Lake Bunyonyi is a charming lake dotted with little islands in Western Uganda. The terraced landscape and vibrant colors make it almost cartoonish.
From Kabale, take a taxi or bodaboda to Orutindo Market (8 km, 20-25 minutes). From Orutindo you can hire a canoe or motorboat to the destination of your choice.
the best - and partially only - way to get around is a trip on water: with motor boat (look for alfred Kyasiimire and his boat "kyabakasa" - greet from "kirangara" thomas) or with canoe (look for the lame didus - he is a good driver!).
They can bring you around and show the beautiful islands, take you to different places where you can relax and finally decide where to stay.
At "Craterbay Cottages" you find "orutido car rental". For a reasonable price you can hire a car and get around the lake to kisoro, the volcanoes, the queen Elisabetz NP, …).
There is a lot to see at Lake Bunyonyi. You can tour all the 29 islands, you can visit the BaTwa and see their cultural show (50 min. with motoboat), you can visit a wonderful place called Kirangara, or to undertake a Motor Boat tour and enjoy "island - jumping". You can also see an incredible amount of different birds at Lake Bunyonyi!
You can make visits to local homes, village stays and tours to the gorillas, the volcanoes and Bwindi NP as well as the hotsprings near Kabale. And of course: swimming and canoeing!
Opposite of Orutindo there is a new Rastamans bar: ask for Clay Mutatina
There are restaurants in different price categories:
you can visit the exclusive BIRDNEST or the local Craterbay Cottages Restaurant.
Also on all the Resorts and campsites you find something to eat.
The water from the lake is very clean. But it is not advised for foreigners to drink it - unless it is boiled.
All the restaurants and campsites have a wide offer of drinks - dependent on your budget.
You can also experience the local sorghum beer: Obushera or Amarwua.
Or the local Banana - wine, as well as the brandy of it: waraghi
- Byoona Amagara, Itambira Island, ☎ +256.752.652788 ([email protected]), . Long renowned as the top place to stay at Lake Bunyonyi, for its creative 'geodome' accommodations, each with its own private balcony having views of the surrounding islands and hillsides, as well as fresh diverse meal offerings (with entirely organic ingredients), and friendly staff, it is also among the least expensive places in the whole region. You can book a 'deluxe' accommodation, which includes all en-suite facilities, with hot showers, etc., or basic accommodations and even dormitory options. It is also family friendly, with a great family cottage available and tons to do around the island and lake. Prices range from as low as $4pp in the dormitory up to $20pp in the 'deluxe geodomes" (which is probably one of the best accommodation deals in all of Uganda). As well, no meal on the menu is more than $6, and most are between just $2-$4. edit
- Arcadia Cottages, ☎ +256 77 2981155, . Situated on a hillside high above the lake. Spectacular panoramic views. There are about 12 rooms, in two rows, all have lake views. The lower front row are lovely octagonal cottages with thatch roof. The upper row are newer concrete, also good but less character. All ensuite, clean, with hot water and electricity. Comfortable real double beds, twin rooms available. Good food. Friendly service. Pretty garden. $80 per night. edit
- Africa Explorer Eco Village, Kabale (Lake Bunyonyi Kyabahinga), ☎ +256 75 7953545, +256 79 2929 ([email protected]). The Africa Explorer Eco village is situated on Kyabahinga ridge over looking one of the best sceneray you can get of the lake, the islands and the Virunga Mountains bordering Rwanda and the Congo. They provide accomodation in fully furnished African Huts, wooden cabins powered by solar with hot and cold showers. you can connect with wifi internet. domes and camping ground for backpackers can be provided. The restaurant serves organic food in both international and local dishes. but the prices for drinks are not so cheap. $50 to $20. edit
- Lost Paradise Beach (Kirangara), Kabale, ☎ +256 700 792929 ([email protected]), . Lost Paradise Beach with a beach and a wonderfull view provides accomodation in beautyful simple "cottages" (African Huts). There is great african-european-asian food as well as icecold drinks. Canoeing for free. The place owned by a Ugandan family is beautyfull prepared, clean and maintained with a big garden, Camping place, tropical fruit garden, Eating and Party - Hall, Waterhouse for lonely twosome breakfast and nice swimming dock and beach. You get served ananas, sugarcane, bananas and Passion fruit fresh from the garden. They offer African tea and Arabian coffee. Its a place to relax and to experience african lifestyle. Part of the income supports the owners orphans project "orutindo.eu". from 25.000 USh. edit
- Bugombe Island Gateway (Kabale), Kabale Lake bunyonyi (10km from kabale town to lake Bunyonyi), ☎ 256757953545. Bugombe island gateway is a newly opened resort on lake Bunyonyi that offers great accommodation and travel experience. We do have a bird watching sacantuary on bugombe wild island and canoe trips to the 10 islands on the lake. we offer full board accomodation with all meals served at a great price . Bugombe Island Gate way offers free wifi to all our geusts. 100 dollars full board. edit
Medical threatment is available in every town and drugshops almost in every village. There is a small hospital at the lake.
to get out of uganda you use the same means as to come in: by car, foot (katuna), plane, bus, taxi…
You can continue your trip to one of the neighbour countries: Sudan, Kenya, Rwanda, Congo, Tanzania and continue to explore Central and Eastern Africa!. Good contacts for tours as well as fraveladvises and ideas you find at the local agency uganda-travel.jimdo.com