Kamphaeng Phet (กำแพงเพชร) is the Capital City of the Province of this name in Lower Northern Thailand. It is pronounced "Gamphaeng Pet"
Geographically located in the Lower North on the bank of the Ping River, Kamphaeng Phet (pronounced Gampaeng Pet) is 358 kilometres from Bangkok. To its East are riverine flatlands while the western areas are made up of high mountains lush with fertile forests where a number of national parks have been established.
Areas along the river bank at present-day Mueang district used to host several ancient towns which had played a major role as strategic front-line frontiers since Sukhothai was the kingdom's capital down through the times of Ayutthaya and early Rattanakosin (Bangkok) eras. In fact, the name Kamphaeng Phet actually means as strong as walls or forts make of diamonds.
A minibus from Nakhon Sawan bus station will cost 90 Baht, and it stops in the bus station which is distant from the city itself.
An aircon bus from Nakhon Sawan will cost 97 Baht and takes 1.5 hours.
Bus Route 18 from Chiang Mai will take five hours. A full ticket to Bangkok is 488 Baht, and bus companies may wish to charge this much for a seat leaving Chiang Mai, regardless of distance. Shop around, as several companies run this route under contract.
There are Tuk Tuks and motorcycle taxis here, but none were noted at the bus station on arrival.
From the bus station, which is several kilometers out of town across the river, you can take a Red/Brown songthaew from Platform 1 near the ticket windows on the left, which appears to operate as a taxi and charges according to the number of passengers. With 4 persons, the cost was 40 Baht each. As at June 2016, with only one person the driver charged 20 Baht.
Inside the city, there are Tuk Tuks close to the mid town market (close to the Phet hotel), and these take you to the bus station for 60 Baht.
Otherwise, this is not a really large city and if you enjoy walking, you can get around easily.
- Phra Ruang Hot Springs (Thai: บ่อน้ำพุร้อน พระร่วง), GPS 16.658304 N, 99.469499 E (16°39'29.9"N 99°28'10.2"E). Lan Dokmai, Mueang Kamphaeng Phet District, Kamphaeng Phet 62110. The hot springs of Phra Ruang are 25 km from the main town. A precise route is to follow Highway 101 north (towards Sukhothai) out of Kamphaeng Phet town for 13 km, and then a left at Route 1068, and 12 km up this road you'll come upon the springs, can't be missed. Open from 08:00 - 18:00.
- Otherwise there are many great national parks where you can do some hiking.
- Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park, north of city (Travel on Route 101 to 16.486328 N, 99.522421 E.). 09.00-16.00. In former times Kamphaeng Phet was part of the Sukhothai kingdom. Ruins from this time are found to the immediate north of the new city. In 1991 these, along with the two related historical cities, became a world heritage site. 100 Baht. edit
Fees are as follows: Thai citizens 20 Baht, foreigners 100 Baht, bicycles 10 Baht, and for North Park the fee for motorcycles is 20 Baht, tricycles are 30 Baht and an automobile will cost 50 Baht to bring in.
The ticket is good for the calendar day on which it is purchased, and multiple entries are possible at the following entrances:
- Historical Park Information Center and Ticket Office (Thai ศูนย์ข้อมูลการท่องเที่ยวอุทยานประวัติศาสตร์), GPS 16.486328 N, 99.522421 E (16°29'10.8"N 99°31'20.7"E)
- Main Park, East Entrance (Historical Park Information Center), GPS 16.486318 N, 99.522056 E (16°29'10.7"N 99°31'19.4"E)
- Main Park, West Entrance (City Pillar Shrine), GPS 16.489215 N, 99.516297 E (16°29'21.2"N 99°30'58.7"E)
Some of the most popular temples within the Main Park are the following:
- Wat Phra That (Thai วัดพระธาตุ), GPS 16.487580 N, 99.520360 E (16°29'15.3"N 99°31'13.3"E)
- Wat Phra Kaeo (Thai โบราณสถานวัดพระแก้ว), GPS 16.488352 N, 99.517916 E (16°29'18.1"N 99°31'04.5"E) has a superb reclining Buddha that is iconic to the city.
