Kihei is a small town of 21,000 located on Maui's South Shore. It is the most populous town in South Maui, with a large supply of hotels, condos, shops and houses. Kihei is known to be one of the hottest places to stay on Maui (temperature-wise) because it doesn't get the breezes that other parts of the island get (perfect for that winter getaway).
Sunset on Kamaole Beach in Kihei
Kihei does get a strong trade wind in the summer that can blow as hard as 25 mph every afternoon. This is usually during the months of April till September and early October. May through November averages 88 degrees. The coolest months of the year are December through April when the high averages 82 degrees. Kihei gets only 12 inches of rain per year, most of it falling in the December-January-February timeframe. Expect sunny skies and warm weather year-round.
Maui's main airport, Kahului Airport, will be the primary access to the island. From Kahului, follow the signs to Kihei, and it should lead you to Highway 311 (Mokulele Highway). Once you reach Kihei, it becomes Highway 31 (Pi'ilani Highway). It is about 12 miles (20 km) from the Airport to Kihei and it will take 20-30 minutes to drive.
Kihei is a sprawling place, strung out along the coast for several miles but never more than a mile wide. The main road north-south along the ocean is South Kihei Road and it contains almost all the hotels, condos, restaurants, shops and beaches. If you are staying in the area and don't mind a bit of walking, you can probably get to most things you need without needing a car. If you do drive, the strip malls have their usual adequate free parking.
The Pi'ilani Highway (Highway 31), about half a mile inland, runs parallel to South Kihei Road and connects with the Mokulele Highway coming down from Kahului. There are quite a few streets that connect the highway with South Kihei Road, so if you're looking to go anywhere other than Kihei, this is the road to take. Note, when asking for directions, no locals will know what "Highway 31" is, they will know it as Pi'ilani Highway. The numbers of highways are seldom posted, and are not known by anyone on island.
Both South Kihei Road and the Pi'ilani Highway have bike lanes, so cyclists should have a bit of space on the roads.
- Maui Car Rental 866-344-7612 Maui Car Rental Car rentals on Maui. Locations at Kahului Airport OGG, Kapalua Airport JHM and Kihei/Wailea.
- During the winter months, humpback whales can be spotted from the shore.
- Get a massage
- Shayla Massage 
- Maui Massage 
- Maui's Best Massage 
- Go sailing, Kai Kanani Sailing Charters, 34 Wailea Gateway Pl Ste A105, ☎ +1 808 879-7218, . edit
- Go snorkeling. There is some nice coral around Kamaole Beach Park III or take one of the snorkel cruises that depart from the Kihei Boat Ramp. You can rent or buy snorkel gear a local shops like Snorkel Bob's  and Maui Dive Shop . For info on snorkeling south of Kihei visit the Maui page.
- Go swimming at one of the many beaches. The trio of Kamaole Beaches - Kamaole Beach Park I, II and II - are probably the nicest (and busiest) of the Kihei beaches. They each have their own changing rooms although parking is limited if you bring a car
- Go Surfing! A popular surf spot for beginners is the Kihei Cove, just south of the "Triangle" . You can rent boards and get lessons just across the street.
- Go to a luau which feature Polynesian music and dancing. Several resorts host them on various nights of the week. Most feature a buffet dinner, and unlimited drinks.
- Visit Kealia Pond National Wildlife Refuge, . is a good place observe Hawaii's endangered wetland birds, along with a diversity of feathered visitors from as far away as Alaska and Canada, and occasionally from Asia. Best season to visit is the winter. Best time of day is in the morning. edit
- Walk along the beach.
- Watch the sunrise at the top of Haleakala.
- Go whale-watching
- Maui Kayak Adventures, 551 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753, ☎ (808) 442-6465, . edit
Most of Kihei's restaurants and grocery stores are strung out along South Kihei
There are both supermarkets and smaller food shops along South Kihei Road. Some of the supermarkets can also serve as a restaurant as they sell warm cooked food that is cheaper (and sometimes tastier) than what you find in restaurants.
