La Grange is in Prairies and Lakes, Texas.
La Grange was first settled in the 1820's on land granted to John H. Moore. The town is named after General La Fayette's county home in France. La Grange became a major site of German and Czech settlement in the 1840’s because the rolling hills and forests were reminiscent of the settler’s homelands. Even today the German and Czech influence on the town remains strong, seen in many local customs, architecture and cuisine. The famed Chicken Ranch, which was the inspiration for the hit play and film The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, was located in La Grange. The city was also the subject of ZZ Top’s classic rock song "La Grange”.
La Grange is best accessed by car. La Grange is located equidistant from Austin and Houston on TX Hwy 71, about an hour and a half from each city.
From Houston: Take I-10 W toward San Antonio and merge onto TX-71 W La Grange/Austin.
From Austin: Take TX-71 E toward Bastrop/Houston.
La Grange is easily accessible from four large airports; Austin Bergstrom International Airport, San Antonio International Airport, Houston Hobby and George Bush International Airport in Houston.
Many of La Grange’s attractions are easily accessible on foot once you are in La Grange’s Courthouse Square and Main Street sites. Some of the attractions, including Monument Hill & Kreische Brewery State Historic and The Texas Czech Heritage & Cultural Center are located away from the Square and are only accessible by vehicle.
- Texas Quilt Museum 140 West Colorado, La Grange, Texas 78945 (979) 968-3104. Showcases stunning quilts in changing exhibits in three spacious, high-ceilinged galleries. Also features a period “town” garden alongside a beautiful outdoor mural.
- Monument Hill & Kreische Brewery State Historic Sites  414 State Loop 92, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5658. Remains of the early brewery and monument to the men of the 1842 Dawson Mier Expedition who drew the “black beans of death” after their capture by the Mexican Army at Salado Creek. See an outstanding view of downtown La Grange and the Colorado River. A Texas Heroes Day is held at Monument Hill every September featuring re-enactors and guest speakers.
- The Old Fayette County Jail 171 S. Main Street, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-3017.Old Jail turned Visitors Bureau! We’ve got information on local attractions, public restrooms, museum, and gift shop. There is an original jail cell from 1883. Don’t forget to take a picture.
- Fayette County Courthouse 
151 N. Washington La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5254. This beautiful, historic courthouse was built in 1890 and is one of the only courthouses in Texas to feature an open atrium!
- Texas Czech Heritage & Cultural Center  250 Fairgrounds Rd La Grange, TX 78945
(888) 785-4500. The Texas Czech Heritage & Cultural Center is a museum that displays artifacts and memorabilia which tell the story of the Czech immigrants who settled in Texas. The Texas Czech Heritage & Cultural Center also includes; the Czech Music Museum, a Texas Czech Village with vintage homes and period furnishing, and a library where visitors can conduct genealogical and historical research.
- Fayette Heritage Museum Library & Archives  855 South Jefferson St, La Grange, Texas 78945 (979) 968-3765 Rotating displays on Fayette County history. Extensive collection of county genealogy, microfilmed publications, local documents, photographs and data from the early 1800s.
- Depot Museum and M-K-T Railroad Depot  171 S. Main, La Grange, TX 78945(979) 968-5756. Learn the history of the local railroads and its importance to the area! Artifacts and Original furnishings. Active track right outside!
- Jersey Barnyard  3117 Hwy. 159, La Grange, Texas 78945 (979) 249-3017.
Tour the family owned Jersey dairy farm. Relax on the porch, pet the animals, have some ice cream and enjoy the countryside.
- The Historic Faison Home 822 South Jefferson La Grange, TX 78945. One of the oldest homes in Fayette County, boasting original furnishings of the wealthy Faison family, whose members occupied the home for nearly 90 years.
With the Colorado River and the rolling hills surrounding the city, La Grange has plenty of activities for outdoor enthusiasts.
Camp Lone Star  2016 Camp Lone Star Rd La Grange, Texas 78945 (979) 247-4128.
Canoe and kayak rentals are available.
Frisch ‘Auf Golf Course  575 Country Club Dr La Grange, Texas 78945 (979) 968-3965.This 9 hole golf course is open to the public.
La Grange hosts a number of events throughout the year.
- May Fest (Slavnost)- at Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center, a celebration of Czech music and culture. Always in May.
- Fayette County Sheriff's Posse- Bull Riding and Rodeo Event-Always in Mid August.
Fayette County Fair - Music, dances, livestock shows, home exhibits, cookoffs, softball tournaments. Always Labor Day weekend.
- Muziky,Muziky, An annual celebration of Czech music and culture at the Sanford Schmid Amphitheater on the Fayette County Fairgrounds. Always in October.
- Schmeckenfest- La Grange’s Old World Christmas Celebration on the Courthouse Square; The festivities include samples of wassil, German dancing, food booths, live music, and a visit from Santa. Always the first Thursday in December.