- Wat Chang Phuak (Thai โบราณสถานวัดช้างเผือก), GPS 16.488973 N, 99.516284 E (16°29'20.3"N 99°30'58.6"E)
The North Park is outside on the old city walls. The North Park, South Entrance (Wat Pa Mud Nog) is 1.1 km from the Main Park, West Entrance (City Pillar Shrine).
- North Park, South Entrance (Wat Pa Mud Nog), GPS 16.498142 N, 99.515755 E (16°29'53.3"N 99°30'56.7"E)
- North Park, East Entrance (Banbosamsaen School), GPS 16.507025 N, 99.520029 E (16°30'25.3"N 99°31'12.1"E)
Some of the most popular temples within the North Park are the following:
- Wat Phra Si Ariyabot (Thai วัดพระสี่อิริยาบท), GPS 16.501275 N, 99.514491 E (16°30'04.6"N 99°30'52.2"E) with the massive standing Buddha is one of the highlights of the Historical Park.
- Wat Chang Rob (Thai โบราณสถานวัดช้างรอบ), GPS 16.502934 N, 99.509748 E (16°30'10.6"N 99°30'35.1"E) is the highest elevation on the cycle path. Most of the other sites are on comparatively flat terrain. This is the superb "Temple Surrounded by Elephants".
- Wat Sing (Thai โบราณสถานวัดสิงห์), GPS 16.502370 N, 99.513988 E (16°30'08.5"N 99°30'50.4"E)
- Wat Phra Non (Thai วัดพระนอน), GPS 16.498999 N, 99.514987 E (16°29'56.4"N 99°30'54.0"E)
- Wat Awas Yai (Thai โบราณสถานวัดอาวาสใหญ่), GPS 16.508209 N, 99.518446 E (16°30'29.6"N 99°31'06.4"E)
Other temples in the North Park include:
- Wat Khao Luk Rang, Location: 16.5003789 N, 99.5095801 E
- Wat Mamhang Ngam, Location: 16.4997004 N, 99.5108953 E
- Wat Nak Jet Sein, Location: 16.4990244 N, 99.5117039 E
- Wat Pa Mut Nai, Location: 16.4970615 N, 99.5131103 E
- Wat Pa Laeng, Location: 16.4968161 N, 99.5122905 E
- Wat Pa Mued, Location: 16.4979627 N, 99.5145442 E
- Wat Pa Mued Nok, Location: 16.4978700 N, 99.5156120 E
- Wat Ta Baek, Location: 16.4968218 N, 99.5108840 E
- Wat Ramronarong, Location: 16.4973077 N, 99.5107843 E
- Wat Ma Phi, Location: 16.4960649 N, 99.5110510 E
- Wat Mondop, Location: 16.4954559 N, 99.5111854 E
- Wat Khao Luk Rang, Location: 16.5003789 N, 99.5095801 E
- Wat Kongchai, Location: 16.5004955 N, 99.5159167 E
- Wat Chedi Klom, Location: 16.5022178 N, 99.5166979 E
- Wat Kamphaeng Ngam, Location: 16.5036468 N, 99.5150577 E
- Wat Pekaram, Location: 16.5051752 N, 99.5134543 E
- Wat Ma Khet, Location: 16.5064258 N, 99.5151992 E
- Wat Rim Tang, Location: 16.5081945 N, 99.5133556 E
- Wat Ma Khok, Location: 16.5076362 N, 99.5150644 E
- Wat Kru Si Hong, Location: 16.5045468 N, 99.5185215 E
In addition to the main parks, there are fortifications and temples on the west side of Highway 101:
- Petch Fortress (Thai ป้อมเพชร), GPS 16.492686 N, 99.513477 E (16°29'33.7"N 99°30'48.5"E)
- Chao in Fortress (Thai ป้อมเจ้าอินทร์), GPS 16.488274 N, 99.514958 E (16°29'17.8"N 99°30'53.9"E)
- Chao Chan Old Fortification (Thai โบราณสถานป้อมเจ้าจันทร์), GPS 16.486764 N, 99.517717 E (16°29'12.4"N 99°31'03.8"E)
- Dan Gate (Thai ประตูดั้น), GPS 16.487272 N, 99.517844 E (16°29'14.2"N 99°31'04.2"E)
- The Kamphaeng Phet National Museum (Thai พิพิธภัณฑสถานแห่งชาติกำแพงเพชร), GPS 16.488343 N, 99.522174 E (16°29'18.0"N 99°31'19.8"E) 112 กำแพงเพชร Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet 62000.