- Foodland, Kihei Town Center, ☎ +1 808 879-9350. edit
- Longs Drug Store, 1215 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 808 879-2033. Limited groceries and a good wine selection. edit
- Times Market (Was Star Market), 1310 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 808 442-4750. Renovated after conversion to Times. Has a good selection of cooked food to make your own meal and eat on the nearby beach. edit
- Safeway, 277 Piikea Ave, ☎ +1 808 891-9120. edit
Following is a list of nearly every restaurant in Kihei in order from North to South.
- Monsoon India - Get the Chicken Makhni. BYOB
The following are at the Longs Drugs Plaza at 1215 South Kihei Rd:
- McDonalds- The only golden arches in South Maui
- Antonio’s - Great personal size pizza’s.
- Sushi Paradise- Highly rated sushi.
The following are at Azeka Plaza (Mauka and Makai) 1279 South Kihei Road:
- Coconut's Fish Cafe, ☎ 808-875-9979, . 11am-9pm daily. The best surf n turf rated by many organizations. More than fair prices and family owned. Everything fresh. Casual setting. edit
- Peggy Sues - old timey diner style.
- Panda Express - decent chinese fast food
- Jack in the Box- yuck.
- Diamonds - Quiet bar atmosphere, Decent food.
- Vietnamese Cuisine -
- Taco Bell - Yo Quiero?
- Ono Gelato- Good Gelato
- Royal Thai - Not the best Thai food in town, but ok.
The following are at Lipoa Plaza - 41 East Lipoa:
- Sharky’s - Sort of a low budget Chucky Cheeze. It has games and a pirate ship for kids to climb on.
- Amigo’s - OK mexican
The following are at Safeway Plaza - 247 Piikea Street:
- Starbucks - Pick up some Starbucks 100% Kona coffee and special Maui cups only found in Hawaii.
- Jamba Juice - juice's galore
- Ba Le - Vietnamse fast food
- Maui Tacos - Good fresh Mexican food. Love the chicken quesadilla. Cheap.
- Subway -
- L&L Barbeque - This is the food “locals” eat. THE place to get a spam sandwich. Cheap.
- Brother Willies BBQ - Great BBQ!
- Coldstone Creamery Ice Cream - Best ice cream on the island.
- Outback Steakhouse - steaks and chicken.
- Ruby Tuesday - the usual
- Round Table Pizza - Good pizza, great salad bar DELIVERY (808) 874-8485
- Pizza Madness - Great Pizza, small bar inside DELIVERY (808) 270-9888
- Eskimo Candy 2665 Wai Wai Pl Great sushi in what looks like a warehouse
- Shaka Pizza 1770 South Kihei - good pizza. DELIVERY (808) 874-0331
The following are at Kukui Mall - 1819 South Kihei Road:
- Fat Boy Burger - Best Burgers in town.
- Mama’s Ribs - good cheap ribs
- Thailand Cuisine - Not the best of the three Thai restaurants in town.
The following are at Foodland Plaza:
- Sansei - Possibly the best restaurant in Kihei! Fantastic sushi. They have a 50% off special
- Cuatro Restaurant, ☎ 808-879-1110, . 4pm-10pm daily. Fresh seafood with an upscale atmosphere. reservations recommended. Mid-range spending. edit
- Fat Daddy's Smokehouse & BBQ, 1913 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 808 879-8711, . edit
- Alexander's Fish, Chicken & Chips, 1913 S Kihei Rd (across from Kalama Park), ☎ +1 808 874-0788, . Popular takeaway fish and chips place with some outside seating. Fish can be cooked traditional deep fried, grilled or dusted with Cajun spices. $8-12. edit
- Three's Bar & Grill, 1945 S Kihei Rd Ste G, ☎ +1 808 879-3133, . edit
- Joy’s Place- Vegetarian food.
