Eastern Kolkata is a district of Kolkata. It houses the IT hub of Eastern India, some shopping emporiums and some amusement parks.
East Kolkata comprises Salt Lake, Rajarhat Megacity, and areas along the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass.
There are numerous private, CSTC, CTC, White Liners and WBSTC buses which connect Eastern Kolkata with the heart of the city.
- Nicco Park, located near Salt Lake Sector V,it is the Disneyland for Kolkattans with its various adventure rides. Opened in 1991, Nicco park is one of the biggest amusement parks in the country and has innovative entertainment for all age group. This amusement park offers wholesome fun for children as well as adults and draws crowds from suburban Kolkata especially on the weekends.
- Nalban Boating Complex,adjoining Nicco Park, Nalban lake as the name suggests is mainly lakes and creeks (nal) fringed by groves (ban). It is a beautiful picnic spot for families, who would like to spend few hours in the lush greenery and placid lake. It is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Its unpolluted environment offers a respite and soothes the visitors.
- Aquatica Water Park , this theme water park offers visitors a cool respite from the heat and grime of city life. "With artificial waves buffeting you from all sides, tornadoes and dance floors, all ready to whip up a wet dream, Aquatica is the ultimate cool hangout," says Sushovan from Bhavanipur College.
Across the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass road you will find:
- Salt Lake Stadium,the stadium has the second largest non-auto racing capacity in the world and largest in the Indian sub-continent. It is currently used for football matches and athletics. The stadium was built in 1984 and holds 120,000 in a three-tier configuration.
- Swabhumi Heritage Park where one can sample local arts and crafts as well as some of the food from its various stalls.
- Science City, at the junction of Park Circus Connector, is one of the most spectacular science museums in the country. The sheer enormity of the Science City baffles the first time visitor. On hindsight, one may say that the Science City is a befitting tribute to Kolkata's contribution to the world of science, courtesy Meghnad Saha, Satyen Bose and others of their ilk. Website Of Science City
- China Town, is the only Chinatown in India. The locality was once home to 20,000 ethnic Chinese, now the population has dropped to 2,000 or so. The traditional occupation of the Chinese community here had been working in the nearby tanning industry and the Chinese restaurants. The area is still noted for the Chinese restaurants where many people flock to taste traditional Chinese and Indian Chinese food. Once there were many opium dens in the area. That type of establishment is now illegal in India.
- Club Prana, Hyatt Regency Kolkata Hotel, JA-1 Sector III, Salt Lake City, ☎ +91 33 2335 1234 ([email protected]), . edit
- Housez 43, Mirza Galib Street (It is 20 km from Netaji Subhas Airport, 7 km from Howrah Railway Station, and 0.5 km from the main shopping area of New Market.), ☎ +91 33 2227 6020 ([email protected]), . All rooms equipped with air-conditioning, TV, and private bath. Rates start at 4,950.00 INR. edit
- NRI Residency, C.I.T Road, Kankurgachi (located close to Salt Lake and the EM Bypass), ([email protected]), . offers guesthouse style accommodation with clean and large AC rooms with US style private bathrooms. Rs 900-1,000. edit
- Hyatt Regency, Eastern Metropolitan Bypass (in Salt Lake Sector III), ☎ +91 33 2335 1234 (fax: +91 33 2335 1235), . edit
- Hotel ITC Sonar Bangla Sheraton and Towers, 1 JBS Halden Avenue (next to Science City), ☎ +91 33 2345 4545 (fax: +91 33 2345 4455), . edit