Kuusamo  is a city in Oulu province.
Most people arrive to Kuusamo with their own car. You can get a taxi from Kuusamo or Ruka.
Own car is quite necessary because of the long distances.
The nearest train station in in Oulu, from where there are connecting buses timed to train arrivals.
It takes 3 hours by bus  from Oulu to Kuusamo. There are regular connections from Rovaniemi and Kajaani, too.
There are scheduled flights from Kuusamo airport (IATA: KAO)  to Helsinki.
Driving around during weekend is popular among the youth. Snowmobiling is wery popular in Kuusamo so there are hundreds of kilometres snowmobiling routes. In Ruka village, in Kuusamo, there is no need for cars. The new Ruka Pedestrian Village became ready in November 2010. You can now walk to the slopes from the hotels without any crossings.
- Oulanka National Park  and 
- Fell Konttainen. 407 meters, about half a kilometre from Karhukierros Trail edit
- Fell Pyhävaara. 461 meters, you need a special license to get there. edit
- Fell Rukatunturi. 500 meters, Karhunkierros Trail starts from here. edit
- Fell Valtavaara. 491 meters, Surmankuru gorge (40 meters) is located here, on the north side. edit
- Oulanka National Park Visitor Center (Oulangan Luontokeskus), Liikasenvaarantie 132, 93999 Kuusamo, ☎ +358 205 64 6850, . 10-18. Here you can get information on hiking, camping and the National Park. There is also an exhibition in the center. Entrance is free-of-charge. edit
- Ruka,  one of the biggest ski centers in Finland is situated in the municipality of Kuusamo and is its main tourist attraction.
- Karhunkierros (The trail of the bear) , is the most popular hiking trail in Finland. The 80 km long trail leads through two beautiful national parks. There are also several shorter variations of the trail. The trail is easily accessible from the Kuusamo airport with a bus that takes you to the beginning of the trail. Although the difficulty level is quite easy, you should still be prepared with a decent map and enough food. Water is not a problem, as there are plenty of rivers that have clean and drinkable water. There are several open wilderness huts (autiotupa), where you can stay for free. The huts tend to get full during peak season (end of June to beginning of August), so you should consider bringing your own tent.
- Cross Country Service Kontio 
- Kuusamo Safaris, Kotatie 1, Rukatunturi, ☎ +358-8-853 196, . Tailor made activities for families and small groups. For example: snowmobile-, husky-, ice-fishing-, reideer sleigh-, snowshoe trekking and cross-country skiing safaris, canoeing, cycling, white water rafting and rowing trips. edit
- Wilderness Wolf Nature Safaris, Rukajärventie 30, Rukatunturi, ☎ +358-40-5700 279, . Husky farm with over 200 sledge dogs. Prices start from 36 euros/2 km/person.. edit
- Kuusamo Info, Torangintaival 2, ☎ +358 (0)306 502 540, . 9-17 (Sat-Sun winters closed). The official tourist info of Kuusamo. edit
- Stella Polaris Adventures, Mestantie 1, Rukatunturi, ☎ +358 408433425, . Wilderness safaris with high quality services, private safari company, DMC edit
Famous spoonbait manufacturer Kuusamon Uistin is located on Kuusamo, factory shop is located on the plant. There is much handcraft business on the Ruka and central Kuusamo.
- Shopping Center Kumpare (Kauppakeskus Kumpare), Rukakyläntie 8, Rukatunturi, ☎ +358 8 8600250. 9.30-19. Here you can find the Ruka info, Internet terminals, WLAN, groceries store, ALKO (liquer store), souvenir shops, gym, child park etc. edit
- Kuusamon Uistin, Kemijärventie 44-46, ☎ +358-8-860 3450, . 10-18 (Sat-Sun 10 16). Famous metal spoonbait factory. There is also a cafe. edit
- Supermarket Prisma Kuusamo, Huoparintie 1, ☎ +358 1076 33100. 9-21, Sat 9-18, Sun 12-18. Big supermarket in Kuusamo city. Daily items, clothing, sport equipment etc. edit
- K-Citymarket Kuusamo, Luomantie 1-3, ☎ +358 207204100. 9-21, Sat 9-18, Sun 12-18. Big supermarket. Here you can buy almost anything. edit
- Leipäjuusto a regional fresh cheese. Also known as Finnish squeaky cheese because the cheese is "squeaking" when one's chewing it.