- Spices Restaurant, 2259 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 808 891-8860, . Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The small appetites breakfast is good value (for example - 2 eggs, toast and coffee for $4.95); dinner is more expensive. edit
The following are at Dolphin Plaza 2395 South Kihei Rd:
- Taqueria Cruz - Very good mexican food and cheap! BYOB
- Cafe a la Plage - Pretty much the only bagel place in Kihei. Great breakfast sandwiches
- Pizza Hut -
The following are at 2411 South Kihei Road:
- Maui Tacos - Good fresh Mexican food. Love the chicken quesadilla. Cheap. DELIVERY (808) 875-4881
The following are at Rainbow Plaza 2439 South Kihei Rd:
- Cafe O'Lei, 2439 S Kihei Rd #201A, ☎ +1 808 891-1368, . 10:30AM-3PM, 5PM-9PM. There are several Cafe O'Leis on Maui and all of them have wonderful food. The food is a high quality and prices are reasonable. The Kihei branch has lunch and dinner hours, and the one at the Dunes at Maui Lani has a breakfast menu. edit
- Da Kitchen - Real “local” food. Good pulled pork, teriyaki beef and chicken, but too salty for me.
- Maui Thai - Excellent Thai restaurant on Maui. 20% off if you are there before 6pm.
- 808 Deli 2511 S Kihei Rd - Great hot sandwiches, an excellent lunch choice near the beaches
- Fred’s - Great mexican food, and the BEST margaritas in Kihei! Get the strawberry frozen!
- Moose McGillyCuddy's Pub & Cafe, 2511 S Kihei Rd (across from Kamaole Beach Park II), ☎ +1 808 891-8600, . Restaurant on one side and bar on the other. Good to place to go if you want background noise and cheap pub-style eats. Has a three-hour happy hour every day and different special each night of the week. edit
The nightlife in Kihei is centered around an area of bars, restaurants, and shops known as the "Barmuda Triangle" or to locals just "The Triangle." All of the following bars are a short walk apart, and plenty of parking is available onsite. The crowd will be a mix of locals and tourists depending on the bar. You can usually catch a cab home from the Foodland parking lot next to "the Triangle". Alternatively, any bartender should be willing to call you a cab. Drinks cannot be carried from one bar to another. Last call is 1am. The area is safe, with many private security guards onsite, but reconsider walking home alone at closing time.
Ambrosia is a dark, sophisticated bar with an intimate dance floor and comfy couches. Hosts a mixture of LGBT and straight clientele.
- Dog & Duck, 1913 S Kihei Rd #N, ☎ +1 808 875-9669. edit
This cozy Irish bar has multiple TVs tuned to ESPN, with a full menu and bar. Thursday night at 7pm is their popular Trivia Night.
- South Shore Tiki Lounge, 1913 S Kihei Rd #J, ☎ +1 808 874-6444, . edit This tiki-themed restaurant has excellent pizza, live music nightly, and a dance floor that gets packed around midnight on weekends with local DJs spinning top 40 club jams.
- Lifes a Beach 1913 South Kihei Rd. - Has a nice patio =where you can watch the world go by, a cheap happy hour, lots of LOUD live music and so-so food.
- Fat Daddys Smokehouse 1913 South Kihei Rd - Has a small bar with very good Texas BarBQue.
- Three’s Bar and Grill 1913 South Kihei Rd - This restaurant/bar hosts lots of theme night and eclectic live shows for a small cover charge.
- Kahale’s Beach Club 1913 South Kihei Rd - Sort of a biker bar, but not in an unfriendly way. Serves mostly inexpensive microwavable bar food. Lots of live music.
- Days Inn Maui Oceanfront, 2980 S Kihei Rd, HI 96753, ☎ 808- 879-7744, . checkin: 3; checkout: 11. Conveniently Located At The Gateway Of Wailea In South Maui And Situated On Keawakapu Beach edit
Motels and inns
- Maui Coast Hotel, 2259 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 808 874-6284 (toll free: +1 800-895-6284, fax: +1 808 875-4731), . checkout: noon. Hotel located across the street from Kamaole Beach I. Has a pool, fitness center, tennis courts and will rent out bikes, plus a restaurant and poolside bar. $200-400. edit
- Maui Oceanfront Inn, 2980 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 808 879-7744, . On Keawakapu Beach. edit
Hotels and resorts
- Kihei Resort, 777 South Kihei Road is a popular condo complex with a manicured Japanese Garden, pool and hot tub.
