Key Largo  is an island in the Florida Keys.
The weather is subtropical, with occasional cool weather in wintertime bringing temps to the upper 30sF.
Fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Chauffeured transportation is expensive. Renting a car is best.
From Miami, take Florida's Turnpike south to US Route 1. Take US 1 to Key Largo. Note that the toll roads no longer allow you to pay cash, however, you can register your car online in order to use the toll roads. Rental cars are equipped with transponders, but fees vary by company.
Key Largo does not lend itself to bikes or walking. Although there is a bike path, it runs just alongside the highway, and as such would not be the most relaxing (or pleasant) of rides. Most shops are along the highway, and as such the main drag has something of a strip-mall feel (for the most part, the water is not visible from the highway).
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, , Main Boat Tours & Reservations: (305) 451-6300, General Info: (305) 451-1202 (Front Gate), Camping Information: (800) 326-3521, Group Tour Reservations (15+ people): (305) 451-6316, Boat Slips & Mooring Rates: (305) 451-6325. Visitor Center, fishing, swimming, picnicking, snorkeling, scuba, rentals, camping.
Key Largo is known as a diving Mecca, and many dive companies operate from here, taking large numbers of people to the reefs. In addition, other water-related activities like snorkeling, touring on a glass bottom boat, parasailing, and fishing are all popular activities here. On land, motorcycle riding is popular, with rentals available.
- reef roamer snorkel catamaran, mm 100 key largo fl, 33037, ☎ 305 453 0110, . 8 - 6. Come snorkeling in John Pennekamp Park with Reef Roamer and Quicksilver catamarans. Three snorkel trips daily 9, 12:30, and 5:30. Sunset sails with free champagne and rum punch. $22 and up. edit
John Pennekamp Park also has kayaks for rent, with routes ranging from 30 minutes to 2 or more hours.
The Keys have a large Cuban population, so in addition to the obvious (fish), be sure to try some Cuban food (or coffee). Many restaurants have excellent seaside seating with amazing views. In addition to the offerings below, neighbouring Islamorada has the excellent Marker 88 (located at mile marker 88) seaside restaurant.
- Buzzards Roost Restaurant, 21 Garden Cove Dr., +1 305 453-3746. 
- Cafe Largo/Bayside Grill, 99530 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-4885.
The food is very good. The service is enthusiastic and the staff has personality.
- Caribbean Club, +1 305 451-4466.
- Coconuts Restaurant & Lounge, +1 305 453-9794. 
- Crack'd Conch Restaurant, 105045 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-0732. 
- DJ'S Diner, 99411 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-2999.
- Fish House Restaurant, +1 305 451-4665. 
- Fish Tales Cafe, 10344 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-0507, fax: +1 305 451-0517. 
- Flamingo Seafood Restaurant, 45 Garden Cove Dr., +1 305 451-8022. 
- Ice Cream Shoppe, 101431 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-3334.
- Key Largo Coffee House, 100211 Overseas Hwy, 1 305 453-4844. 
- Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, 99336 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-3722 
- Num Thai Rest. & Sushi, 103200 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-5955. Great sushi, fair prices, friendly and very local. Offers a variety of oriental food.
- Senor Frijoles/Sundowners, 103900 Overseas Hwy, 451-1592.
- Upper Crust Pizza, 101611 Overseas Hwy, +1 305 451-4188.
- Pilot House Restaurant, 13 Seagate Boulevard Key Largo, FL 33037, ☎ 305 451-3142, . Notable for its 'glass bottom bar', where you can watch the fish swim underneath you while you eat. Children (and the young-at-heart) can feed the fish over the side. If you get lucky, you might see a dolphin. edit
- Islamorada has some decent dive bars.
- Shipwrecks Bar and Grill, 45 Garden Cove Dr., ☎ (305) 453-3153. This dive bar has a great happy hour between 4pm-6pm every day, including ~$1.00 drafts. Also has outside patio seating. edit
- Cactus Jack's, 103900 Overseas Highway Key Largo, ☎ (305) 453-0249, . Local dive bar. Good prices. Open mic nights on Mondays. edit
- Jules’ Undersea Lodge, 51 Shoreland Drive (Key Largo Undersea Park), ☎ ''+1'' 305-451-2353 ([email protected], fax: ''+1'' 305-451-2353), . This underwater hotel is 21 feet below the surface. Sleeps up to six. $350+/night.. edit
- Hilton Key Largo Resort, 97000 South Overseas Highway (Key Largo, FL 33037), ☎ 305-852-5553, . checkin: 4:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. Beachfront hotel nestled on 13 acres of lush, tropical forest along the Gulf of Mexico. Enjoy oceanfront dining, water sports and beautiful beaches. edit
- Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort, 103800 Overseas Highway, MM 103.8 (Key Largo, FL 33037), ☎ 1-305-453-0000, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. Luxury beachfront resort on 17 acres of waterfront paradise. edit
- Keys Tree House- Vacation Rentals, Mile Marker 95, ☎ 954-658-7986, . Somewhat secluded, and private. edit
- Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, 500 Burton Drive, ☎ 305-853-3000 ([email protected]), . A Key Largo hotel and resort in the Florida Keys with waterfront accommodations and suites. Also offers meeting and wedding venues and activities including fishing, diving and sailing. edit
- Ramada, 99751 Overseas Hwy, +1 305-451-3939, .
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Camping Information: (800) 326-3521.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!