Kranj (pronounced "Krah-n") is a city in Central Slovenia. It is the historical capital of Carniola.
Ljubljana Airport (LJU) is situated at about 10 km distance from the city center and is served by several airlines year-round: Adria Airways (Amsterdam, Brač, Brussels, Bucharest, Copenhagen, Dubrovnik, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hamburg, Kiev, Moscow, Munich, Paris, Podgorica, Prague, Pristina, Sarajevo, Skopje, Sofia, Tirana, Vienna, Warsaw, Zurich), Air Serbia (Belgrade), Air France (Paris), Montenegro Airlines (Podgorica), easyJet (London, Berlin - from August 2018), LOT Polish Airlines (Warsaw), Turkish Airlines (Istanbul), Wizz Air (Brussels, London), Finnair (Helsinki), Transavia (Amsterdam), ...). You can reach the city center from the Ljubljana Airport by taxi or public bus.
Visit Tourist information office in the arrival hall for any questions about the transportation options to and around Kranj.
It is recommended to either make a reservation before arriving at the Ljubljana Airport or get a taxi from "Ljubljana Airport Taxi Association" as they are all licensed taxi drivers who will issue receipts and use taximeter. Without a reservation, you'll pay around 20 Euro to get into town. Uber is not available in Slovenia.
You can reach Kranj from the airport by public bus (look for the blue coaches operated by Alpetour next to the blue "BUS" sign) - the ticket is 1.80 Euro and you'll have to pay for the baggage heavier than 10kg. Buses run every hour on the hour from Monday to Friday, and every two hours on the hour till 2 p.m. on Saturdays. Buses don't run on Sundays and public holidays (that is 1. 1., 8. 2., 27. 4., 1. 5., 2. 5., 25. 6., 15. 8., 31. 10., 1. 11., 25. 12., 26. 12.)
There is a small train station located at Kolodvorska cesta at about 10 minutes walking distance from the bus station. During office hours it is recommended to buy a ticket at a ticket office as it is cheaper. It is served by regular trains to Ljubljana, Bled, Jesenice and Škofja Loka. There are also additional international trains (connecting to Villach, Austria), which run approximately every 4 hours. You can get the timetable at the Slovenske železnice website.
The bus station is located where Bleiweisova cesta meets Stošičeva ulica. Buses form Ljubljana AP run every 15 to 30 minutes, it takes about 40 minutes to get to Kranj AP, the ticket is 3,60 €. Buses from Bled (and some from Bohinj) run every 30 minutes, it takes about 40 minutes to get to Kranj AP, the ticket is 3,60 € (6,70 € from Bohinj). All the timetables are available here.
The city is 25km north-west from Ljubljana on Hwy A2. There are 34 buses per day from Ljubljana, a one-way ticket costs 3.60 Euro.
The center of Kranj is small enough to cover by foot.
Kranj has a bike rental system called "KRsKOLESOM" (simply by bike). It costs 15 € per year and you can use those bikes up to 14 hours per week. Purchase can be made online or at the Tourist information center. Many roads around Kranj are safe to drive by bike.
By city bus
There are 15 bus lines in Kranj, but the town is connected with quite regular bus routs to more or less every municipality up to 50 km around. You can find all the timetables here. Their app is pretty useful, too. The city bus ticket costs 1 € and it is valid for all the city buses for the day of purchase. You pay onboard. It is possible to buy a monthly city bus ticket for 10 € at the main station.
Taxis can be found outside of the central bus station and the railway station.
