Kittery is a small town in Maine, directly across from the New Hampshire border, that features a number of outlet stores.
It's only about an hour away from Boston on I-95 (in good traffic, of course), or a more leisurely, scenic drive on Route 1. The outlet store district is on Route 1, a half-mile north of I-95 (take Exit 3 from the highway).
Beware toll roads in nearby New Hampshire. The highways leading to and from the New Hampshire coast get crowded during good beach weather.
- Kittery Outlets, . Kittery has over 30 national major-brand clothing stores (including maternity, children's clothing, accessories, lingerie, and hosiery), over 20 shoe stores, and a reasonable selection of "active wear" and sports gear. There are over two dozen stores with housewares, plus a handful of miscellaneous outlets (candy, toys, jewelry) and services (fuel, restrooms, phones, banking, coffee, welcome center, etc.). edit
- Kittery Trading Post, 301 U.S. Route One, ☎ +1-888-KTP-MAINE (587-6246), . Established in 1938, this store has three floors containing the largest selection of outdoor items in New England. edit
- Mostly Maine, 40 US Route One, . Features thousands of items produced in Maine. edit
- Bob's Clam Hut, 315 US Route 1, ☎ +1-207-439-4233, . Offers an excellent lobster roll the way it should be served as well as (obviously) excellent fried clams. Food is served from a pickup window with both indoor and outdoor seating area. This restaurant has been around since 1956 and features a bit of New England atmosphere in addition to good food. $10-$20 for most items. edit
- Robert's Maine Grill, 326 Route 1, ☎ +1-207-439-0300 (fax: +1-207-439-2447), . Large classic Maine restaurant with an updated menu. Features a deck and a raw bar. $13-25 per item. edit
- Warren's Lobster House. Touts its salad bar as "the seacoast's best". Try the 'Super Bowl of Chowder' (Clam chowder with shrimp, scallops, and lobster). edit
- The Weathervane. The first restaurant in the regional chain, as well as its primary shipping point. edit
- Morrisons Lobsters, 11 Badgers Island West, ☎ (207) 439-2501. Lobsters, clams, and steamers. Fresh, local, cheap, BYOB. Their seafood is served on a deck overlooking the Piscataqua river, with a terrific view of nearby Portsmouth. edit
There are a number of motels and inns that line Route 1, all conveniently located near the outlet malls.
- Ramada Kittery in Maine, 2 Gorges Road, ☎ (207) 439-5555, . Few miles away from beaches of New Hampshire and Southern Maine. Pet friendly, business center, and in-suite entertainment. edit
- Kittery Inn and Suites, 70 US-1 Bypass, ☎ (207)439-9324 ([email protected]), . Enjoy all the comforts of a well-appointed hotel, the ambiance and peacefulness of camping, and the charm of discovering something local. $70-$125. edit
Freeport - Has more outlet stores.