is a city in Southern Finland
Kotka, Finnish for "eagle", is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Kymenlaakso region. The municipality has a population of 54,860 (2005) and covers an area of 750 km² of which 478 km² is water. The population density is 204 inhabitants per km². Kotka is the largest town in Kymenlaakso region. The city centre of Kotka is located at Kotka's Island (Kotkansaari).
Unfortunately there are no fast InterCity or Pendolino trains to Kotka, but slower yet acceptably quick trains connect Kotka to Kouvola where you can change trains to get into Helsinki and numerous other destinations.
Route E18 connects Kotka to Helsinki, Pyhtää, Hamina and Saint Petersburg. Also highway 15 connects Kotka to Kouvola.
Bus companies operate frequently to Helsinki and other cities, even Saint Petersburg in Russia. Bus to Helsinki costs 28 e (adult), half the price with Finnish student card. Sometimes bus companies have offers (Matkahuolto and Pohjolan liikenne) even they are actually the same buses. Another bus company goes via Karhula to Helsinki and is cheaper Vuorelan liikenne, check out timetable. A newly established budget bus company OnniBus has started to commute between Helsinki and Kotka in the beginning of July 2014. Reserving the ticket from OnniBus early enough via internet, you might get it as cheap as 1€.
Centre of the city, Kotkansaari (Island of Kotka) is small enough to get around by feet. However if you need to go to other parts of the city you should use bus, take a taxi or rent a car. Check bus schedules from www.kotka.fi/aikataulut. You can call a taxi from number 10041.
- Maretarium Aquarium. Almost all Finnish fish species.
- Sapokka Park. Ponds, trees, flowers, a waterfall, a rock exhibition.
- Langinkoski Imperial Fishing Lodge and Nature Reserve. This old fishing lodge was made of timber in 1889 for Russian Emperor & Grand Duke Alexander the Third. It is situated in beautiful surroundings with rapids, trees and small rivers. The area of the nature reserve consists 28 hectares (60 acres). There is also a small Orthodox Chapel on the area. The entrance to the nature reserve is free and the entrance to the Fishing Lodge about 4 euros (children 2 euros). Langinkoski is situated about 7 kilometers from the city centre.
- Maritime Centre Vellamo is an architectural masterpiece in the old port of Kotka. In addition to the exhibition, work, teaching and seminar facilities of the Maritime Museum of Finland and Museum of Kymenlaakso, the building will house a 200-seat auditorium, museum shop, restaurant and an extensive library with emphasis on maritime topics.
- Orthodox Church of St Nicholas. The present Church of St Nicholas was built between 1799 and 1801 in accordance with drawings by Jakov Perrin, architect of the St Petersburg Admiralty. The columns at the three entrances together with the belfry and dome of this church representing Neoclassicism form an impressive facade. The icons and several objects inside the church are very beautiful. One of the most extraordinary icons depicts St Nicholas in Kotkansaari, with a view of the area of the Ruotsinsalmi naval battle behind him. Outside the church, there is a statue of Maria Purpur, who is reputed to have prevented the destruction of the church during the Crimean War. The church is the oldest building in today’s Kotka. edit
- Cruises to Kaunissaari Island. Kaunissaari (literally Beautiful Island) Island is a traditional, small but still lively fisherman village. Boats from Sapokka Harbour (in front of Maretarium Aquarium) about 2-3 times a day in the summer. Tickets are sold on boats. On the island you find a very small museum, a restaurant (good fish dishes) and accommodation. Remember to taste extremely delicious salmon pastries which are sold at a kiosk near the museum.
- Cruises to the islands of Tammio (only one permanent inhabitant!), Ulkotammio and Haapasaari (10 inhabitants, 25 kilometers from Kotka).
- From April to October local football team KTP plays their home games at Arto Tolsa-Areena. November to April KTP's basketball team compete in Finnish premier league. Both teams have proper support, and athmosphere is good - at least in finnish standards.
- Kymenlaakso University of Applied Sciences.  is a multi-disciplinary institute right next to to the capital region: in Kotka, Kouvola and Kuusankoski.
- Pasaati shopping centre, Keskuskatu 10, 48100 Kotka, . Pasaati is a large shopping centre right in the centre of Kotka. It has shops for every taste and is particularly full of Russian shopping tourists. edit
- Jumalniemi, Jumalniementie 7-10. Jumalniemi shopping area can be found from the E18 road. It's full of different automarkets. edit
Cheap places to eat include:
- Erkan Kebab, Keskuskatu 35. Standard-issue Finnish-style kebab.
- Hot dog stand, at the corner of Keskuskatu and Kaivokatu. As traditional Finnish night food as it gets. Start with Lihapiirakka Kahdella Nakilla (small meat pie with two frankfurters) and take it from there.
- Rosso Italian style restaurant offers mainly pizza and salad bar, some other plates as well. Located on the first floor of PASAATI shopping center.
- Ravintola Oliivi, Kapteeninkatu 14. Traditional Finnish food. Open at lunch time, which is Mon-Thu 10:30-15:30 and Fri 10:30-13:30.
- Bar Soolo, (Kirkkokatu 8, 48100 Kotka). Karaoke and night club. Entrance is only 2,5 e. *<drink name="Pub Jaakko V" alt="" address="" directions="Kirkkokatu 10, 48100 Kotka" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="">English style pub. Live music at weekends and good beer selection. *<drink name="Sokos Hotel Seurahuone" alt="Amarillo,Hello!,Banketti" directions= "Keskuskatu 21">Three dance floors,kitchen in Amarillo. Entrance 8 e at weekends. edit
- NEXT Hotel Karhulan Hovi (Karhulan Hovi), Ahlströmintie 26, ☎ +358 10 234 6710 ([email protected]), . French style manor in Karhula, 9km from Kotka downtown. edit
- Seurakuja rental villa, Suomen Kotteria Oy, Seurakuja 6, Kotka, ☎ +358 400 868889 ([email protected]), . A rental villa by the sea for 16 people. There is a wooden heated sauna and two fireplace. 6 bedrooms and more sleeping facilities on the loft. A rowing-boat available and a motor-boat to be rented. edit
- Struka rental villa, Savantum Oy, Strukantie 24, 49270 Pyhtää, ☎ +358 400 868889 ([email protected]), . Struka villa is located in Pyhtää, about 20 kilometers from Kotka center. Struka rental villa is by the beautiful river for 12 people. There is a wooden heated sauna and a fireplace. Four bedrooms and more sleeping facilities on the loft. A pool-table on the loft. A rowing-boat available and a motor-boat to be rented. edit
You can go more or less anywhere in Kotka any time of the day. Although Kotka has its share of violence and drug use, violent crime happens mostly between addicts and criminals themselves. Robbings are very uncommon.
You might want to avoid jumping a line anywhere during the night, particularly at Finnish hot dog stands ("nakkikioski"). Drunken fights are not unheard of.