Calicut , formerly Kozhikode, is one of the major cities in Kerala, India.
Kozhikode was the capital of Malabar during the time of Zamorins, who where ruling before the British Rule in India. It was trading in spices like black pepper and cardamom with the Jews, Arabs, Phoenicians and the Chinese for centuries, and with the Dutch and Portuguese more than 500 years ago.
The Portuguese were the first foreigners to find this land, the gateway to Kerala, famous for spices.
This city is famous for receiving Vasco da Gama in 1498. He landed on the remote beach of Kappad, which is 18 km away from the Calicut City.
The English word calico, a cotton textile, originated from this city's name "Calicut".
- Kozhikode has an international airport  and many Indian and international airlines have flights.
- Calicut (Kozhikode) is well-connected to Bombay (Mumbai) by daily flights operated by Jet Airways  and Indigo / Air India .
- There are also multiple daily flights to Bengaluru, Chennai and Hyderabad.
- You can also land at Mumbai International Airport  and catch train or flight to Kozhikode.
- Kozhikode is the major gateway of north Kerala expatriates to Middle East. As a result, Kozhikode is well connected with all Gulf cities by both Indian and Middle East airlines offering one stop connections to Europe and North America.
The railway station of Kozhikode (code: CLT) is well connected to other city of India. All reservation can be done on the IRCTC website.
Kozhikode to Chennai
There are four direct trains between Calicut (Kozhikode) and Madras (Chennai), each taking about twelve to eighteen hours for one-way travel.
Kozhikode to Mumbai
There are a handful of direct trains connecting Bombay (Mumbai) with Calicut (Kozhikode) via the picturesque Konkan Railway route. Typically, these trains take about 24 hours to cover around 1200 kilometres between Bombay (Mumbai) and Calicut (Kozhikode).
There are plenty of trains between Calicut (Kozhikode) and Cochin (Kochi) and Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram). Keep in mind that unless you reserve your seats, you may end up traveling in unreserved compartments and it can be a tiring experience because these trains can get very crowded.
There are bus services operating from cities like Kochi, Mangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, Chennai, Bangalore, Coimbatore to Kozhikode.
Kozhikode is well connected to other cities Mangalore, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Chennai, Bangalore, Coimbatore by road.
It is actually a pleasure to drive from Bangalore to Calicut through Gundulpet and Sulthan Battery. But be cautioned that the small stretch of jungle you have to pass through may have wild elephants and moving in late hours along in small vehicle is not advised.
April 2008: The Bangalore-Mysore-Gundulpet-Sultan Battery-Kalpetta-Kozhikode route is fantastic. I took this 'alternative' route to travel to Thrissur from Bangalore since I wanted to avoid the Salem route (which I hear is in a very poor state). The entire Bangalore-Kozhikode-Thrissur route is fantastic and I plan to continue to use this route going forward, till the Salem stretch gets better.
Many places of attractions are near by one another so you could walk between them.
Kozhikode has an excellent local bus service system and it is cheap. Your first choice should be travelling by Bus. Be aware that the busses can travel at neck-breaking speeds, but they are fairly safe.
This is cheap way of transport between attractions. Autos in Calicut are the most trust worthy of any in India. They have the best reputation of being truthful and being straight forward in their dealings similar to the ones in Bombay (Mumbai) and Pune.
Local taxis are also available at good rates. Normally, Taxis are not needed unless you plan to go way out of the city. If you want to move around in City, Autos and Buses are good enough. Taxis usually charge a flat charge and do not operate on meter.
- taxiGUIDE.in (Calicut Car Rental), ☎ +91 888 023 4455 ([email protected]), . Inquiry: 7am to 11pm. Calicut Car Rental services on taxiGUIDE.in Fares starting Rs.1222 for within city and Rs.9.5/km for outstation. edit
There are many rental companies offering cars with drivers or self drive.
- Mitaitheruvu for the sweets and halwas.
- Art Gallery - paintings of Raja Ravi Varma and Raja Raja Varma
- Beypore - A city in the mouth of Beypore river, traditional boat(Urus)-building yard, old port, fishing harbour
- Canolly Canal - boating (Canolly Canal is such a place as there are many opportunities in the Canolly Canal to take boat and just stroll down the canal for enjoyment. Canolly Canal is especially very enjoyable during the sun set times when tourists stroll down the canal in the small local boats that give you a historical déjà vu.)
