Karpathos is an island in the Dodecanese. It is situated between Rhodes and Crete islands, Greece.
- Pigadia in the east coast.,
- Aperi in the mainland, isolated village.
- Arkasa on the western coast, lies on the site of an ancient city.
- Mesochori on the western coast
- Lefkos on the western coast
Greek is the native language of the people of Karpathos. However, most people also speak passable English and many speak German or other European languages.
Karpathos is accessable via ferry from Piraeus, Kasos, Crete, and Rhodes.
Karpathos airport connects the island with Athens, Rhodes and Crete and many other European cities.
Public buses operate throughout the islands.
There are taxis available until 2AM, then only one or two.
You can rent a car or a motor scooter. Asphalt roads run across the west coast of the island. Roads in the interior turn out to be little more than dirt paths.
Motorbikes and mopeds are popular alternatives to cars. Especially mopeds are frequently used by local youths and can go to many places that cars cannot go - for example the twisted narrow streets of karpathos city. But in fact it is better to walk in the town. An additional advantage is that they are cheap to rent - 10 to 15 Euros a day is the usual price.
If you start a day-trip with a moped, make you sure you do so on a full tank, as gas stations are sometimes hard to find. In fact there are only three gas stations in the whole island and they are in in Pigadia (the town). Nowadays is there gas station on the West coast about 3 km south of Arkasa too. An extra stop at a gas station can save a lot of nerves. When renting a moped, check if the profile of the tyres is ok and if the brakes work properly. If it is the last vehicle in store, be suspicious - it could be the one that needs a repair badly. Though helmets are not required on the streets, it might be a good idea to ask your rent-a-bike for one, especially if you intend to drive on streets with more traffic.
- The villages: Avlona, Menetes, Olymbos, Aperi and Pyles. The islands: Saria and Kasos.
- 15 AUGUST 3 days celebration in Menetes.
- Karpathian weddings.
- Karpathian easter in Menetes village.
- Scuba diving
- wind surfing
There is a good variety of beaches on Karpathos. The south-west side of the island has sandy beaches with calm waters. The wind mostly comes in from the east and also the sea tends to be somewhat rougher to the east.
- Amopi 5 km from the town is the most popular and friendly place for all in karpathos island have 5 beaches where you can find everything from the party beach, the family beach, the quiet beach next to you. There are taveras, markets, bus every hour and taxi station. The prices for one umbrella and 2 chairs is 6 euro per day, the prices in tavernas are logical, all the beaches are free for all, and the beaches are Mikri (small) and Megal (large). Votsalakia beach in front of votsalakia beach hotel, Kastelia in front of Aegean village hotel, Maounas in front of Kastelia bay hotel.
- Afiartis , 15 km from the town is a very good place for wind surfing.
- Achata beach 15 km from town, further to the North, is a pebble beach ith deep waters.
- Kyra Panaya beach 12 km from town, named after Madonna, is situated between rocks capes. To swim in its deep waters demands caution.
- Apella 20 km from town.
- Agios Mynas beach 20 km from town in the north of Karpathos, although isolated, has become more and more popular, however the prices of restaurants and chartering of deckchair and beach umbrellas have risen a lot.
- ArkasaWell organized beach in Arkasa situated southwestern to Pigadia.
It is one of the best beaches of the island with sandy beach with nice white sand and shallow
sea while it is very popular because of big wave. There are sun beds and umbrellas, showers,
restaurants and it is reachable by car.
- Lefkos it's on the east coast 25 km from the town.
- Jewelry stores are common in the island, mainly in Pigadia.
- Colorful sea shells are a popular souvenir item,
- Many brand name products for sale in the tourist shops. In Karpathos, there is 9% VAT.
- Many things from locals handmade boots, olive oil, sweets, honey etc
You can eat local food like makarounes and other plates in many tavernas and restaurants, but it is not all original recipes. fresh fish at sokaki ambrosia restaurant is a must try
The tap water is drinkable and restaurants will serve glasses of ice water upon request. Local drinks include Mythos (beer) and Ouzo.The prices for alcohol are low.
Popular Greek beers include Fix, Mythos, Alpha (Alfa). Some bars offer Volkan beer, brewed with honey from Santorini. Heineken and Amstel Light are also available at most bars and restaurants.
- Afiartis 2 (New Sofia Studios), Afiartis Karpathos, Dodekanisa, ☎ +30 22450 91108 (fax: +30 22450 23140), . Afiartis 2 ( New Sofia Studios ) is a newly built, beautiful, friendly complex of holiday apartments located in one of well known and attractive tourist destinations of Karpathos, Afiartis. edit
- Alkioni Hotel, Finiki, ☎ +30 22450 61070 (fax: +30 22450 61266), . The Alkioni Hotel located at Finiki village, near Arkassa village, SW on the island of Karpathos. edit
- Arkasa Palace Villas, Arkasa Karpathos, Dodekanisa, ☎ +302245061249 (fax: +302245061249), . We offer traditional Greek hospitality combined with calm, relaxed atmosphere in an elegant setting. Enjoy the vacation you deserve in Arkasa Palace Villas and discover the majestic beauty of Karpathos. edit
- Helios Hotel, Lakki, Ammopi, ☎ +30 22450 81148 (fax: +30 22450 81171), . Right next to the beach of Ammoopi, 7 km from capital of Karpathos Island (Pigadia) and 10km from the main airport. edit
- Kyra Panagia Hotel, Kyra Panagia, ☎ +30 2245061410, . A nice hotel in Kyra Panagia beach. edit
- Luxurious Arkasa Bay, Arkasa, ☎ +30 2245061410, . 4-star hotel with sea and sunset views. edit
- Dorana apartments, Diafani Karpathos, ☎ +302245051038, . Dorana apartments are located at Diafani which is at the Northern part of Karpathos. According to most people this area is the most ideal place for relaxation and walks. Diafani is famous for its abudance of fish, diving and spearfishing opportunities. edit
- Lefkorama hotel and apartments, Lefkos Karpathos, ☎ +302245071173, . Come and enjoy a relaxing holiday in our Hotel Lefkorama and be a family guest of Moskoula and Nikos Papadakis. At our place you are welcomed wether you are single, a couple or a family! Hotel Lefkorama is placed at the west coast of Karpathos, in Lefkos area, a nice and relaxing holiday place directly at three fantastic sandy beaches. edit
Karpathos is a generally safe destination. There is a hospital in Pigadia and at least one private doctor. In Pigadia are there several farmacies and one in Arkasa.
(Lefkorama Hotel Lefkos Area. Probably misplaced information)