- Castle Khislstein (Grad Khislstein) and Museum of Carniola (Gorenjski muzej), Tomšičeva ulica 44, ☎ +386(0)59 – 096 – 631, . Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00. You can find permanent exhibitions and collection in Khislstein. Especially during summer and Teden mladih (in may) there are a lot of concerts in outside theatre in the castle. 2,5€ for adults and 1,7€ for students, children and seniors. edit
- The Prešeren house (Prešernova hiša) and Prešeren memorial museum, Prešernova 7, ☎ +386 (0)4 201 39 83, . Tue-Sun 10:00-18:00. In the house where the greatest Slovene poet dr. France Prešeren (1800-1849) lived from autumn 1846 until 8th February 1849, was memorial museum opened on 8th February 1964. There is a permanent collection about poet's life and in the ground floor there is a gallery. edit
- Tunnels under Kranj old town core, Glavni trg 2. Tours on Sat and Sun at 10:00, Tue and Fri at 17:00. One of the main tourist attractions of the town. 3€. edit
- Kokra deep in canyon (Kanjon Kokre). edit
- The parish church of St.Kancijan (Cerkev Sv. Kancijana), Glavni trg 1. Free. edit
- Town hall (Mestna hiša), Glavni trg 4, ☎ +386 (0)4 201 39 80. In the City Hall, the Renaissance Hall and three permanent exhibitions are put on show: the works of an academic sculptor Lojze Dolinar (1893-1970), the archaeological exhibition Iron Thread and the ethnological exhibition Folk Art in Gorenjska. The Kranj Art Society and the City Hall galleries are situated on the ground floor. Adults 2.30€, young and seniors 1.70€. edit
- The ossuary, alongside the Church of St. Kancijan and Companions, Glavni trg, Kranj. Upon previous arrangement with the Gorenjska museum. Free. edit
- Layer's house (Layerjeva hiša), Tomšičeva ulica 32, . There is a beautiful garden with nice view and a cafe in Layer's house. During weekends there are a lot of concerts and other events (you can check on their web page about it). You can visit museum room of slovenian painter Puhar, who invented photograpfy on glass. edit
- Plečnik's arcades and fountain, Vodopivčeva ulica. The architect Jože Plečnik had planned to make a monumental entrance into the town. He transformed the steep slope into a staircase and replaced the former well (called “šterna”) with an obelisk, at the top of which there is a bronze rooster from which the water runs into stone, terraced vessels. The fountain is an interpretation of the Garden of Eden at Hradčany, Prague. edit
- Pungert with the two towers and the church, Trubarjev trg 6. Here you can find St. Fabian, St. Sebastian and St. Rok church and medieval defence tower dating back to the 16th century. edit
- Šmarjetna gora. Hike to Šmarjetna gora. From Stražišče(10 min from Kranj, take the bus 2, 3 or 4) it is 30 min till the top, where you can have a coffee and a nice view to Kranj. edit
View of Kranj from Šmarjetna gora
- St. Jošt. Hike to St. Jošt. From Stražišče (10 min from Kranj, take the bus 2, 3 or 4) it is 60 min till the top. There is St. Jošt church and a small restaurant. edit
Shows are performed regularly throughout the year.
- Prešeren Theatre, Glavni trg 6, . edit
There are two cinemas in Kranj. One is located near old city's centre and the other near shopping centre.
In the city are small shops, but out on the edge of town are more shopping centers. Every saturday and sunday till about 12 am there is a market in the old city (next to the St. Kancijan church). There are four shopping centres at the other side of the city:
- Qlandia Kranj, Cesta 1. maja 77, . edit
- Planet Tuš Kranj, Cesta Jake Platiše 18, . You can also find the cinema, bowling centre and billards here. edit
- Mercator center Primskovo and Stop.Shop.Kranj, Cesta Staneta Žagarja 69. edit
- Shopping centre Supernova, Stara cesta 25. edit
- Gostilna Kot, Maistrov trg 4 (In the old town), ☎ +386 4 202 6 105 ([email protected]), . M-F 7am-10pm, Sa 7am-6pm, Su closed. Slovenian cuisine. edit
- Restavracija Sonet, Prešernova 6 (In the old town), ☎ +386 31 256 059 ([email protected]), . M-F 6pm-10pm, Sa 12am-10pm, Su closed. Slovenian cuisine. edit
- Gostilna Pr'Matičku, Jezerska cesta 41 (5 min from the city center), ☎ +386 4 234 3 360 ([email protected]), . M-Sa 12am-12pm, Su closed. Slovenian cuisine, rustic atmosphere. edit
- Gostilna Krištof, Predoslje 22 (10 min from the city center), ☎ +386 4 234 1 030 ([email protected]), . M-Sa 12am-12pm, Su 12am-5pm. Slovenian and local cuisine. edit
- Picerija Tonač, Grmičeva 1 (10 min from the city center), ☎ +386 4 235 3 030 ([email protected]), . edit
- Layerjeva hiša, Tomšičeva 32, . Have a coffee with beautiful view. edit
