Lampedusa is the major island of the Pelagie Islands, part of Sicily. Lampedusa is the most southern island of Italy located in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.
The name of Lampedusa derived from the ancient Greek name of the island. It has been inhabited by the Fenician, Greeks, Romans, Arabs and in 1860 it became part of the Kingdom of Italy. Now it has a population of 5.800 and is 12km long, but only 3km wide.
The island belongs to the Africa continent by the sea bottom geological characteristic and has the rocky landscape with the shrubs covering it.
The airport is right next to the town and has direct flights with Sicily and mainland Italy.
Daily overnight ferries run from Porto Empedocle in Sicily and during the summer there is a hydrofoil service.
The best way to see the island is to hire a moped and explore all the different beaches on the island.
- L'isolotto dei Conigli (the Island of the Rabbits)
- Lampedusa was the filming location for many different films, so the movies fans can recognize some locations there.
- Beaches. The island has white sandy beaches and clear turquoise sea waters. Excellent Rabbit Beach (Spiaggia dei Conigli) is located in the southern part of the island and was voted as the world's best beach. The water stays warm until November, during which temperature ranges from 20 to 23 °C (68 to 73 °F). In all average high temperature ranges up to 29 °C in summer and up to 12 °C in winter. edit
- Boating. Tour around the island will take about 4 hours. edit
- Hiking. Walk by the nature trails and enjoy the beautiful views of the sea. edit
- Island. Exploare the island by the rented scooter, moped or motor boat, but the best way to explore the island on foot. edit
- Scuba diving. Blue sea is full of dolphins, turtles and carnival colored fish. The water is exceptionally clear there. It is possible to rent the diving gear from the shops on the island. edit
- Ristorante u'calacciuni, Via Galeano, 92010 Lampedusa, ☎ +39 339 435 0300, . Seafood restaurant edit
- Shiroi, Via Madonna snc presso Cupola Bianca Resort, 92031 Lampedusa, ☎ +39 392 686 9249, . Sushi restaurant, Pool, Bar edit
- Trattoria Pizzeria Da Corrado, Via Cala Creta, 21, 92010 Lampedusa e Linosa, ☎ +39 339 380 4147. Restaurant edit
- Trattoria Terranova, Contrada Terranova, 57, 92010 Lampedusa, ☎ +39 092 297 1925, . Restaurant edit
- Bar dell'Amicizia, Via Vittorio Emanuele, 60, 92010 Lampedusa, ☎ +39 092 297 0432 ([email protected]), . edit
- O Scià Club, Contrada Punta Alamo, Lampedusa e Linosa, . edit
- BolinaJazz, Contrada Cala Pisana, 28, 92010 Lampedusa, ☎ +39 334 711 7281, . B&B edit
- La Calandra Resort, Contrada Cala Creta, 92010 Lampedusa e Linosa, ☎ +39 391 773 2582, . Hotel edit
- Luna di Ponente, Contrada S. Fratello, 1, 92010 Lampedusa e Linosa, ☎ +39 092 297 3236, . Apartments edit
- Macondo, Str. di Ponente, 78, 92010 Lampedusa E Linosa, . Hotel edit