- Kamaole Sands, 2695 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 808 874-8700, . edit
- Kihei Beach Resorts, Sugar Beach, ([email protected]), . Deluxe one and two-bedroom Maui condos are a stone's throw from the ocean. Located on 6 miles of white sandy beach. Kihei Beach Resort oceanfront vacation rental condos in North Kihei. Located on Sugar Beach. edit
- Maalaea Surf Resort, S Kihei Rd, (toll free: +1 866-284-2544, """), . Vacation Rentals at Maalaea Surf Resort in Kihei Maui offers beach front and ocean view condo and towne home rentals on the shores of Sugar Beach for your best accommodations in Hawaii. edit
- Mana Kai Maui Resort, 2960 S Kihei Rd, . One of the few condos in Kihei that is on the ocean instead of across the street from the ocean, it's on a rocky shore adjacent to Keawakapu beach. edit
- Maui Sunset, 1032 S Kihei Rd, ☎ 1-800-233-3310 (toll free: +1 800-233-3310), . checkin: 4pm; checkout: 11am. On the Waipuilani Beach park. Mostly vacation rental condos. Best gardens in Maui. Manicured lawns and ever blooming flowers. Large pool, tiki torches lit at night, BBQ facilities, free parking. $130. edit
- Sugar Beach Resort, N Kihei Rd, (toll free: +1 800-822-4409), . Condos located on a beach northwest of Kihei on the road to Lahaina. $225-405 (high season through website). edit
- Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort, 3550 Wailea Alanui Drive, Wailea, Hawaii, USA, 96753, . Immerse yourself in island luxury at Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort, featuring rooms with private balconies, beachfront dining, and endless recreation including luaus and watersports. (20.692818,-156.442420) edit
Rentals and condos
- Hale Kamaole, 2737 S Kihei Rd. Condos located across the street from Kamaole Beach III. Units are typically rented through an agency, online or from the owner directly. edit
- Koa Lagoon, 800 S Kihei Rd, (toll free: +1 800-367-8030, [email protected]), . Koa Lagoon Maui vacation rentals. Stay here - in this private deluxe condominium right on the beach in sunny Kihei. From your Lanai view the other islands, bright sails on aquamarine water, whales breeching. edit
- Maui Kihei Condo Rentals at Kihei Kai Nani, 2495 S Kihei Rd (approx. 1 mile South of Alanui Kealii Dr. on S Kihei Rd), ([email protected]), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. 1 Bedroom condos (sleep 4)across from Kamaole II beach. Fully equiped, free Wi-Fi and Parking. Has a pool, BBQ's, shuffleboard and Laundry. Call for montly special rate. $90 - $125. edit
- Maui Resort Rentals, 1993 S Kihei Rd Ste 210, ☎ +1 808 879-5973, . Offering 100s of vacation rentals throughout Maui. edit
- Maui Vista Condo Rentals by Owner, 2191 S Kihei Rd, ☎ +1 330-467-0493 ([email protected]), . 1 and 2.5 Bedroom affordable vacation condos (sleep 4, 6 respectively) located in Maui Vista. A beautiful 10-acre resort, lush gardens, 3 pools, 6 tennis courts, BBQ & picnic areas. Kamaole Beach is across the street: best swimming beach, crystal clear water & gentle waves. Fully equipped including washer/dryer, TV/DVD & air-conditioning. Visit website for images, detailed rates & availability. edit
- PMI Maui, 115 E Lipoa St #107, ☎ +1 808-269-8960, . PMI Maui offers luxury vacation rental homes and condos in South Maui. edit
- Shores of Maui, 2075 S Kihei Rd (cnr of Kanani and S Kihei Rd), (toll free: +1 877-874-9010), . Ocean view condos across from Cove Park. Fully equiped 1 bedroom. Has a pool, tennis courts, bbq's. Call for seasonal specials. edit
Maui isn't a large island, so you can go anywhere from Kihei as a day trip.
Nearby, heading south on the Pi'ilani Highway, is the resort community of Wailea and the beautiful beaches of Makena. Further south, with snorkeling and hiking opportunities, is Ahihi Reserve and La Perouse Bay.
Heading out of town on North Kihei Road will provide access to the old whaling town of Lahaina and the resort areas of West Maui.
Heading north on the Mokulele Highway will bring you into the central part of the island, where you can hike or catch the sunrise (or sunset) in Haleakala National Park, drive the Road to Hana, hit the beaches on Maui's north shore or head upcountry and visit Maui's only winery.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!