Lake Roine from the Vehoniemenharju observation tower
Kangasala  is a town in Western Finland.
Enshrined in Zacharias Topelius' 1853 poem Kesäpäivä Kangasalla ("A Summer Day in Kangasala"), the ridges (harju) and lakes of Kangasala are known throughout Finland.
Kangasala is 30 minutes from Tampere by bus. Line 70 departs from just outside the train station (€5.00).
By car from Tampere, follow signage to Kangasala. Two main routes are via Lahti highway or smaller local road (the old highway) starting next to Tampere-talo and University of Tampere.
- Emperor's Ridge (Keisarinharju). Visited by King Gustav III of Sweden and Czar Alexander I of Russia in 1819 (hence the current name). The old wooden sightseeing tower here was burned down in 2006 but has been rebuilt since. Pathway to Keisarinharju sighseeing tower begins at Mobilia. Other sightseeing towers are located at the town center near church (Kirkkoharju), at the north end of lake Vesijärvi (Haralanharju), near Vehoniemen automuseo (Vehoniemenharju) and Pohtiolampi camping center. From Haralanharju tower you can see the view that inspired the much-loved traditional poem and song "Kesäpäivä Kangasalla".
- Kangasala Church (Kangasalan kirkko), Myllystenpohjantie 2, tel. +358-3-2887111, . A stately old church built from gray stone in the 1760s. A famous "blood stone" (verikivi) in the north wall slowly leaks a reddish, bloodlike substance.
- Mobilia, Kustaa Kolmannentie 75 (Kisaranta), tel. +358-3-31404000, . An "automobile and road museum" that, true to the name, showcases lots of old and unusual cars. A must for the motoring buff but skippable for the rest of us. Open daily 10 AM to 4 PM in winter, until 8 PM in summer.
- Vehoniemen automuseo Vehoniemenharjuntie 92, tel. +358 -3-376 7795 . A nice, small car museum with some rarities. Free entrance! The museum has a cafe and a shop, which, among other things, has a lot of model cars for sale. The museum is located on a ridge in a nature preservation area, the area is great for small hikes and there is a free observation tower with some of the best views in Finland. Open daily April 1 - September 30: 10 am - 7 pm; October 1 - December 10: 10 am - 4 pm.
- Kangasalan lepokoti, . An old villa with a long and colourful history. It is located just next the town center and has offered lodging and workspaces for many Finnish writers, composers and other artists for 100 years. Guided tours are available by request and during summer there is a small shop selling local handicrafts. edit
- Kaarinan polku (Kaarina's path). 60 km hiking path through Kangasala, that goes through remote wilderness and historical places. You can get maps at Kangasala Town office or at Mobilia. edit
- Pohtiolampi, . Sighting tower, restaurant/cafe, salmon fishing and chance to see ospreys hunting. Located next to stone age Sarsa settlements and the location of the biggest natural disaster in Nordic countries (1604 overnight catastrophical draining of lake Längelmävesi caused by postglacial rebound, man-made changes in drainage, and rains). edit
- Marjamäki Willow Farm (Marjamäen Pajutila), Hanuri-Topin tie 35 , FI-36200 Kangasala, ☎ +358 3 3771 301 (fax: +358 3 3771 360), . The warm and welcoming farm offers a wide variety of wickerwork produce but beautiful things for the home and the garden as well. Also worth a visit is their heaven of cakes on the attic of the old barn. edit
- Ravintola Paakari, Ruutanantie 3, 36200 Kangasala, . High quality restaurant in the center of Kangasala serving food from local ingredients. Also has a cafe and pastry shop downstairs. edit
- Aryana, Lentolankuja 2, 36220 Kangasala, . The only Afghan restaurant in Finland, serving also more local variants. edit
- Caroline, Kuohunharjuntie 26, . Pub and restaurant, serving "traditional" restaurant food such as steaks, burgers, pasta etc. edit
Unfortunately there are currently no hotels at Kangasala (as of 6/2012) but you can find many good hotels at neighbouring Tampere.
- Uotilan lomamökit, . Offers cottages for rent - from posh villas to more traditional Finnish summer cottages. edit
- Lomaroine, . Rents traditional (both modern and old style) cottages. edit
As Finland in general, life is safe in Kangasala.
- For urgent need of medical treatment, Kangasala health center reception (Terveyskeskus) is at Herttualantie 28. Open weekdays at 8-21 and weekends at 9-21.
- In medical emergencies, nearest ER is at Tampere University Hospital (ACUTA). In emergency, call 112 (free from all phones).