Kanpur is a city in Uttar Pradesh.
Kanpur a major industrial and commercial city located on the banks of the River Ganges. It has an area of over 1,200 km²(a 5th largest city in India) and had a population of around 6.1 million in the 2008 census. Kanpur is home to several educational institutions, including an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-Kanpur), CSJM University, Harcourt Butler Technical University (HBTU), University Institute of Engineering and Technology, GSVM Medical College and Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology (AIT).
Being located on the national corridor of railways the city of Kanpur is well connected with the rest of India by rail services, eg. Shatabdi expresses from Delhi to Kanpur.
It also lies on the Kolkata-New Delhi rail link and hence is connected with Rajdhani expresses (multiple of them, Howrah Rajdhani, Guwahati Rajdhani, Bhubaneswar Rajdhani).
Main Railway Stations in the City
- Kanpur Central, the main railway station of the city lies in Cantt area. It is connected with Jhansi, Lucknow, New Delhi, Agra, Howrah etc. The trains like Shatabdi, Rajdhani have a stop here for 5 to 10 min.
- Kanpur Anwarganj, It's the oldest railway station of Kanpur, It is connected by Lucknow, Allahabad, Mathura, and Gorakhpur as well. Many Express and Passenger trains have a stoppage here.
- Govind Puri, It is the junction Railway station where the line is divided into two parts for Jhansi and New Delhi. Ticket Room and overbridge are also situated here.
- Panki, This station has only passenger train stop here but is also very useful.
- Rawatpur, one of the main station in the city to catch trains to & from Farrukhabad & Kasganj.
Kanpur airport: Daily direct flights are now available from Delhi, Mumbai, and Kolkata to Chakeri airport located in the eastern part of the city.
Lucknow airport: You may also take a flight to Lucknow and then drive to Kanpur (70 kms, 1.5hr drive).
Kanpur is well connected with Road, NH 2 and NH 25 passes nearby. The NHS which passes to Kanpur are NH 2, NH 25, NH 86 and NH 91. Kanpur has two major bus station. The very important bus station of Kanpur is Jhakarkati bus Station. Many Volvo buses especially Royal Cruiser which go to Delhi, Jaipur, and Agra.
There are city buses running by UPSRTC under JNNURM. These buses offer cheaper rates than Auto Rickshaws.AC Low floor city bus has the highest cost which is also very comfortable. Some other types of buses are Non AC Low Floor, Mini Bus and Low Floor which also offer Low Rates. For more information see the page Kanpur Metropolitan Bus Service in Wikipedia.
You can travel using an auto rickshaw or the tempo called Vikram. Vikram is the cheapest mode of transport but a pain to travel. However, Vikram drivers have a fixed rate for point-to-point travels. The quality of auto rickshaws in Kanpur is also pathetic and there is not a fixed rate or meter system. You have to bargain with the driver.
Cycle rickshaws there is no standard or norm for the price. They can be found on Main Road and Small Roads of the city.
Private taxis like Ambassador, Vans and other cars are available from Canal Road Taxi Stand and from various hotels and travel agencies.