- Poronkäristys, sauteed reindeer. A speciality of Lapland, but also available in the northern part of the Oulu province.
- Restaurant Mango (Ravintola Mango), Kylpyläntie 1, 93699 Kuusamo, ☎ +358-8-859 6440. Different opening hours every day. Restaurant in the spa hotel. Restaurant offers healthy food. edit
- Spa Coffee (Spa Cafe), Kylpyläntie 1, 93600 Kuusamo, ☎ +358-8-859 6000. 10-21.30. Restaurant has a la carte meals, pizza, toast, salad and different kinds of snacks on their menu. edit
- Sokos Hotel Kuusamo Restaurants, Kirkkotie 23, 93600 Kuusamo, ☎ +358 (0)20 1234 693. From 9 until at least 23 (some days until 4 am). Three different restaurant: Torrero for really good meal, Ollin Baari for Drinks and Hotku Club for dancing. edit
There are many bars and pubs in Ruka and Kuusamo, Ruka is famous for its dance and karaoke bar ZONE.
- SportBar & Arena (Sporttibaari), Kylpyläntie 1, 93600 Kuusamo, ☎ +358-8-852 1909. 15-22(24). This place is for sport fans. You can can go bowling, play biljard, watch sports or just enjoy a drink. edit
- Kuusamon tropiikki , a spa hotel. Kylpyläntie 1. tel. +358 (0)20 1234 906
- Hotel Rantasipi Rukahovi, Rukakyläntie 15, Rukatunturi, ☎ +358 8 85 910, . Hotel is located in the middle of Ruka ski resort. Hotel has twin rooms, superior panorama rooms, suites, one room for disabled and apartments for 3-6 persons. edit
- Ski-Inn Hotel RukaVillage, Rukakyläntie 6, Rukatunturi (+358-8-8600 300), . Especially for skiing travellers. Each room has cooking facilities. [email protected] edit
- Sokos Hotel Kuusamo, Kirkkotie 23, ☎ 020 1234 693, . checkin: 15:00; checkout: 12:00. Hotel is located in the centre of Kuusamo, SkiBus connection Ruka. Free wired internet in rooms. edit
- Isokenkäisten Klubi, Heikinjärventie 3, ☎ +358(0)400-972260, . Different kinds of accommodation in the peace of wilderness. Private restaurant, smoke sauna, meeting facilities and a typical Lappish hut. edit
- Oivangin Lomakartano, Junganjoentie 3-4, ☎ + 358 (0) 40-5284 787, . Oivangin Lomakartano have three log villas. They are all located near lakes known for their clean waters and variety of fish. edit
- Holiday Village Petäjälampi (Petäjänlammen lomakylä), Petäjälammentie 6, 93600 Kuusamo, ☎ +358 (0)8 852 11 11, . Accommodation in cottages, camping area and hotel rooms (Hotelli Kuusanka). Cottages for example in the summer time 120 euros per day. edit
- Ollila Holiday Cottage (Ollilan Lomamajat), Sossonniementie 216, ☎ +358-358 (0)40 4868 322, . 8 well-equipped cottages around the lake Välijärvi. Every cottage has its' own sauna, boat and swimming area. from 50 to 80 euros per night. edit
- Rukan Salonki, Kemijärventie 235 (93825 Rukatunturi), ☎ +358-40-5349183, . High quality chalets by lake Salonkijärvi only two kilometers from Ruka. edit
Locals don't like arrogant tourists, especially when they are intoxicated, so be polite to them and they are polite to you. All you need is a common sense.