Khasab is a city in Musandam Peninsula, Oman
Mosque and Alkmazrh Fort in Khasab, Musandam Oman
Khasab (Arabic: خصب) is a city in the exclave of Oman northwest of Muscat. It is the capital city of the Musandam peninsula on the coast of the Hormuz Straight between Iran, United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Khasab was a city isolated from the rest of the region for long time. Only until since the contraction of the new road coming from the United Arab Emirates that Khasab itself started to develop in terms of infrastructures and and a more serious touristic interest driving companies.
Khasab offers the perfect starting point to explore the unknown Musandam Peninsula and its special and unique traditions and culture. Today you can enjoy great locations in and around the city and spend 2 or 3 days enjoying the region.
Khasab is great to spend a weekend off from Dubai or to visit on your way to Muscat taking the twice a day ferry-boat along the deserted and arid rocky coast of Musandam.
Khasab to Muscat Ferry-boat ticket and Khasab Port, Oman
Road from UAE border to Khasab, Oman
Khasab is not of easy access although you have quite a few options of transportation including daily morning flights from Muscat (the Airport of Khasab, located few miles inland from the coast, on 27 June 2011, recorded the world calendar day highest minimum temperature of 41.2° C / 106.16º F), twice a week ferry-boat from Muscat or rent-a-car coming from United Arab Emirates.
You can also walk across the border taking a taxi from Ras al Khaimah to the border. You will probably have to hitchhike from the border to Khasab.
- Muscat Ferry Boat (Muscat Ferry Boat), Muscat Mina, Khasab - Sultanate of Oman (Muscat National Port Authority), ☎ Toll free number 80072000. 3pm. Muscat Ferry Boats travel every Monday and Thursday departing at 12pm. The trip takes about 5 hours. Free wireless Internet. Lunch, snacks and beverages included in ticket price. You should get your ferry ticket in advance to assure your place on the boat. Business class: Return 85 Rials / One way 45 Rials. Tourist class: Return 44 Rials / One way 23 Rials. edit
- Fly from Muscat to Khasab (Muscat Khasab Flight), Muscat Airport - Sultanate of Oman. Flights from Muscat to Khasab go daily for a 45 min flight. 25 Rials one way. edit
- Driving from United Arab Emirates (Khasab from Dubai). One can easily drive from Dubai or any other Emirate taking the northern road towards Ras al Khaimah, heading north to the border. Road is in excellent condition. An Omani visa costs AED 50 (Dirhams) for most nationalities and can be bought directly at the border. edit
- Taxi from Ras al Khaimah to Musandam border crossing (Taxi from Ras al Khaimah). You can easily take a taxi from Ras al Khaimah to the border United Arab Emirates and Ras Musandam Peninsula. There are no taxis on the other side. Many trucks pass this border daily, so ask the Omani police officer to get you a ride in one of these trucks hitchhiking all the way to Khasab. 36km taxi ride on the Emirate side costs 56 Dirhams. edit
- Cruise Ships: Cruise ships often dock at Khasab or anchor off the coast and tender ashore. They often offer shuttles from the port to the town (many stopping at the Fort on the way there and back). There are very few taxis in Khasab, which makes independent touring tricky, however the local tour companies tout at the port entrance offering Dhow dolphin trips along the coast (usually around 3-4hrs), which are usually at a fraction of the cost of organised shore excursions.
Minivan Tours Khasab, Oman
Musandam Peninsula is an amazing place and Khasab is the perfect location to explore this Peninsula. Like elsewhere in Oman and Emirates, taxis are not to be found in Khasab. You have to get your own rent-a-car in Khasab or rely on your hotel minivan transportation that can take you where you want.