- Shri Radha Krisha Temple (Popularly known as JK Temple), (In the heart of the city near Gumti no. 5 and Pandav Nagar). Wonderful piece of architecture and art and you must see this monument if you visit Kanpur. The Temple has statues of Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva, Lord Hanuman, Lord Vishnu, and Lord Rama. The illuminated towers of the temple can be seen from quite a distance at night. On Sundays, it is usually very crowded at summers as people try to get some relief from the high temperatures in the greenery and openness of the Temple premises. edit
- Allen Forest Zoo. Biggest park in Kanpur City. This is the second best zoo in UP. Greenery and vastness of the zoo will capture any visitors attention. edit
- Ganga Barrage. A dam built across Ganges River near Old Kanpur. Contains Boating Club. edit
- Gautam Buddha Park, (On the way to IIT Campus). This is the latest addition to Kanpur city. With its huge area and greenery, it makes a good weekend picnic spot. edit
- Nana Rao Park. Site of the Cawnpore massacre during the Indian Mutiny/War of Independence/Rebellion of 1857. The circular ridge of the well where the bodies of women and children were deposited is still visible and prominent figure of the Rebel forces, Tantya Tope, is represented at the park in statue form. edit
- Massacre Ghat. Site of the Cawnpore massacre during the Indian Mutiny/War of Independence/Rebellion of 1857. The circular ridge of the well where the bodies of women and children were deposited is still visible and prominent figure of the Rebel forces, Tantya Tope, is represented at the park in statue form. edit
- Bithoor, (25 km from Kanpur city). This is a popular getaway from Kanpur. This is a riverside of Holy Ganges river. Do take a boat ride across the river. There are no active lifeguards at this place so be cautious about swimming. edit
- Jama Masjid, Patkapur (In the heart of city near Nana Rao Park). This is a biggest and popular mosque of Kanpur. edit
- Habiba Masjid, (17 km from Kanpur in Jajmau). This is a popular mosque from Kanpur. edit
- JK Masjid, near new chungi jajmau kanpur-208010 (18 km from Kanpur in Jajmau). This is a mosque from Kanpur. edit
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), (On the western side of the Kanpur), . Campus in a isolated place with greenery and calm environment. edit
- Harcourt Butler Technological Institute (HBTI), . This is a premier Engineering College in the region. This is the oldest engineering college in North India, after Roorkee. This was established in 1921 by the then Governor of United Province (now Uttar Pradesh) Sir Harcourt Butler. It has a sprawling 280 acres lush green campus having almost all the branches of engineering and Chemical-Technolgy. edit
- Kanpur Sanghralaya. Kanpur Sanghralaya,a meuseum established by Britishers.It contain old pictures,Books,items and many other things. edit
- Kanpur Memorial Church. Kanpur Memorial Church,a church established by Britishers.It contain old fountains,Books,items and many other things. edit
- Gora Cemetry. A cemetry of british millitants situated near Civil Lines. edit
- Z Square Mall. Z Square Mall,a mall established by ZAZ Tanners.It contain anchors like Westside,Lifestyle,Jambo Electronics,Big Bazaar and all other big showrooms. edit
- Kamla Retreat. Kamla Retreat,a meuseum established by JK Group.It contain many items and many other things. edit
- ISCKON Temple, singpur ,bithoor. ISCKON Temple. best to go on sundays edit
- Micky House, (Kidwai Nagar). Amusement Park. edit
- Jungle Water Park, (Bithoor Road). Amusement Park. edit
- Sports Village, (Bithoor Road). Amusement Park. edit
- Ekta Park, (Near Pandu River). Amusement Park. edit
- Motijheel. Walk in the morning at Motijheel. edit
- Rave moti. Watch movies at Rave moti or the new malls. edit
- Golf Club. Play golf every morning by joining club. edit
- Allen park Zoo. Watch animals and birds and learn about them. edit
- Mahatma Gandhi park. Do boating at Mahatma Gandhi park. edit
- Check out the market of Naveen market, open market, mall road, Arya Nagar, Swaroop Nagar, Tilak Nagar, Gumti no 5
- Leather Goods on Meston Raod (Bada Chauraha). Meston road is also good for all other day-to-day items.
- Clothes at Gumti no. 5, Naveen Market, P. Road. Also find wholesale markets at Navghada, General Gunj
- Utensils, Sarees, Bangles and lot of other stuff at reasonable rates at Sisamau. Utensils can also be found at Hatiya.
Kanpur is a great place for Chat lovers, the city is planked with chat shops serving Pani Puri, all Tikki, dahai chat etc.
A popular food junction is a lane at Arya Nagar, with entries serving everything from chat, south Indian, biryani, egg rolls, burgers, chats to ice creams.
For a range of multi-cuisine restaurants visit The Mall, Naveen Market, Civil Lines, Sarvodaya Nagar (Moti Rave) and Swaroop Nagar, restaurants open to 11 PM. Check out Aromas in Swaroop Nagar for some awesome burgers. Try the mushroom burger if you are the adventurous kind, you will not be disappointed.