- Dolphin's Point - Just 15 minutes from the city centre is a place called Dolphin's Point, where one can see dolphins playing in the sea of an early morning.
- Elathur - boating (A very beautiful town as it has a lake that borders it on one side and on the other side; Elathur is bordered by a river. Thus, this unique composition allows Elathur to be a very well sought out place that must be seen by travelers who come to India for its rich heritage.)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium - Located opposite the musical fountain is the Jawaharlal Nehru planetarium where you get a chance to unravel the mysteries of outer space.
- Kadalundi - bird sanctuary, boating
- Kakkayam - trekking and rock climbing through river path, enjoying numerous water falls.
- Kallai - Once the bustling nerve-centre of Kozhikode's timber trade, said to have been the largest such trading centre in Asia. Today, though some business does take place, hard times have fallen on the timber trade and Kallai is just a shadow of its busy past.
- Kappad - Kappad see shore is famous because Vasco Da Gamma landed here in 1498 from Europe.
- Kirtads - Special museum that shows us glimpses of the past. The main area of concern in the Museum is The Kerala tribe communities of the ancient times. You can find many tools and weapons that were used in the era of the Kerala. In addition, there is a vast anthropological library and an archeological library that has much information on the past history and tribal life styles of ancient India.
- Korapuzha - venue of the Korapuzha Jalotsav (water festival)
- Kozhikode Beach - hundred years old lighthouse and the two crumbling pier
- Kozhippara Water Falls - Ideal location for trekking and swimming ,with river side forests ,situated in Kakkadampoyil on the Malappuram -Calicut District border,can reach there by road.
- Krishna Menon Museum - dedicated to late V K Krishna Menon, the former Foreign minister and Defence minister of India.
- Lion's Park - Situated just next to the famous Calicut Beach. A great theme park with many rides for the children as well as many attractions for the parents. Lion's Park has the very good view of the sunset that is unparalleled in many places.
- Mananchira Maidan - The palace tank of King Mana Vikrama, still used as venue of various festival.
- Payyoli - historical place, old fort and mosque of the Kunjali Marakkar.
- Pazhassiraja Museum - copies of ancient mural paintings, antique bronzes, coins, temple models and megalithic monuments.
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam - Boating facilities, birds sanctuary, crocodile farm.
- S M Street - Sweet Meat Street is the busiest street in Kozhikode
- Tali Temple - One of the oldest and the most ancient temples around. It is a very distinct temple, and its history goes all the way back to the times of the Zamorin ruler in 14th century builted by Swami Thirumulpad, the Zamorian.
- Thikkoti Light House - 1847 build
- Tusharagiri - Famous for trekking tracks, with waterfall, evergreen dense forests with exotic birds and wild animals on the way.
- Vadakara - A city on bank of Kuttiyadi river, famous 1500 year old Lokanarkavu Bhagavathi Temple, rock cut caves with murals and carvings.
- Vellari Mala - waterfalls, velvet green landscapes, place for trekking.
- Wayanad Ghats - enroute to Wayanad with nine hairpin bends
- Meenchanda - samudhiri royal familys fort that now in NSS high school
- Lambda Gaming - A video game center where gamers can interact and discuss all things related to gaming. Located at Hilite Mall, Palazhi, this one of a kind community is a favourite among the youngsters of the area.
Water pipe enthusiasts should look out for the Koyilandy Hookah, made in the nearby town of Koyilandy. Preparation of an average hookah requires up to 1.5 kg of copper, 1.5 kg of zinc and half kg silver. It takes a week to prepare a Hookah.Available in different sizes (12 to 24 inches), these Hookah are sold anywhere around rupees 500 to 1500. Specially crafted Hookah come at rupees 15,000.
One way to to procure one of these, you could contact the Kozhikode District Handicrafts Artisans Co-op society. They have several pieces ready and can polish it and give it to you within an hour. These range from Rs. 1200 to Rs. 2500 depending on the size. They can also ship it to you in India (not sure if they ship to places outside India). Their contact number is 0496 2623151.
- HI Lite mall, thondayad. Currently the largest mall in kozhikode there are many branded shops,a food court ,a supermarket,a fine dining restraunt and kid,s entertainment thing called the crazy jungle edit
- Focus mall, mavoor road. edit
- RP mall, near central bus stand. edit
Malabar cuisine is quite popular among gourmands. The midly flavored, gently cooked Malabar Biriyanis are a must eat when visiting Calicut. The mutton is cooked tender, the rice flaky and delicately spiced with the right portions of condiments, to leave the taste lingering for long.