- Rahal Khasab Rent A car (Rent a Car in Khasab), Al souq, ☎ +968 91323440, +968 99441700 ([email protected],[email protected]). 8.00am to 10.00pm. Delivering car at air port and ferry, service costumers within 30 kilometers of khasab musandam,car with driver or without driver. edit
- Musandam rent a car & services (Rent a Car in Khasab), Old souq, ☎ +968 92540406, +968 99784020 ([email protected]). 8.00am to 10.00pm. Delivering car at air port and ferry, service costumers within 30 kilometers of khasab musandam,car with driver or without driver. edit
- Walk in Khasab (Walk in Khasab). You can also walk and hike around the region and in the mountains. If you're into full day treks, you can explore the city and nearby villages. During summer months, the Gulf region gets extremely and unbearably hot. edit
- Bicycle in Khasab (Bicycle ride in Khasab). If by chance you're living in United Arab Emirates and are visiting Khasab taking your own car, you can bring along your bicycle and explore the city and surrounding villages at ease. edit
Organized minivan tours
- Khasab City Tour (City Tour). Many travel agencies in Khasab provide minivan city tours, for half or full day visits to the city, including all of Khasab's best sites and locations. edit
Dolphin Watch Khasab Musandam, Oman
- Khasab Castle (Khasab Castle), (In front of the sea facing Port Authority). The Portuguese constructed the present fortress in the beginning of the 17th century until their retreat from the region. This castle which house the Wali and his family in recent centuries and which once held prisoners, has been restored and transformed into a regional museum. In the courtyard of the castle are boats and houses representative of unique heritage of Musandam. Entrance ticket 0.50 Rials. edit
- Alkmazrh Fort (Alkmazrh Fort). This fort is located inside the city and it seems that belongs to a specific tribe among local people. Still today, the fort is taken care by the tribes youngsters proud of their ancestral possession. edit
- Khasab Dhow Port (Khasab Dhow Port). Just facing the Khasab Port Authority for the ferry-boat to Muscat, the traditional port for dhow boats is a place where you can appreciate and enjoy typical boats from this region of the Gulf. You can easily find boats to take you on a sea cruise. edit
- Iranian Smugglers (Iranian Smugglers). Khasab is known for its Iranian smugglers. From here everyday hundreds of small jet boats cross the Hormuz strait heading to Southern Iranian cities of Banda Abbas and Qeshm Island. edit
- Khasab Palm Groves (Khasab Palm Groves), (Old city). Hidden inside Khasab old city, you can visit and explore the beautiful palm groves. These oases are great and supply local people with some palm dates. edit
Dhow Boat Tour to Telegraph Island, Oman
Khasab Center Mosque by night, Oman
- Dhow Cruises (Dhow Cruises). Telegraph Island boat tours twice a day Dhow boat excursions depart from Khasab. Currently quite a few agencies take care of this. Prices per trip start at 15 Rials if going with other people, and 30 Rials if you go alone. edit
- Village of Tawi Rock Paintings (Village of Tawi). The new road allows access to Tawi where you can visit some prehistoric drawings / rock engraving of boats, animals and warriors. edit
- City walk by night (Walk in Khasab). As temperature is far more pleasant during the evening, you can walk around the city center along the avenue and center mosque. Also there are a couple of gardens that are opening by night and where you can see families playing with their kids. edit
- 4WD Mountain Safari (Mountain Safari). 4wd rides to Jebal Harim, 2087m /6847f above sea level. On these trips organized by several agencies in the city, you can appreciate the beautiful desert rocky mountains of Musandam. edit
- Snorkeling (Snorkeling in Musandam). All of Musandam Coast has amazing waters to dive. Near Khasab there are few diving points and zones where you can see and swim among fishes using a diving mask with a shaped tube called a snorkel and swimfins. edit
- Dolphin watch (Dolphins in Khasab). If you take one of those dhow boat excursions into Musandam beautiful coast, you'll be able to see dolphins just 10 minutes away from Khasab port. edit
- Khasab Musandam Travel & Tours (KM Travel & Tours), P.O.Box 411, ☎ +968-93350703, . Always Open. KHASAB MUSANDAM Travels and Tours is an expert in organizing and operating domestic tours and other services which includes Dhow Cruise Tour, (Exclusive) Dhow Cruise Tour, Khasab Dolphin Watch, Khasab City Tours, Khasab Beach Camping, Khasab Snorkeling and Swimming. edit
- Musandam Dhow Tours (Musandam Dhow Tours), PB BOX 463 / 811, Musandam Oman, ☎ +968 92448448 /+968 92427530 ([email protected]), . 08.00 Am to 08.00Pm. This travel agency provides sharing/private transportation from UAE to Khasab and back, Package tours and day trips, hotel booking,camping trips half / full day Dhow cruises with snorkeling equipment & safety jacket, 4x4 Mountain Safaris around Musandam. edit
- The Dolphin Travel & Tourism (The Dolphin Travel & Tourism), PB BOX 111 / 811, Musandam Oman, ☎ +968 92423833 / +968 26730659 ([email protected]), . This travel agency provides half / full day Dhow cruises with snorkeling equipment & safety jacket, 4x4 Mountain Safaris around Musandam. edit