There are also other sites across the river in the Nakhon Chum neighborhood which are an extension of the Kamphaeng Phet Historical Park that are free to visit. These date from the Ayutthaya kingdom, and are nearby the main Bus Station.
- Thung Setthi Fort (Thai โบราณสถานป้อมทุ่งเศรษฐี), GPS 16.473618 N, 99.502755 E (16°28'25.0"N 99°30'09.9"E)
- Wat Chedee Klang Thung (Thai วัดเจดีย์กลางทุ่ง), GPS 16.472057 N, 99.514285 E (16°28'19.4"N 99°30'51.4"E)
- Wat Ngong Yai Chuai (Thai โบราณสถานวัดหนองยายช่วย), GPS 16.468394 N, 99.514547 E (16°28'06.2"N 99°30'52.4"E)
- Wat Nong Langka (Thai วัดหนองลังกา), GPS 16.468403 N, 99.510984 E (16°28'06.3"N 99°30'39.5"E)
- Wat Mong Ka Le (Thai วัดหม่องกาเล), GPS 16.467601 N, 99.509275 E (16°28'03.4"N 99°30'33.4"E)
- Wat Nong Phikul (Thai วัดหนองพิกุล), GPS 16.470210 N, 99.509243 E (16°28'12.8"N 99°30'33.3"E). 14th century chedi.
- Wat Phra Borommathat Jediyaram (Thai วัดพระบรมธาตุเจดียาราม), GPS 16.479665 N, 99.510396 E (16°28'46.8"N 99°30'37.4"E) is a 14th century chedi which was reworked in the mid 19th century. This is an active temple, with additional modern building and a school.
- Soi Chakungrao Leading up to Wat Phra Borommathat Jediyaram has a community based tourism project with a few signs describing the area.
- Big C Supercenter (Thai: บิ๊กซี ซูเปอร์เซ็นเตอร์ กำแพงเพชร ), GPS 16.475768 N, 99.541468 E (16°28'32.8"N 99°32'29.3"E), 613/1 Charoensuk Rd, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet. Shopping mall with a movie theater (Major Cineplex Kamphaengphet).
- Tesco Lotus, GPS 16.471440 N, 99.533909 E (16°28'17.2"N 99°32'02.1"E), 209 Bumrungrat, Nai Mueang, Kamphaeng Phet. Big full store version of Tesco Lotus with a KFC eatery.
- 7 Eleven, GPS 16.471597 N, 99.533641 E (16°28'17.8"N 99°32'01.1"E), 194 Bumrungrat, Nai Mueang, Kamphaeng Phet. Across the street from the Phet Diamond Hotel.
- 7 Eleven, GPS 16.474706 N, 99.530360 E (16°28'28.9"N 99°31'49.3"E), 75 Vijit 2, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet.
- 7 Eleven, GPS 16.482901 N, 99.522581 E (16°28'58.4"N 99°31'21.3"E), กพ.3002 Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet.
- 7-Eleven, GPS 16.479749 N, 99.526371 E (16°28'47.1"N 99°31'34.9"E), Rachadumnoen 1, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet.
- 7 Eleven, GPS 16.473330 N, 99.534376 E (16°28'24.0"N 99°32'03.8"E), Thanon Charoensuk, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet. This is next to the clock tower, and is the closest to the historical parks.
- Kamphaeng Phet Provincial Night Bazaar Market (Thai ตลาดสดไนท์บาซาร์จังหวัดกำแพงเพชร), GPS 16.470396 N, 99.527961 E (16°28'13.4"N 99°31'40.7"E) Tesa 1 Rd, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet.
- Cha Kangrao Night Bazaar (Thai ไนท์บาซ่า ชากังราว), GPS 16.470971 N, 99.528059 E (16°28'15.5"N 99°31'41.0"E), Tesa 1 Rd, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet.
- Night Market (Thai ตลาดไนท์พลาซ่ากำแพงเพชร), GPS 16.470562 N, 99.527516 E (16°28'14.0"N 99°31'39.1"E), Sirijit, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet.