- Best Little Quilt Show in Texas- Quilt extravaganza at the Fayette County Fairgrounds- Always in February.
- Best Little Cowboy Gathering in Texas - Chuckwagon exhibits, Western trade shows, Horse Clinic, BBQ cookoff, Cowgirl’s Ball, Children’s activities, Cowboy Poetry and Story Tellin’- Always in March.
- La Grange Uncorked - An annual wine and food festival that takes place on the Courthouse Square. Always in March.
The La Grange Courthouse Square offers a true shoppers paradise with trendy boutiques, specialty shops and tasty treats.
Kolaches is the Czech version of a Danish pastry, a Kolache is a sweet, bread like cake surrounding a dollop of fruit or flavored cream. Two Bakeries in town serve Kolaches.
- Weikel’s Bakery  2247 W. Hwy 71 Business. La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-9413.
- Lukas Bakery 135 N Main St, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-3052.
- Bistro 108 - 108 S. Main Street La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-9108.
- Bodega Wine Market 201 W. Travis La Grange, TX 78945 (979)968-3964.
- Dairy Queen 311 N. Jefferson St. La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-3564.
- Café Dobre 235 W. Travis La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-9200.
- Golden Chick 312 E. Travis La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-9200.
- Gold’n Crisp 922 E. Travis St La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-3033.
- Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant 402 N. Jefferson La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5935.
- Hank’s Express  154 S. Jefferson La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 966-0500.
- Kasper’s Steak House 710 W/ Travis St. La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5720.
- La Marina Restaurant 1502 W. State Hwy 71 La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-2065.
- Las Fuentes 658 S. Jefferson St. La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-8957.
- Latte On the Square  219 W. Travis St. La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-9545.
- Legal Tender Brisket and Brew 23932 Hwy. 77 La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 242-2458.
- Prause Meat Market 253 W. Travis Street La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-3259.
- Reba’s 539 E. Colorado La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5506.
- Riverside Café 1225 Carroll Ln La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5506.
- Sealand Seafood  2359 Hwy. 71 W. La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-6139.
- Taqueria Rio Verde 1330 N. Jefferson La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 966-0724.
- The Back Porch BBQ and Bakery  1602 N. Jefferson La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-1580.
- Texas OneStop BBQ and Bakery 1704 E. Hwy 71 Bypass La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968 8100.
- Pizza Hut 2230 W. State Hwy. 71 La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-3125.
- Sonic Drive-In 717 E. travis St. La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-6421.
- Subway 109 S. Jefferson La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 966-0724.
- Whataburger 18—E. State Hwy 71 La Grange, TX 78945 (979)968-9565.
- Mcdonalds. 2304 W. Hwy 71 La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5098.
There are a number of wineries in the area that offer tours and tastings.
- Rosemary’s Vineyard  5521 Highway 71 East La Grange, TX 78945 (979)249-2109. Enjoy a wide variety of both white and red wines.
- Rohan Meadery  6002 Farm to Market 2981 La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 249-5652.
A boutique winery situated between La Grange & Round Top, TX. They specialize in the re-creation of honeywines or meads, mankind's oldest beverage, using the finest Texas honeys available.
- Bugle Boy -1051 N. Jefferson (US 77 N)La Grange, Texas (979) 968-9944.
The Bugle Boy is one of America’s premier listening rooms. It offers a wide variety of concerts of American Roots music by regional, national and international, independent artists, performing original works that include blues, folk, jazz, rock, swing, country western, and singer/songwriters. Concerts are every Friday and Saturday evening.
Bed and Breakfasts
La Grange offers a number of bed and breakfasts, each with their own amenities.
- Ammannsvile Cottages- 9018 FM1383, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 561-8691.
- Bed & Breakfast on Main- 512 S Main, La Grange, TX 78945 (979)-968-9535.
- Big Tin Bed and Breakfast  714 E. Radhost School Road, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 247-4700.
- Blue Willow Farm and B&B  1412 S. US Hwy 77, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-5964.
- Brendan Manor Bed & Breakfast  345 E. Travis Street, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 247-2028.
- Guest House at Dos Lagos -3045 Valenta Road, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 247-4465.
- Heavens Gate Ranch 9200 Hwy 77 N, La Grange, TX 78945 (281) 491 2122.
- Lodge on Lake Siesta  5145 FM 153, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 732-1256.
- Skyrunner Guesthouse  340 Fm 155, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 966-9698.
- Texana Trails and Lodge Kallus Road , La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 247-4457.
- Waldhutte  1613 Guenther Rd, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 247-4802.
La Grange hotels include;
- Best Western 600 E. State Hwy 71 Bypass, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-3175.
- Hampton Inn 1623 W State Hwy 71, La Grange, TX 78945 (979) 968-8314.
La Grange Visitors Bureau
171 S. Main Street
La Grange, TX 78945