Kent is a municipality north of the Fraser River in the Fraser Valley region of British Columbia. It lies north of Chilliwack and south of Harrison Hot Springs and includes the unincorporated villages of Agassiz and Harrison Mills.
The easiest way to get in to Kent is by car. The fastest way from Vancouver or Hope is to take the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1), exit at Highway 9 and follow it north. A slower but more scenic way is to take Highway 7, which connects Kent to Dewdney, Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Vancouver.
The Kent district is rural and sprawling, and there isn't much bus service, so a car is usually necessary to get around. From the Fraser River in the south to the foot of Mt Woodside in the north, Kent is on a very flat river valley, good terrain for bicycling. The townsite of Aggassiz around Pioneer Park is on a 19th century walkable scale; park your car on Pioneer Ave and take a stroll.
- Agassiz Harrison Museum and Visitor Information Centre, 7011 Pioneer Ave., Agassiz (Look for the caboose at the west end of Pioneer Park), ☎ +1-604-796-3545 ([email protected]), . Mo–Sa 10am–4pm, Sun 1pm–4pm. The 1893 Canadian Pacific Railroad (CPR) stationhouse has been transformed into a museum of Agassiz and of CPR history. The quantity and quality of artifacts, in such a small space, is astounding. If the friendly and widely knowledgeable docent Sam is on duty, you are in for a treat. The front desk has maps and brochures for many attractions in the area. The caboose and tiny train car outside are also interesting. By donation. edit
- Welcome to Kent Visitor Information Board, (South of Agassiz, where Highway 9 meets the Haig Highway). A place to get visitor information when the main Visitor Information Centre is closed. edit
- Woodside Gallery, 2226 Lougheed Highway (Next to the Koffee Kettle motel), ☎ +1-604-615-7770 ([email protected]), . We–Sa 11am–5pm (Apr 1–Sep 30). Paintings and pottery by the owner, Dehlia Simper, and other local artists. You can sometimes find an artist working in the gallery. edit
- Oasis Coffee & Bistro, #1-7010 Pioneer Ave, Agassiz, ☎ +1-604-796-8800, . Mo-Fr 5am-6pm, Sa 6am-pm, Su 8am-5pm. Friendly coffee house. Breakfasts: french toast, eggs, hash browns, muffins. Lunch & dinner: sandwiches, soup, salads. Some vegetarian choices. Free wifi. $4-10. (49.23869,-121.76581) edit
- Koffee Kettle Motel, 2226 Lougheed Highway, ☎ +1-604-796-2994, +1-866-70-Motel ([email protected]), . Situated on the Lougheed Highway, the main thoroughfare, but well out in the quiet country. Conveniently midway between Harrison Mills and Agassiz. Single and double rooms. Free wifi. Satellite TV. Kitchenettes in some rooms. Right at the foot of local paragliding hotspot, Mt Woodside. Singles from $75/night, doubles from $85/night. edit