- Coffee Today, town centre. (look for the clock and the fountain.). Possibly the best, maybe the only 'western' coffee shop in town. Cappuccinos at 50 baht, selection of sweet snacks, wifi. On the street corner opposite the town fountain. Intersection of Thanon Tesa 1 and Thanon Kamphaengphet. Popular. 2012. medium. (16.4831,99.5231) edit
There are plenty of street eats here, but written in Thai. Just point at what you think looks good and take your chances!
At the Night Plaza, about a Km from the Phet Hotel, and close to the Ping River, is the night plaza.
This is a market, and also an eating place.
The cooking stalls have sitdown places at back, and some actually have English menus(despite few tourists here).
Prawns with garlic (pat kratiam) with a large bottle of Chang beer was B150. Food very good.
- Oasis A German restaurant a bit outside the town, got only western dishes and more than 15 different German beers. very popular place.
- Country Food Restaurant (Thai ร้านเพชรหมูกะทะ), GPS, 16.477346 N, 99.533268 E (16°28'38.5"N 99°31'59.8"E). Located at 12/1, Rachavitee 1 (Thai 12/1, ซอย1 ถนนราชวิถี, ตำบลในเมือง อำเภอเมือง จังหวัดกำแพงเพชร). There is an all you can eat self serve buffet table barbecue, with an excellent selection of very fresh vegetables, meat, shrimp and fish. They have a school notebook with a handwritten description of the meal options, which summarizes what they have to offer. In closing, their translator has written a statement "any questions feel free to ask", which is charming. This is open from 16:00 to 22:00 daily. There are two price tiers for the buffet. There is one for meat only. The second price level is for all you can eat meat and also all you can eat fish. The reason for this is that they will bring two separate sets of hot coals. It is located 170 meters west of 3 J Guesthouse.
- Laem Thong Restaurant (Thai: ร้านลาบแม่ทองเลื่อน), GPS at 16.476488 N, 99.504896 E (16°28'35.4"N 99°30'17.6"E). A great local restaurant 600 meters west of the bus terminal, near Mommy's Home. English is not spoken at all, but the food is tasty.
It is important to note that contrary to anything the hotel booking sites show on their maps, there are no hotels at the traffic circle at GPS 16.482823 N, 99.522762 E (16°28'58.2"N 99°31'21.9"E) near the Clock Tower. None. Some of the hotels shown at the Clock Tower on certain sites are actually 2.6 km away, and on the wrong side of the river. It is best to verify by seeing the street view on Google Maps to verify that your hotel is where the booking site show. This is a convenient point for mappers to pin a hotel when the exact physical address is unknown.
- 3 J Guesthouse, 79 Rachavitee Rd (south side of town.), ☎ 055-713-129, . checkout: 12.00. Low cost, basic rooms (entirely adequate and clean), fan or aircon, very pleasant garden environment. Small range of food offered, bikes for hire (200 Baht a day) and bicycles also available for rent. Family run business, good spoken English, helpful advice about touring the town and ruins. About 2 kms south of city center. GPS 16.478510 N, 99.535536 E (16°28'42.6"N 99°32'07.9"E). Motorbike taxi 50 Baht from bus station or call for a pickup by the hotel for about 50 Baht. 200 - 400 Baht. (16.4786,99.5355) edit
- Riverside Scenic Resort is a great and relaxing place to stay. Lots of local info and near the old city.
- P. Paradise Hotel, GPS 16.474729 N, 99.536500 E (16°28'29.0"N 99°32'11.4"E), Tesaban 2 Soi 2, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet.
- Phet Hotel The Diamond of Kamphaengphet (โรงแรมเพชร กำแพงเพชร), 189 Bamruprat Rd -189 ถนนบำรุงราษฏร์ อ.เมือง จ.กำแพงเพขร 62000 ประเทศไทย, ☎ 055 712810. GPS: 16.471597 N, 99.533641 E (16°28'17.8"N 99°32'01.1"E). Hotel is in the center of the city close to the market. It is a good hotel and some English is spoken at Reception. From the outside the hotel looks to be rather worn, but inside is clean, modern, and well appointed. Cost is 700 Baht with breakfast. Credit cards accepted. It has a restaurant,bar, and karaoke etc. A city map is available (free) at Reception. The Ping River is roughly one Km distant from the hotel (turn right and walk straight ahead). edit
- Chakungrao Hotel This hotel is advertised as riverview. You can see the river from the lower floors through the shrubbery, but you will need to be on at least the fourth floor to see the river properly. Cost is 1,000 Baht for one person in a twin room, and 1,300 Baht for a double, and this is overpriced for what you get. Breakfast is included and has good choices. There is no shampoo provided. The Bangkok Post in English is provided in the lobby with the usual Thai language newspapers. Reception are very helpful and friendly.
