (Monday-Thursday), and a grocery shopping service.
- Motel 6, 43540 17th Street West, ☎ +1 661 948-0435 (fax: +1 661 940-0657), .
- Americas Best Value Inn - Lancaster, 44131 Sierra Hwy (1 block south of Ave J), ☎ 661-945-8871, . checkin: 2:00PM; checkout: 12 noon. Large Spacious Rooms - all rooms have refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker. Complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, WI-FI, business center, movie channels,exercise room, large heated pool and spa. $65.
As with any city, use common sense and caution when in unfamiliar neighborhoods at night.