Kotagiri is a beautiful Hills Station located in the Nilgiris Hills. About 33 km southeast of Ooty. It is believed to have the world's second best climate.
Ooty is suffering from over attention. Kotagiri is very peaceful and cheap, but it has all the qualities of Ooty.
Kotagiri can be reached only by Road. From Coimbatore it is 66 km via Mettupalayam. From Mettupalayam it is 33 km. From Coonoor it is 23 km. From Ooty it is 28 km.
There are frequent buses from all the above places. You can hire tourist taxis from these places at a nominal charges
Direct buses to Kotagiri are a little crowded when you board them from Mettupalayam. It is advisable to go to Coonoor first and then take a bus to Kotagiri.
Taxi and Autorikshas are freely available. Only Taxis are available after eight p.m.
- Tea Gardens
- Kodanad View Point
- The town is surrounded by many tourist spots. One very popular place is the Kodanad View Point. Accessible by road, 16 km (10 miles) from Kotagiri or about 30 minutes by vehicle, it provides a splendid view of the great Mysore Plateau to one side and the picturesque 500 acre farming cooperative called Thengu mara haada, which seems like a green mosaic amidst the shrubland; lazily meandering this little village is the Bhavani River.
- John Sullivan's bungalow, the one he built during his stay, has been renovated and is open to the public. It is located in Kannerimukku, about 20 minutes from the main town.
- Located within Kotagiri town, Longwood forest, a pristine tropical evergreen forest is a secluded refuge for those seeking peace and quiet, it is home to the flying fox/Malabar Squirrel (a large arboreal squirrel) that is rarely seen, there is also a resident family of about 20 bison which can be seen grazing in the evenings just outside the forest on Milidhane road.
- The Nehru Park in the town has a big complex which houses a temple of the Kotas, the Gandhi Maidanam which is the public playground, congregation centre and the flood shelter which is used in normal times for indoor games. A private park about 3 km from the town on coonoor road specialises in roses and is a must see in the months, March to June.
Other places of interest are the St.Catherine waterfalls near Aravenu, the Uyilatty falls, 15km from Kotagiri town and the 1,785 m (5,856 feet) high Rangasamy Peak. It is a conical peak and is the most sacred hill on the plateau. Being the Holy deity of the Nilgiris, this shrine is visited by thousands of pilgrims from the 'Kongu' region and other places every year. According to Hindu Legend, Lord Rangaswamy used to live at Karamadai in Coimbatore district on the plains but quarrelled with his wife and came to live alone here. Two-foot prints on the rock not far from Arakadu village below the peak, are stated to be the proof for this event.
- On the northwest of Rangaswamy Peak, after "The Denad village" is found the Rangaswamy Pillar, which is an extraordinary isolated rocky pillar rising in solitary grandeur to a height of some 400 feet narrow and has sheer sides, which are quite unclimbable. Kil-kotagiri, Sholurmattam, Karagodumattam and Kadasholai are the places enroute to the Rangaswamy peak.
Kotagiri abounds in big european style bungalows built by the British and most of them retain their englishness, are still very habitable and have been conveted into upmarket homestays. New constructions too are aplenty but at the cost of aesthetics.
There are numerous tea factories producing the famous Nilgiri tea. The famous Nilgiri thailam (Eucalyptus oil) is distilled in small shacks in a rudimentary manner.
Kotagiri also has some gold deposits, which were mined to levels possible during the days of the British Raj. Presently research is going on to determine if it would be possible to extract more gold from the mines.
There is also some considerable bauxite in the area.
Walk in the tea gardens. It is very refreshing but be careful of estate dogs. They become more aggressive on finding someone walk with a stick.
Hotel Kasthuri is a budget vegetarian restaurant.
Hotel Suzuki near main bus stand is budget non-vegetarian restaurant. It serves best biryani, parota, kottu parota and chilly chicken.
Very tasty samoosa is available opposite the private busstand.
Spicy soya fry is also available on the same spot for Rs.10 only.
And also available economy non-veg food at HARI MESS in Donington Road
Royal Bakery and Golden Bakery and few others have the famous Plum cake loved by the locals and varkey. These are also around Johnstone square.
- Prana Restaurant (Nahar Retreat & Spa), Kota Hall Rd, Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu 643217, India (Opposite Mount Don Bosco), ☎ 0426 6273300, . Excellent Multi-cuisine Vegetarian Restaurant that also serves Jain food. edit
Hot Fresh tea is special in the cool climate. You get different favours of tea like Chocolate, Ilaichi, Ginger, Lemon etc.
- The Door to Nirvana Hostel, (Located 2.5 Kms from Aravenu Junction), ☎ +91-8805479801. One of the most affordable and cozy accommodation with a great view. The first backpackers hostel in Kotagiri. You can get there by local buses from Kotagiri. Or take a local bus to Aravenu and get a jeep ride. If the weather is calm, best way is to trek down to the hostel. With a lot of common areas and the hostel being right in between the tea estate, you will feel like heaven and never get bored of the serene view for even a minute. You can spot Indian Gaur (Bisons) on the opposite mountain grazing the leaves and some other wild animals too if you're lucky enough. edit
- The Wooden Homes, (3 km from the Aravenu Junction), ☎ 9363125437/8050085585. On a roadside overlooking tea plantations on all sides, this laid-back resort is 7 km each from scenic Catherine Falls and Nehru Park. The 8 warm 1-bedroom wood cottages, some featuring colourful decor, have flat-screen TVs, en suite wet rooms, and living rooms with sofabeds, plus kitchenettes and furnished decks. Snug huts are available, as are 2-storey villas for up to 12 guests. Breakfast is complimentary. Amenities include a casual restaurant and outdoor seating. Bonfires and parking are available. edit
- V Resorts Kotagiri Villa* (A place to come and relax inside tea estate with quality luxuru rooms at least cost) 09540181386.
- Marsh Villa, Darmona Bungalow Road, 25/85, 86, 87, Kotagiri-643217, Nilgiris., ☎ +91-04266-271331, . checkin: 12:30 pm; checkout: 11:30 am. Marsh Villa' – for a luxury stay - A name synonymous with a real feel of comfort and luxury amid an enriching setting where nature, clad in its pristine beauty, embraces you. edit
- V Resorts Kotagiri, Ashiyana, Jacarandas,Vill. Naduhatty, Kotagiri, Nilgiris, Tamilnadu-643214, ☎ 01204004800, . Situated on the outskirts of the town the resort is surrounded by acres of tea estates. Guests can choose between Luxury rooms and Woodden Cottages, both of which offer great views of the Nilgiri hills & valleys and tea estate. There is a facility for indoor games like chess, carom in the activity area. The resort can also arrange for tea garden and factory visits and local tours. Starting INR 3099. edit
- Oak n Teas Villa Kotagiri, (Located 6 Kms from Kotagiri Bus Stand), ☎ +91-7006515766 ([email protected]), . checkin: flexible in off season; checkout: flexible in off season. This villa aims a solving the service attention issue in industry, it believes in principal of full attention and service to our guests. An excellent place located in middle of 4 acres of tea gardens. Price is not a factor for us. edit
- Nahar Retreat &Spa, Kota Hall Rd, Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu 643217 (Opposite Mount Don Bosco), ☎ +9194880 73300, . checkin: 12:30pm; checkout: 11:00am. edit