- Navarat Heritage Hotel, GPS 16.468899 N, 99.528670 E (16°28'08.0"N 99°31'43.2"E), Tesa 1 Soi 21, Nai Mueang, Kamphaeng Phet. Close to the Night Market.
- Baan Mae - Mommy's House Hotel (โรงแรมบ้านแม่ ) The actual hotel location is off of Highway 101 outside of the main city at 16.4748365 N, 99.502977 E in Nakhon Chum, near the Thung Setthi Old Fortification. Most websites show it (and other hotels) at 16.482684 N, 99.522722 E, which is the location of the Clock Tower, 2.6 km away and on the other side of the river. It is actually 650 meters to the west of the Kamphaeng Phet Bus Terminal. 250/17 Amphoe Muang Kamphaeng Phet is not a complete address at all in the terms that Westerners are used to. The street sign is hand painted, and only in Thai. Google Maps does properly show โรงแรมบ้านแม่ Mommy"s House Hotel at the correct location. (Note that Google Maps has a " instead of a ' for the spelling of Mommy's). If you want a hotel near the bus station, this is a quiet location. The WiFi and air conditioning work very well, the bathrooms have hot water heaters in the shower. There is a medium sized fridge, and they provide two small bottle of water on arrival. The beds are very firm. Very limited English spoken, which is a shame, as they are very friendly and truly try to help. 270 Baht and up.
- Kamphaeng Phet Provincial Police (Thai ตำรวจภูธรจังหวัดกำแพงเพชร), GPS 16.484478 N, 99.520630 E (16°29'04.1"N 99°31'14.3"E). 96, ถนนเทศา 2, ตำบลในเมือง อำเภอเมือง จังหวัดกำแพงเพชร, 62000 Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet 62000, Thailand. Tel: +66 55 713 377.
- Kamphang Phet Hospital (Thai: โรงพยาบาลกำแพงเพชร), GPS 16.463202 N, 99.528991 E (16°27'47.5"N 99°31'44.4"E). 382ถนนราชดำเนิน, อำเภอเมือง จ.กำแพงเพชร, 62000 Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Kamphaeng Phet, Chang Wat Kamphaeng Phet 62000, Thailand
There are minibuses every 60 to 90 minutes from the bus station costing 80 Baht. Takes 2 hours. Buy the ticket on the minibus (Bus 185).
Wintour VIP bus ticket to Bangkok 260 Baht, Platform 13 or 14, noon scheduled departure on the bus returning from Sri Satchanalai.
Platform 1 has the Local Truck 3 to Market - Hospital. A fare collector will likely ride with the truck once it leaves. This is the main service to the city center that leaves from the platforms. Other green songthaews run on the highway, but do not stop inside the terminal.
Bus 18 Bangkok - Chiang Mai
Bus 94 Bangkok - Kamphaeng Phet
Bus 100 Bangkok - Utarradit
Bus 114 Nakhon Sawan - Kamphaeng Phet
Bus 130 (Songthaew Truck) Kamphaeng Phet - Sukhothai, runs when full, 65 Baht per passenger. Monitor for station also showed Songtheaw 130 to Sukhothai with a 14:30 and 15:00 scheduled departure.
Bus 168 Nakhon - Mae Sot has very frequent service.
Bus 185 Kamphaeng Phet - Phi Chit
Local 185 Salon Bat
Local 185 Phichit (Van Minibus)
Local 194 Phitsanulok (Van Minibus)
Local 642 Tak (Songthaew)
Bus 875 Chiang Mai - Kanchanaburi
Bus 925 Bangkok - Sawankhalok
Local 1111 Slok Bat
Local 2198 Klong Lan (Songthaew)
Local 2530 Khlong Khlung (Green Truck)
|Routes through Kamphaeng Phet