- Khislstein 12.56, Tomšičeva 44. Located in Khislstein castle next to small park with nice view to Šmarjetna gora. edit
- Stara pošta, Koroška cesta 2. At the top of the building there is a nice cafe, where you can enjoy the view of the old city centre. edit
- Randez Vous, Oprešnikova ulica 28, . This cafe offers a large selection of cakes and other deserts. edit
- Kavarna Storžič, Slovenski trg 8. Located to main square in Kranj, 1 minute walk to old city centre. edit
- Carniola, Gregorčičeva 2. Located next to the city centre. Here you can try kremšnita, local desert, especially well known in Bled, cakes and many more. edit
- Brioni, Koroška cesta 10. Also a restaurant. edit
- Evropa, Poštna ulica 3. Confectionery and a cafe, located at the old city centre, opposite from mail post office. edit
- Teater cafe, Glavni trg 8. Cafe next to the Prešeren theatre, right in the city centre. edit
- Rona caffe, Šuceva ulica 25. On the other side of the city, located at shopping centre. edit
- Rock Bar Down Town, Gregorčičeva 6. For rock-music fans. edit
- Rondo bar, Šuceva ulica 27. A bar, popular among young people. edit
- Irish pub Kranj, Cesta Staneta Žagarja 16, . A taste od Ireland in Kranj. edit
- KluBar, Slovenski trg 7 (Located in city centre), . ""Popular. edit
- KluBar, Slovenski trg 7 (In the city centre), ([email protected]), . M-W 7am-12pm, Th-F 6am-3am, Sa 9am-3am, Su 3pm-12pm. For events check out their web page. edit
- Hostel Cukrarna, Tavčarjeva ulica 9 (In old city centre with view of Kokra canyon), ☎ 00 386 51 78 88 87 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00 – 22:00; checkout: 11:00. Located in the medieval town centre of Kranj, on the cliff of a canyon, above an Alpine river, Cukrarna offers you everything you need for a pleasant stay. Breakfast included. From 12€. edit
- Hotel Azul Kranj near Ljubljana airport (Hotel Azul Kranj), Suceva 27 (5km north west from airport Ljubljana), ☎ +386 8 2000 300 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. Hotel Azul is a newly built hotel near Ljubljana airport, located on the suburbs of town Kranj in the new commercial center. On 3 sides it is surrounded with grass fields and farm fields which extend into woods. From west to east there is a beautiful view of mountains. There are a few skiing resorts in the 10km-30km radius and in the warmer months there is plenty of opportunity for summer sports like hiking, mountain climbing, cycling, mountain biking, paragliding, golf and other nature related recreation activities. Hotel Azul has conference room capabilities and is 15 min drive away from capital city Ljubljana making it a convenient location to do business. 60 EUR. (46.24492,14.37902) edit
- Hotel Creina****, Koroška cesta 5 (Next to the old city centre, 10 minutes by foot from central bus station. 5km from Ljubljana airport.), ☎ +386 4 281 75 00 ([email protected]), . The Hotel Creina is ideally located for a break in the heart of Kranj, the historical, cultural and sporting centre of Gorenjska, where you are just a step away from the urban city life, as well as the beautiful countryside all around the town. edit
- Boutique hotel Actum****, Prešernova ulica 6 (In old city centre on main street), ☎ +386 (0)590 82 400, . Boutique hotel Actum is the newest hotel in the historcal centre of Kranj, only steps ways from monuments, shops and museums. From 90€. edit
- Hotel Brdo****, Predoslje 39 (A few kilometers outside the city, near The Brdo estate), ☎ 00 386 (0)4 260 10 00 ([email protected]), . The four star Brdo Hotel is a business hotel with a location suited to a variety of purposes. Alongside the comfortably furnished rooms there is also a wellness centre, 24-hour fitness room and a wide selection of food and drink in the restaurant and bar. edit
- Bled - the most picturesque town in Slovenia, with a scenic lake with an island church, overlooked by a castle. Only 40 min from Kranj.
- Ljubljana - visit the capital of Slovenia. Ljubljana Castle is one of the most beautiful sights. 30 minutes from Kranj with bus/train.
- Triglav National Park and the Julian Alps - a paradise for outdoor adventurers. Opportunities abound for hiking, mountaineering, rafting, canyoning, paragliding, skydiving, etc...Located just outside of Bled
- Bohinj - Bohinj lake is one of the most beautiful natural sights in Upper Carniola.
- Škofja Loka - this beautiful medieval city with gorgeous castle is just 15 min from Kranj.
- Kamnik - button-cute little town 30 min from Kranj, just below the Kamnik Alps. It has a perfectly preserved medieval town center.