La Rioja is a province in the Andean Northwest region of Argentina
The landscape of the province is covered by mountain ranges around together with the agricultural valleys. In the one of these valleys is situated capital city La Rioja.
The area has short winters and very hot summers. Province is famous by vineyards, nuts, olive and cotton plantations usual for this region.
- La Rioja Airport, Ruta Provincial no 5, 5300 La Rioja (9km from La Rioja), ☎ +54 382 246 1919, . La Rioja Airport IATA Code: IRJ. Airport is located 9 kilometers from the city. (29° 22' 59'' S,66° 46' 59'' W) edit
The optimal bus search is on website.
- Dinosaur fossils from the dry bed Talampaya River, which was home to the dinosaurs millions of years ago. The dinosaur Riojasaurus found there is named after the province.
- Quebrada de Condores Reserve is a great place for hiking. The name itself says, what is possible to meet there.
- Slopes of Miranda (Cuesta de Miranda) forms the rusty-red landscape with the iron oxide component rocks.
- Talampaya National Park with many walls or rock formations and dry red-soiled canyon of the ancient river. The park is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Vuelta al Pique circuit is excellent area for hikers.
- Ruta 40. The province is crossed by mythical Ruta 40. The highway takes beginning from the far north to the southernmost tip of Argentina and goes through the desert plains and lush vineyards, passes by the crystal lakes, glaciers and the peaks of the Andes Mountains. The 5224 kilometer route connects La Quiaca in northern Argentina with the southern town of Rio Gallegos. The road trip goes through 11 provinces, 20 national parks, 18 major rivers, 27 passes on the Andes.
- La Fiesta de la Chaya Riojana. It is is the best known festival among the national events. edit
- Paragliding. Activity could be developed in the Antinaco Valley near Famatina. edit
- Wine tasting tours. Popular attraction among the tourists. edit
Very special wine of this area is Torrontés Riojano. It is aromatic, well-balanced, bright acidity and whitish of color.
The most famous wineries bodegas are San Huberto, Chañarmuyo, La Riojana.