- Hotel Khasab (Hotel Khasab), PO Box 111, PC 811 Musandam , Khasab - Sultanate of Oman, ☎ +968 26730267 / 26730271 ([email protected]), . Khasab Hotel organizes 4x4 Mountain Safaris, Dhow boat excursions and city tours. Book on the reception with the hotel friendly staff. City Tours: Soft drinks, Mineral water and fruits costs 10 Rials. Full day Dhow boat excursions: Lunch, mineral water, soft drinks, tea/coffee, fruits, snorkeling equipments costs 20 Rials per person. 4x4 Mountain Safari: Mineral water, soft drinks and fruit costs 25 Rials.. edit
- Dolphin Khasab Tours, PO Box No 123, Postal Code 811, Lulu Hypermarket, Khasab, Musandam, S. of Oman, ☎ 00968 99566672 ([email protected]), . This travel agency in the town of Khasab provide various services like Dhow cruise, Kayaking, Mountain Safari,Beach Camping,Overnight Dhow Cruise, City Tour etc. edit
- Khasab Sea Tours (Khasab Dhow Cruise & Tours), PO Box No 151, Postal Code 811, ☎ 00968 26731123, . 8:00 hrs - 20:30 hrs. Khasab Sea Tours located near to Khasab Port is prestigious company based in Oman specializing in exclusive Travel and Tours in Musandam. This agency is specialized in Khasab Dhow Cruise, Khasab Beach Camping, Mountain Safari, Fishing Tour and other exciting Khasab Musandam Tour Packages". edit
- Dhow Khasab Tours (dhow khasab tours), ☎ +96898567886 ([email protected]), . 08: AM To 08:00 PM. Dhow Khasab Tours will let you in for a treat by having you take on remarkable escapades in this historic place at the southern tip of Arabia. Filled with history and rich in culture, this is exactly what Oman is. It is one of the oldest civilizations located in the Persian peninsula. Rumour has it that this country is the native land of Sinbad the Sailor. You can see for yourself the beauty of this realm through our tours that offer a variety of atmospheres, from laidback to adventurous. edit
Supermarket in Khasab, Oman
- Supermarkets. In Khasab city center there are different supermarkets with the usual groceries, cookies, bread, bottled water, ice cream, etc. edit
- Local Handicraft Shop, Khasab Castle (Inside Khasab Castle). Many local Musandam handicraft and Omani souvenirs can be bought in the shop inside Khasab Castle. Very friendly staff local. edit
- Palm Dates. In the tiny Sikkit market in the town center you can buy fresh palm dates. edit
Musandam Restaurant in Khasab, Oman
- Musandam Restaurant (Musandam Restaurant), PO BOX 1/811 Musandam Oman, ☎ +968 26730569. 8am to 11 pm. Local meat and fish dishes in this restaurant located in center city. Expect to pay from 1 Rial to 2 Rials depending on what you eat. Some vegetarian/vegan options. edit
- Ice Cream (Eat Ice Cream in Khasab), (In the city center). Many supermarkets have freezers with several types of ice cream. With the extreme heat of Musandam Peninsula, enjoy a cold creamy ice cream. 0.3 Rials up to 0.5 Rials. edit
- Fruit milk shakes (Drink fruit shakes in Khasab). Some restaurants can prepare you fruit milk shakes. These are made with real fruit and often mixed with ice cream and full pieces of fresh fruit. 1 Rial to 2 Rials depending your choice. edit
- Black tea (Drink tea in Khasab). All the local restaurants serve black tea. This is the traditional tea from the region. Usually nowadays is Lipton Black Tea. edit
- Hotel Khasab (Hotel Khasab), PO Box 111, PC 811 Musandam , Khasab - Sultanate of Oman, ☎ +968 26730267 / 26730271 ([email protected]), . checkout: 12pm. Double, tripple, deluxe and family rooms. Swimming pool and restaurant. Buffet breakfast included on price. Free Internet Access and Airport pick-up. Prices start at 28 Rials per night. Price vary depending on the season and weekends. edit
- Golden Tulip (Golden Tulip), PO Box 434, PC 811 Musandam, Khasab - Sultanate of Oman (From Dubai drive through the Emirates road towrds Ras Al Khaimah, and then to Al Darah Boarder. After the border is 38kms away. 5kms away from Khasab airport), ☎ +968 26730777 ([email protected]), . Sea view rooms, Swimming pool, Children pool and play area, Gym, Conference and meeting facilities, WiFi Internet. edit
Muscat Bank ATM in Khasab, Oman
- ATM machines (Withdraw money in Khasab), (Khasab city center have few banks where you can take some money out). 24/7. Oman National Bank ATM; Muscat Bank ATM; edit
- Exchange money (Exchange money in Khasab). 24/7. You can exchange money in the city center banks during weekdays and also on the Western Union office during weekends. edit
Khasab to Muscat Ferry-boat, Oman
Twice weekly ferry-boat from Khasab to Muscat. Minivan service to the border with United Arab Emirates from where you can call a taxi to pick you up and take you to Ras al Khaimah.
- Muscat Ferry Boat (Muscat Ferry Boat), Khasab Mina, Khasab - Sultanate of Oman (Khasab National Port Authority), ☎ Toll free number 80072000. 3pm. Muscat Ferry Boats travel every Wednesday and Saturday departing at 12pm. The trip takes about 5 hours. Free wireless Internet. Lunch, snacks and beverages included in ticket price. You should get your ferry ticket in advance to assure your place on the boat. Business class: Return 85 Rials / One way 45 Rials. Tourist class: Return 44 Rials / One way 23 Rials. edit
- Fly from Khasab to Muscat (Khasab Muscat Flight), Khasab Airport - Sultanate of Oman. Flights from Khasab to Muscat go daily for a 45 min flight. You have to buy the tickets with at least the day before you fly. 25 Rials one way. edit