No meal in Kanpur can be completed without eating pan, hence, if you are near Cantt, the mall road, near Phool Bagh gives you excellent pan options, or may just drive till Birhana Road and grab a pan there. Around the other side, however, the lane near Hallet Hospital is a haven of pan vendors. With alternating medicine and CT scan clinics, the pans here are the best in the city. The pan shops are open comfortably till 2 AM. Perfect reason to go out on a drive.
- Baba biryani, Swaroop Nagar,beconganj. Biryani. edit
- Banarsi ke ladoo. Serves the best boondi ladoos, which are world famous. Infact from a small shop banarsi has grown into a huge store with lots of branches all over the city. The sweet store always has a huge line outside it during all festivities, where the ladoos need to be booked in advanced. Its ladoos have travelled to america also, and is a hot favourite. Its also featured in Bollywood movie 'Bunty aur Babli'. edit
- Bombay Bhelpuri, Swaroop Nagar. Chat. edit
- Ghosh Misthan Bhandar, 80 Feet Road. Among the famous sweets in Kanpur are Rasgolla from this shop. edit
- Hanuman Chat, P. Road. Chat edit
- Hathras, Meston Road. Chat. edit
- Makhan Singh, Arya Nagar. Biryani. edit
- Peru, Bakarmandi. Biryani. edit
- Rakesh Biryani, Parade. Do try n scorp Rakesh Ki Biryani in " Kanpur" at Navin Market. edit
A small standing-only place near the Parade Chauraha, the aroma of mouthwatering Chicken Biryani will wipe out all thoughts of chicken flu from your mind. After you dig into the food, you may even end up walking away with a parcel for the evening. I say a parcel for dinner because this place shuts at 3 pm. So drop in between 11.30 am and 3 pm. And, it is closed on Tuesdays.An apology to vegetarians. This place does not cater to them.
- Shanker, Birhana Road. Chat. edit
- Thaggu ke Ladu, (Next to Somdutt Plaza). This is a small shop. Specialty of this shop are ladoos (balls of dried milk) and icecream. Although high in calories, ladoos are very delicious. Bunty & Babli was also shot here. edit
- Ram Mishthan Bhandar, Sisamau, Jawahar Nagar. A famous sweet shop offering varieties of mouth watering sweets and snacks and its "Peda" is very famous around the globe. edit
- Tandoori nights, Swaroop Nagar. Biryani. edit
- Shahi Darbar, Parade. Biryani. edit
- The Chat, Swaroop Nagar. Chat. edit
- Chung Fa (Mall St.). Authentic Chinese. edit
- Energy Point, Swaroop Nagar. Biryani. edit
- Celebration Point, M.G Marg. edit
- MC Donald, Z Square Mall,Rave 3 Mall,South X Mall,Mega Mall. Fast food, named for the telephone code of kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially the indian style pizza and pasta. edit
- Moti Mahal, Mega Mall. Fast food, named for the telephone code of kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially the indian style foods and Many types of Non Veg. edit
- Pandit (Restaurant), katheri Bagh, Cantts (near Murry Co. Bridge), . 7am To 11 PM. Serving Indian, Continental,rajasthani,South Indian,Chinese, Chaat, Paani Poori and world famous Laddus alongwith an exotic range of Indian Sweets. 100% Vegetarian all preprations in Cow Ghee. Best Packed Thali for travel served in trains edit
- Baba, Z Square Mall,Bekanganj. Non Veg. edit
- Kwality, Mall Road. Old and popular this is with its charms of a diner which serves au gratin/baked vegetables still as a delicacy, and where tutti frutti and its famous pudding essentially close a meal. Must try are the desserts here, they are irresistable. edit
- 0512, Civil Lines. Fast food, named for the telephone code of kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially the indian style pizza and pasta. edit
- Little Chef, Civil Lines. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams. edit
- Mehfil, Civil Lines. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams. edit
- KFC, The Mall. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams. edit
- Moti Mehal, The Mall. Traditional Indian Food and Western Style Food. edit
- The Landmark Restaurant, The Mall. Traditional Indian Food,Ice Cream,Southern Cusine,Thalis Continental and Western Style Food. edit
Pubs and bars
There are pubs at Landmark Hotel and at the new malls.
