Kumily (Malayalam: കുമളി Kumaḷi) is a town in Kerala State in South India. It is in the Cardamom Hills near Thekkady and the Periyar Tiger Reserve, in the Idukki District. It is a major tourist destination and a spices trading center. Kumily is an access point for many Kerala bound merchants and labourers. The place is in close proximity to the bordering places in Tamil Nadu.
The nearest airport is Madurai and so is the Railway Station.
Buses from Tamil Nadu, especially Madurai at a distance of 120 km.
There is buses from Munnar. The KRSTC one takes around five hours and costs around INR 95.
Taxis and Autorickshaws.
- Thekkady Wildlife Sanctuary. edit
- Idukki Arch Dam. This is the world's second and Asia's first arch dam. edit
- Spices. Enjoy the Spicy flavours of Kerala. Walk among the cardomom plantations. Shop for spices. edit
Spices and Condiments, Various types of Tea (Masala, Vanilla, Chocolate, Cardamon), Coffee beans & powder
- Hilltop Spices, Kumily (Kerala, 685509), ☎ 09953865830, 9447472413. Wholesale & Retail Dealers in Cardamom, Pepper, Clove & Cinnamon etc, which are local grown. edit
Lord's Family Restaurant on the main road of Kumily, in the center. The "Navrathan Kurma" is wonderful.
Vegetarian/ Vegan/ Jain Restaurants
Hotel Ariya Bhavan is a vegetarian restaurant located at Thekkady Kavala (Thekkady Junction) of Kumily. This is also one of the restaurants that offers affordable food in a decent, though not luxurious ambiance.
Lot of hotels and home stays are available.
- Jungle View, ☎ +919446136407/+914869223582, . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. Budget. edit
- The Pepper Valley Stay, (on way to Thekkady), . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. Budget. edit
- Woodlands Prime Castle, (on way to Thekkady). checkin: noon; checkout: noon. Budget. edit
- Michales Inn, (on way to Thekkady). edit
- Dean Dale Cottages, Pepper Valley Street, Kumily (just 1 km away from kumily on Munnar Road), ☎ +919895655756/+919447916828 ("[email protected]), . from 400 to 1500 Rs. edit
Spacious and clean rooms relaxing and excellent value for money homestay runned by a nice local family located in a tranquil area away from the mad crowds.
- Periyarwoods Homestay, Panchayat Office Road,Labbakandam ,, ☎ 9447252268, . checkout: 12 PM. Homely accommodation amidst lush green forest and misty valleys of Western Ghats. 1500-2500. edit