The Famous destinations for Calicut food are 1. Paragon Hotel 2. Bombay Hotel 3. sagar hotel 4. mezban etc
The side-dishes include `alisa'( husked wheat cooked with chicken).
In seafood, mussels are a favorite. A concoction of mussel and rice flour, cooked in the shell is called arikadaka.
As a sweet, you should not miss the Calicut Halwa. Different varieties are available in almost all bakeries in the city.
- Gates Restaurant, Malabar Gate Hotel (Ram Mohan Road), ☎ 04954088999, . 0730-2230. Restaurant serving Buffet Breakfast / A la carte Lunch & Dinner. edit
Kozhikode does not really have any proper pubs. Most bars have A/C and non-A/C sections. Smoking is prohibited in A/C sections. Non-A/C sections usually allow you to smoke, although this is usually in violation of the law. Although there is no law determining closing time, most bars close between 10:30pm - 11:00pm.
Some of the more upscale places to drink are:
- The Gateway Hotel (formerly known as TAJ RESIDENCY, Calicut),P.T.Usha Road , Tel : +91 495 6613000 email : [email protected]
- Kadavu Resorts, NH Bye Pass Road, .
- The Captain's Cabin in Fortune Hotel, Kannur Road, +91-11-45566666.
Mid range places include:
- Sea Queen, Beach Road. Sea Queen has a separate smoking area and is the one of the only decent places that lets you smoke while seated.
- Hotel Sasthapuri, M.M. Ali Road, near Palayam Bus Stand. Sasthapuri has a roof garden which opens from 5pm and is the only decent place (other than Sea Queen) that allows you to smoke while seated.
- Amrutha, Mavoor Road, near Poothiya (New) Bus Stand.
Several other low end bars can be found in Kozhikode.
- The Gateway Hotel (Formerly Known as TAJ RESIDENCY, Calicut) ,P.T.Usha Road , Tel : +91 495 6613000 email : [email protected] Check In 1400 hrs Check Out 1200 Noon
- Dreams The Mall and Hotel satra galleria,Mavoor road, calicut.
- Kadavu Resorts, NH Bye Pass Road, .
- Fortune Hotel Calicut, Kannur Road, +91-11-45566666.
- Hotel De Grand heritage, rajaji road ,calicut.
- Hotel Span Calicut, Jail Road, Calicut 4 
- Hotel Maharani, Taluk Road, Puthiyara, Calicut 4 
- Hotel Renaisance, Ram mohan road ,calicut.
- Kappad resort, Kappad ,calicut.
- Tusharagiri resorts, Tusharagiri ,calicut.
- Hotel Alakapuri, palayam road ,calicut
- Hotel salkara, East nadakkavu, calicut.
- Hotel Malabar Gate, Ram Mohan Road ,Kozhikode.Tel:+914954088999.E-mail:[email protected]:www.hotelmalabargate.com In Room Dining | Individually controlled Air Conditioning |IDD Telephone | Colour Television with satellite channels | Round the Clock running Hot & Cold Water | Hairdryer on Request | Mini fridge in Deluxe Rooms & Suites | Laundry facility | Health Club | Ayurveda Centre | Safety Locker facility | Doctor on Call | Business Centre | Foreign Exchange | Travel Desk | Ample Car Parking| All major Credit Cards accepted.
Distance from the Hotel to:
Calicut International Airport : 26 kms
KSRTC Bus Station : 01 kms
Mofussil Bus Station : 01 kms
Kozhikode Railway Station : 01 kms
Gates - Multi cuisine Restaurant - 1200 PM to 2230 PM
Café Gates - Coffee Shop - 0700 AM to 2230 PM
- Hotel Malabar Mansion,SM Street, Calicut.
- Hotel Malabar palace,Manuelsons, Junction, G.H. Road, Calicut.
- sea queen hotel, beach road calicut (south end of beach). checkin: 12oclock; checkout: 12. 1800. edit
In general, Kozhikode [Calicut] is a safe city, however crime is not unheard of.
In 2003 there was a massacre known as the Marad massacre, but it was an isolated incident. Be careful when crossing the roads.
Wayanad District, famous for scenic locations is nearby with District Headquarters Kalpetta 68 km away and Sulthan Bathery 90 km away.
Palakkad, which has a number of tourist attractions like the Malampuzha gardens, is 140 km away by road.