Mufarra is a red drink which you can drink in summer for getting relief of Hot.This is easily available on shops.
Cafes and teahouses
- Banarsi Tea Shop, (At Motijheel Chauraha crossing). Famous tea vendor who sells only tea and there are always flocks of people waiting to have his tea, especially in the morning. edit
- Cafe Cofee Day, (At All shopping malls). Famous cofee shop who sells only tea and there are always flocks of people waiting to have his cofee, especially in the morning. edit
- Barista Coffee, (At all shopping malls). Famous cofee shop who sells only tea and there are always flocks of people waiting to have his cofee, especially in the morning. edit
There are a number of hotels on Mall Road and G.T Road.
- Geet Hotel, 18/174-175, opp Phollbagh, The Mall. 1 km from Railway stn, 11 km from kanpur Airport.
- Hotel Akashdeep International, 18/177, opp Phool Bagh, The Mall. 10 km from Railway stn, 20 km from kanpur Airport.
- Hotel Atithi, 17/11, The Mall. 2 km from Railway stn, 15 km from kanpur Airport.
- Hotel Paradise, 16/62, Shri Krishana Tower Civil Lines,Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh - 208001,India, ☎ +91-9810068858, . At Hotel Paradise in Kanpur, India, you’ll discover that comfortable can also be affordable. Deluxe yet economical conveniences await your arrival to their lxury hotel. Just like the familiar feel of home, their well-appointed guestrooms offer especially inviting spaces. To keep you pampered day-in and day-out, their prompt round-the-clock services will make your stay one of absolute ease. Best rates on official website start at INR 1,190.00. edit
- Hotel Mandakini, 40/69B, Hospital Road Parade, The Mall,Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh - 208001, India, ☎ +91-7388280001, . Hotel Mandakini has all the things you require for a convenient and budget-friendly stay in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. Meeting your demand for deluxe yet reasonably priced accommodation, this hotel offers luxurious rooms and suites furnished with premium essentials. Indeed, this hotel in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh stays true to the standards set by the Kukreja Group Hotels by giving you value for your money. With such a guarantee, you can easily enjoy every single day of your stay at Hotel Mandakini. Best rates on official website start at INR 1,190.00. edit
- Hotel Mandakini Plaza, 7/135, Swaroop Nagar, ☎ +91 7388280001, . Offers 39 air-conditioned rooms and suites, fitted with a 100-channel cable TV, bathroom with hot and cold water, refrigerator and internet access. It houses two conference rooms that can fit up to 150 and 500 persons, and party and marriage lawn that can accommodate up to 1,000 guests. edit
- Hotel Mandakini Palace Kanpur, Civil Lines, ☎ +91 7388280001, . Three star hotel offering nine superior rooms and 12 suites, all have individually controlled air-conditioning, private bath with hot and cold water, and refrigerator. It also has a conference facility and restaurant that can accommodate up to 250 persons. Room rate starts at Rp 2,690.00++. edit
- Hotel Little Chef Kanpur, Civil Lines. Three star hotel offering nine superior rooms and 12 suites, all have individually controlled air-conditioning, private bath with hot and cold water, and refrigerator. It also has a conference facility and restaurant that can accommodate up to 250 persons. Room rate starts at Rp 2,500++. edit
- Hotel Vijay Villa Kanpur, Tilak Nagar. Hotel rising high above the high-rise landscape of the city. Room rate starts at Rp 2,500++. edit
- Landmark Hotel, mall road. Five star hotel rising high above the high-rise landscape of the city's Mall road area. edit
- Hotel Bliss, Gumti No. 5. The hotel offers a variety of comfort facilities and fine dining at moderate prices. Guests are spoilt with the traditional hospitality and food. The hotel offers an excellent view of the nearby lake and is a recommended stay in Kanpur. edit
- Hotel Mahadeva Regency, Gumti No. 5. The rooms are air conditioned. Free airport and railway station transfers. edit